Missing work outs when sick

Options
Tell me I shouldn't feel guilty for taking a sick day...right? I have tons of congestion happening in my chest. Stomach isn't feeling the best. I'm at a point where I *could* work out but would probably have trouble breathing clearly and I'm just plain tired. I know it's okay, I just feel guilty, like I'm cheating. I'm doing T25 and am in week two of Gamma. I haven't missed a single day until now. Maybe I can do an extra double to make up for it... ugh.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Rest for goodness sake, why make yourself sicker for longer by exercising when you are clearly not well.

Give yourself plenty of time to recover properly before you go off doing double lots of intensive exercise.

Don't go making a martyr of yourself, absolutely no reason to feel guilty.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Intense exercise REDUCES immunity. If you don't rest, then you may not ever recover from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Rest!
    I find it really hard when am sick - but working out makes everything worse, and illnesses hang around longer!

I use sick days as a challenge to stay within calorie goal, takes my mind off the 'not moving' aspect as much.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm a die hard exerciser, and I haven't been able to do anything for about 2 months now. I've been throwing up constantly and dropped 30lbs in less than 2 months alone. I'm even currently sitting in the waiting room for bloodwork. They're now checking for celiac disease.

Health is more important than not skipping a day of an exercise program. Remember why you started eating healthy and exercising in the first place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Rest is important even if you're not sick...rest should be as much a part of your fitness protocol as the work.

Not resting when you're ill is just going to wreak havoc on your body and make the recovery much longer as your immune system will be compromised...
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've soldiered through mine. Kill or cure!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's very hard. But the bottom line is, if you can't exercise hard, it's not worth it. Take another rest day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's very hard. But the bottom line is, if you can't exercise hard, it's not worth it. Take another rest day.

So my hour long easy paced runs must be useless then.

OP I have a rule above the neck I keep exercising, below and I rest
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options

So my hour long easy paced runs must be useless then.

OP I have a rule above the neck I keep exercising, below and I rest

Be nice. I understood what she meant. T25 is not an easy paced run either.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    In general, if I am running a fever or throwing up, I do not exercise. Otherwise, I go ahead and exercise. If I feel awful I tell myself I'll workout for just ten minutes. Many times I feel better once I start working out.