WHY?????

Options
The last time I was in to see my doctor, he had a very interesting question for me. Why is it that when you tell your patient that they have cancer, they will do just about anything to try to rid of it. They will change their eating habits, take horrible chemo, radiation, etc. Yet, when someone is told to lose weight because of all the diseases that they could PREVENT... they don't change a thing. It seems that we live in a society where we only truly attempt to fix things when they are broken, not fixing things to prevent them from breaking.

How many of you are willing to fix things before they break? I know I'm going to give it my best shot! Very wise words from a very wise doctor!

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree!! It was an eye opener for me when I had to make a list of all my families illnesses or causes of death for a health class that made me realize I really need to get healthy to prevent those things from happening to me!! Now I am well on the right track!! Good Post!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The last time I was in to see my doctor, he had a very interesting question for me. Why is it that when you tell your patient that they have cancer, they will do just about anything to try to rid of it. They will change their eating habits, take horrible chemo, radiation, etc. Yet, when someone is told to lose weight because of all the diseases that they could PREVENT... they don't change a thing. It seems that we live in a society where we only truly attempt to fix things when they are broken, not fixing things to prevent them from breaking.

How many of you are willing to fix things before they break? I know I'm going to give it my best shot! Very wise words from a very wise doctor!
    Smart Doctor you have!:wink::flowerforyou:
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's so true! Once we're sick we fight like crazy to get better. I saw that Michael Douglas was back to smoking - after he had that horrible scare with throat cancer and chemo/radiation. Perfect example. Scared to death - and then complacent.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    not only do they not change things, but they sue the doctor. and win. there's a reason most doctors don't tell you to lose weight anymore. successful lawsuits from people who dont' like being told they're fat.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I agree!! It was an eye opener for me when I had to make a list of all my families illnesses or causes of death for a health class that made me realize I really need to get healthy to prevent those things from happening to me!! Now I am well on the right track!! Good Post!!!
    Though I'm sure that was a very tough list to write back then I can see a HUGE benefit in it and what a great class project it became for you and hopefully others as well.:flowerforyou:
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That is such an awesome way of looking at it. Thank you for sharing this with us. :)
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am and that's why I'm here! I have so many health issues that run in my family. I am perfectly healthy(aside from being slightly overweight) and want to stay that way!!
  • prettysmart
    Options
    I'm with you on this journey!! Working to be healthy everyday!
  • CWRose
    CWRose Posts: 62
    Options
    That is so very true, thanks for sharing it!!! I couldn't agree more!! I really like your pic by the way, thanks for that to!!! :)
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What a great post, and so true. I have battled my weight off and on all my life, but never got really serious about losing. Oh, I would lose 20 lbs and then get to a comfortable (but not healthy) weight and then quit. It was when my doctor told me that I had boderline high blood pressure that I started to take a real look at my weight.

I don't want to take blood pressure medicine, so I am trying to do everything I can to stay away from them. When I look and my family history, there is high blood pressure and diabetes all over. It is time to get my weight and eating under control before I wind up with one of these diseases. The odds are, genetics will eventually win, but I am going to fight like crazy to hold it back for as long as possible.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oh, I encounter this all the time at my work! And then I sit in front of my patients, fat as I am, and wonder why the message is not getting through. I am doing this to prevent what might happen, but also to have a better life right now!

Thanks for posting!
  • patiencelahita
    Options
    One of my inspirations for losing weight is so I can swim. My weight increses my asmtha symptoms and icreases my joint pain I almost wasn't able to make the team.