Bike Advice

Options
gwenmf
gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
So, I went to a bike store today and looked at some bikes.....I want a good one so I don't hurt myself and can ride without too much stress on my joints.

I looked at a Electra Townie............the pedals are positioned a bit forward for comfort. Apparently, this manufacturer is all about comfort - in a hybrid bike for fitness, commuting and road riding. The one I was on was priced at 519, but had 21 gears....they have a downgraded one with 7 gears for 400........I left there and went to Meijer to see what they had thinking I'd spend 150 for one instead.......well, I found one marked DOWN to 150....but of the two they had, the brake line was damaged and a seat was torn............it made me shakey on their quality and I'm really considering getting the 400 from the bike store.........

anyone have any comments for me?

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I am no bicycle expert, but according to my good friend who BMX's, it is worth the extra money for a better quality bike. It will be more cost-effective in the long run.
  • nx_good
    nx_good Posts: 1
    Options
    $400 is a good price for a bike. I am a triathlete myself so my road bike cost $1200. The most important part of having a bike is making sure that it fits you properly. If you go to a quality bike shop they should put the bike on a trainer for you and let you sit on it and pedal with it. From that they should be able to tell the bike frame size you need, the height of your seat and handle bars, etc. Hope this helps
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'd go with the higher quality bike from the bike store. My husband and I made the mistake of buying bikes at a department store and the quality was very poor. A cheap bike will give you nothing but frustration and the department store can't help you out with with info or maintenance. Unless you live in a very hilly place, the $400 bike with fewer gears would probably be sufficient; I bike in a relatively flat area and only use a couple of gears. I have an 18 year old Trek bike--if you buy a decent bike with good components, it can last a long time. Happy biking!
  • sauerball
    sauerball Posts: 3
    Options
    I think a bike shop will fit you and take better care of you and your bike. I haven't rode mine in like 4 or 5 years and took it to the bike shop I bought it from to tune it up and get it ready for riding. They said no problem.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It definitely is better to spend the money on a quality bike. $400 is a decent value for a quality bike. My most recent comfort bike was almost $600. I agree with nx_good...make sure that you have it fit for you...all quality bike shopes will fit you to make sure you are comfortable. I just rode 50 miles today on my comfort bike and had a blast! Good luck!!! :happy:
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    GO TO A BIKE SHOP.
    Do not skimp on the bike if you are gonna do any amount of riding. Get a good one from a bike shop. They will fit you and you will be much happier!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you won't regret spending the extra money if biking is something you're serious about. if you are committed to this, spending the extra money now will get you in to a quality bike that isn't going to fall apart. not only that, but a local bike shop can help you chose the correct sized bike for you. if you aren't ready to spend quite that much, wait until the season is over and you can often find them for 40-60% off!!!!
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    IMHO you will be more pleased with the 21 speed bike from your Local Bike Store. The 21 speed will give you lower gearing for less stress on your knees. I bought a 7 speed Schwinn for $300 and have considered buying the parts to make it a 21. I rode 22 miles on the Schwinn today.

Of course, this is the model year end for 2011 bikes and $519 is list for the Electra Townie 21. Seems like the bike store, if its not REI, would give you a break to clear out the stock. Regardless, be sure that the store will let you ride the bike before you buy. Preferably they will let you ride the bike a couple of miles so that you can experience flats and hills. When I bought the Schwinn I was looking at a much nicer Raleigh but when I tried riding the Raleigh it just didn't feel right so I bought the Schwinn. The LBS took 10% of the price for a cash purchase so I got the bike cheaper than I could find it online plus the service at the LBS is worth paying more than getting a BBS bike (Big Box Store).

Hope this information helps. You might also want to head over to bikeforums.net and do a search for reviews on the Electra Townie.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for each and every post~! It helps so much to have opinions from folks who have the experience that I do not yet have.

I live in northern Kentucky so I'm surrounded by hills, although there are some flat bike paths that I plan to start on....that and school parking lots or tracks, etc..

I'm convinced now to get the 21 gear and hopefully can get them to lower the price a bit. I'm not sure when the season ends! It is something I'm definitely serious about. I can't wait to say I've ridden 20 miles one day~!

Much appreciation for all the great advice and comments which were some things I hadn't thought of.

I did ride the 21 gear yesterday - about a mile - up and down a pretty decent hill...which I thought I'd have to walk it up...but I didn't have to!! They did not fit me but I'm assuming (hopefully not incorrectly) that they'll fit me when I purchase and make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks again!!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to try to find an expensive used bike like a Trek or Cannondale bike. So many people buy expensive toys but don't use them. I paid $1200 for a carbon frame Trek bike 12 years ago. After I bought my bike, I found the exact same bike in the newspaper for my husband. Some guy bought the bike....did not like how a road bike felt and wanted to see it for $400 to buy a mountain bike.