Being in desert/ how to lose water weight/sodium question

Options
Hi, so the short version of this question is what is the best way to lose water weight?

The long version of this question is that I'm in the desert for a golf tournament, so I'm drinking things like pedialyte to stay hydrated and increased my sodium intake. My priority out here is to be hydrated so I can perform well since I'm not used to this heat.

I'm certain I'm going to have gained some water weight after being out here for ten days. I've been on a low calorie diet three weeks before coming out here to lose some extra fat I had gained. This week, I'm eating at matainence. Once I get back to my diet/calorie deficit next week, I want to make sure I'm not bloated, etc.

Any tips?
Thanks!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fainting from heat exhaustion and dehydration are the big issues for you now.

Bloat is not fat gained or lost.

Wait until you get back before you switch out to plain water. You will return to normal in a few days.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You could try a diuretic tea but I don't see the point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    anewell28 wrote: »
    Hi, so the short version of this question is what is the best way to lose water weight?

The long version of this question is that I'm in the desert for a golf tournament, so I'm drinking things like pedialyte to stay hydrated and increased my sodium intake. My priority out here is to be hydrated so I can perform well since I'm not used to this heat.

I'm certain I'm going to have gained some water weight after being out here for ten days. I've been on a low calorie diet three weeks before coming out here to lose some extra fat I had gained. This week, I'm eating at matainence. Once I get back to my diet/calorie deficit next week, I want to make sure I'm not bloated, etc.

Any tips?
    Thanks!

Eating foods high in potassium and magnesium will help mitigate bloat from sodium, since they are electrolytes as well. But if you are sweating, you will gain and playing, you will burn through a lot of electrolytes. Now if you want to mitigate some of the calories, look into emergen-c and NUUN tables. They are good electrolytes for fairly cheap.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Unless you have to meet a weight class goal for a competition immediately upon return, this shouldn't be a concern at all.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In three or four days you will pee it out. Drink the water. Stay hydrated.
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona. it's 120 in the summer and I ride a motorcycle to and from work some days. Take it from me, drink when your body says drink.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Just go back to your normal habits, and your body will process out the extra water.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert. Drink plenty of water, seriously it's not just the heat but the very arid conditions. Pedialyte is good, so is unfiltered coconut water, or if you can stand it make your own in a bottle of water by mixing 4 teaspoona of sugar and 1 of salt into a 20oz water bottle. Also, have oranges handy (not juice, the whole orange). The basic rule I tell people that visit here is that if you stop sweating, you are dehydrated.