800 calories/day for 5 days but zero weight loss - why?

Options
OK so my BMI hit 29.9 and weight reached 187lbs hence I'm on a 800 calories per day diet. Strangely it's been five days and I have lost no weight whatsoever despite reading about the wonders it has done for others - quite disappointed needless to say.

I'm eating super healthy - oats for brekkie with fruits and nuts, soup and salad at lunch and heavy protein at dinner (grilled chicken or salmon with spinach/broccoli/zucchini) plus salad. I'm not a junk eater so I don't feel the need to eat in between meals - I do occasionally eat a date or two and I drink way more than 8 glasses of water a day and a few cups of green tea. So what am I doing wrong?

I'm doing light exercise - sit ups, squats, arm exercises with light weights, leg raises and various Pilates exercises. I work from home so I don't get a ton of exercise - why is the 800 a day plan not working for me?!!

Please share your experiences - all advice welcome at this point!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    800 is unhealthy- you are not getting the nutrition you need.

Put your stats into MFP to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week.
    Buy a digital food scale, weigh and log all food. (Liquids cups and spoons)
    Learn to use accurate entries.
    Stick with it for a month or two.

It takes time to lose weight.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight in 5 days...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's nothing healthy about 800 calories...

It's only been 5 days...

Expectations are not in line with reality...
  • nads_ayoub
    nads_ayoub Posts: 24 Member
    Options

You are so right!! Three pregnancies (3 lovely boys produced over the past 10 years), way too many vacations and lots of 'happy moments' as I call them, have all contributed to the weight. It's just that I keep hearing about people who lose a kg per week and that ain't happening here!! Xx
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    800 calories a day is incredibly unhealthy, and is also dangerous. Your body is burning calories 24/7....HEART, lungs, brain, etc. Because you aren't providing adequate fuel your body has to make choices......fuel a full head of hair....or the heart muscle. Google very low calorie diets and hair loss.

1200 calories before exercise is as low as MFP will go (for women) ......this is to help you get adequate nutrition.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    nads_ayoub wrote: »

You are so right!! Three pregnancies (3 lovely boys produced over the past 10 years), way too many vacations and lots of 'happy moments' as I call them, have all contributed to the weight. It's just that I keep hearing about people who lose a kg per week and that ain't happening here!! Xx

Comparison is the thief of joy...

Stop the crash diet, start making healthy lifestyle changes....
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've found on weeks I've felt I've eaten more it equals a weight loss rather than when I've cut calories too low, minimum should be 1200. Slow and steady, there's no quick fix or short cuts. Less doesn't necessarily mean more weight loss when you go below base calories and its not sustainable.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options

It is easy to fall into this trap, but you have to remember that a kg/week is only healthy for very overweight people. Much more overweight than you. Set goals according to what you and your body need, not others around you.

This post has some helpful info on setting goals:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    (quoted from the post linked above) " I think .5 to 1% bodyweight per week is a good general recommendation for most people. Very obese people may go a bit faster."
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Those people are massively overweight...obese/morbidly obese...
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    800 calories a day is incredibly unhealthy, and is also dangerous. Your body is burning calories 24/7....HEART, lungs, brain, etc. Because you aren't providing adequate fuel your body has to make choices......fuel a full head of hair....or the heart muscle. Google very low calorie diets and hair loss.

1200 calories before exercise is as low as MFP will go (for women) ......this is to help you get adequate nutrition.

+1 Seriously. 800 is too low.
  • nads_ayoub
    Options
    I am consuming 80g of protein and 60g of carbs and 27g of fat daily. I know that's more than required amount of protein needed for a day and just a little lower on the carb and fat allowances recommended for daily intake. So how is it unhealthy? All advice welcome as I really need to learn more about this. Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am consuming 80g of protein and 60g of carbs and 27g of fat daily. I know that's more than required amount of protein needed for a day and just a little lower on the carb and fat allowances recommended for daily intake. So how is it unhealthy? All advice welcome as I really need to learn more about this. Thanks

If 800cals a day was healthy, why would mfp have given you at least 1200 when you put your stats in?!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/931670/bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide/p1

In addition to the Guide to Sexy pants link, here is another one to help explain Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)- if you are confused about why you need to eat at least 1200 calories (MFP's minimum).
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest you should go. Good luck on your journey and be healthy! :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

you might find this post helpful
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

fat shouldnt be that low unless you have to follow a low fat diet per drs orders. otherwise fat wont make you fat and its needed to help with hormone regulation and to help with vitamin and mineral breakdown.with your carbs that low you also need to up the fat.low carb low fat isnt healthy.when one macro comes down you need to up another
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2017
    Options

Part of "healthy" is providing the body with an appropriate amount of energy...that's what a calorie is...energy. Your body needs nutrition as well as energy (calories) to function...

This is what would be considered a VLCD and should only be done under the care of a medical professional...typically reserved for the morbidly obese...
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,268 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I consume 1600 calories a day and have lost 15 lbs in 15 weeks ...

it could be that your sit ups etc have caused muscle soreness which in turn causes your muscles to hold onto water which makes it appear like you are not losing weight ... on 800 calories a day you are most certainly losing weight it just takes a little longer sometimes to show on the scales

however ... 800 calories is still not enough to eat, I am talking from experience .. I done a diet like this many years ago and ended up with the scale showing me a weight loss but the mirror showing me muscle loss and lack of muscle definition

I had a 2 inch larger waist at 180 lbs than I do now at 198 lbs .. all thanks to a 800-1000 calorie diet

This time round I am looking after my precious muscle mass .
  • nads_ayoub
    Options
    Just like to thank you to each and every one of you for sharing good advice - I know how easy it is to move on to the next post! Have lots of reading to do on this tomorrow - I do feel extremely full with everything that I eat so I'm not sure if I can add too many more calories but perhaps I can gobble a Tbp of peanut butter and other good fats to get a higher count.

Re obesity, my recent medical reports did declare me as obese so I know that weight needs to be shed but perhaps I need to do some cardio and just move more!

Bless you all for being a great bunch for advice. Xx