no artificial sweeteners here

Options
So I have a huge sweet tooth. I really do. I also can't tolerate artificial sweeteners, not just the taste, they give me the runs. Switching to Diet versions of things isn't going to work out well for me. How can I still eat sweet foods that I love but not go over board on the sugar? What are your tips for beating a craving for sweets?

Yes I know fruit is sweet too. But they don't sell apples at the movie theater.

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    All artificial sweeteners give you the runs? There are a few different kinds, though the runs are a common side effect of sugar alcohols.

I don't eat many artificial sweeteners because I occasionally have the aforementioned reaction to sugar alcohol, while others taste funny or sometimes trigger migraines. I do measure out single servings of sweet stuff and work it into my calories.
  • jennnessley
    jennnessley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup, all artificial sweeteners give me that reaction, although to varying degrees. Aspartame is the worst. Its more of my digestive system being sensitive. It tends to over react to things.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Why do you need to eat something at a movie theater, it's only for a couple hours. If they don't have something there that fits with your plan just eat before/after, if you're truly hungry.

As for other times, if AS doesn't agree with you then you'll just have to use real sugar/sugar products. Just log it and make it fit into your calorie targets.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

take an apple with you....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I have a huge sweet tooth. I really do. I also can't tolerate artificial sweeteners, not just the taste, they give me the runs. Switching to Diet versions of things isn't going to work out well for me. How can I still eat sweet foods that I love but not go over board on the sugar? What are your tips for beating a craving for sweets?

is there a medical reason you need to watch sugar?

if not, just fit sweet treats into your daily/weekly calories & macros.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Movie theater food is overpriced and bad for you.

:huh:

Agreed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you want to eat at the movie theater, budget it in (I've done that with popcorn, as to me a movie calls for salt, not sugar), or bring in some cherries (or the like) in your purse, if you'd rather not.

Lately I tend to see a movie before dinner, so don't want to eat as I want to enjoy dinner. But movie eating was never that important a part of the experience for me (I do like a diet coke, however). If it IS an important part of it for you, plan for it. I do that for my restaurant meals.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stevia or xylitol? Nothing artificial about them.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use stevia (a 0-calorie herbal sweetener) in my coffee and tea. I occasionally work "real" sweets (mainly dark chocolate and peanut butter) into my diet but just budget the calories. You might also look into Truvia, which is a blend of stevia and real sugar, but much lower in calories than plain sugar.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

So you cut an apple up, bag it and sneak it into the theater. Hint - granny smith, golden delicious, and gala don't turn brown as easily. If you like something different rinse slices in lemon juice to prevent browning.

Have you tried every single sugar substitute? There is one that gives me problems (sorbitol).....but not every single one does.

I don't "beat" my sugar habit, I manage it. I've loved sugar for decades so I don't expect elimination (while dieting) and weight loss to be a "cure" for a sweet tooth. Managing means allowing myself a small portion every single day. Whether I'm dieting or maintaining....I have a sugar "budget."
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Plan for treats and other food you like and work them into your calorie budget. It's too easy to burn out otherwise.