At what point do I need GUs, etc?

Options
I'm training for a half marathon and so far my long run is up to 8 miles. I have to start my early morning running while fasting (meds). Up until now I've been fine to wait until the run is finished to eat something. At what point do I need to bring something along for while I run?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon without fueling.

For my second half I added a gel or 2. For training runs I take a gel if I am doing 10 miles or more.

I also make sure I eat plenty the night before my long run the next morning. Then I have my normal protein enriched cereal an hour before I go out.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I usually don't gel unless I am running double digits. But if you are fasting and feeling you need the support, its whatever you feel you need. If you're doing 8 and feeling you need something then go for it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon and so far my long run is up to 8 miles. I have to start my early morning running while fasting (meds). Up until now I've been fine to wait until the run is finished to eat something. At what point do I need to bring something along for while I run?

It's very individual. For my first HM I experimented with gels and chews in training, then opted for gels on race day. Essentially I didn't need the gels in training, which led to an added boost in the race.

For a HM I'll take an SIS gel every 30 minutes, after a bowl of porridge after getting up.

For training runs up to 16 miles I don't bother now, but will carry a couple of gels for longer runs and take them at about 45 minutes on those sessions.

You just need to experiment to find out what you need.

Fwiw training for that first HM I only experimented on runs of more than 10 miles.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You'll have to figure that out on your own. I generally don't take any or a few gels as possible in training. During my last half I think i used 2.
  • Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on an empty stomach. For all of my training runs that are 8+ miles, I would take gummy bears or those Gatorade chews with me to have after an hour or 6 miles or so. Apparently your glycogen reserves are supposed to last about an hour; not sure how true this is, but seemed about right for me. Also, might be a good idea to find out if your race offers any GU along the route, and at what mile. Then, you can try it for yourself on a training run. The Half that I did offered them at mile 7 or 8.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I run half marathons and have never used them during a run - training or race. If you decide to try something, be sure to use it on training runs before taking them to a race.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Any run longer than about 8 miles, I find that some sort of fuel makes a pretty big difference for me. My theory on this is that I'm kind of small, so my immediately-available energy stores are limited. I know plenty of people who can and do run half marathons without any special fueling, so it just depends on what works for you.

I wouldn't say there's a point at which you NEED to start fueling. But as your runs get longer, if you start to feel like you're hitting a wall at mile 9 or 10, for example, try a gel or something after mile 6 or 7, and see if it helps.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For myself, I definitely need something by around 10 miles or else I'm toast.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Over 15 miles for me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on your pace and how long it will take you to finish the HM. Running for three hours without fuel is quite different than running for an hour and a half or two hours without fuel. In my last HM I finished in about 2:24 and I had two gels. I usually take fuel on training runs of 8 miles or more, but I never run fasted, so you may want food sooner.

Bottom line, bring a gel with you if you think you'll need it. No harm in having it if you don't use it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    If you eat well before your race, you probably don't actually need anything for a HM, however it can give a real psychological boost during your race or more difficult long runs. I usually take a gel for runs over 12 miles. It is also very good to practice ahead of time if you intend to take them during your race. I had a very hard time finding ones I liked and that didn't upset my stomach too much. (The first time I took one, I had horrible cramps for about 10 minutes.) I also learned that it's better to take them earlier rather than wait until you are exhausted because a) they take about 10 minutes before the sugar/carbs helps much, and b) they are harder to digest if you take them on a completely empty stomach. That's why the package says to take one just before the race and then one every 45 minutes. Your stomach is always working on something, and never completely empty.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I only use gels for runs longer than 30km (18ish miles). I've never used one for a hm, but I think it all really depends on how long you're out there and how you feel. I think I've read both over 90 minutes and over 2 hours, but I've found I can do ok up to 2.5 hours as long as I've had some oats and toast for breakfast.