How often did you fall off track by binging or overeating before you reached your weight loss goal?

Options
newstart1988
newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
edited August 2017 in Success Stories
As far as binging and overeating.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Never. I sometimes went a little over my calories, but I never binged. I also didn't let one bad day put me off track. I just went back to my usual calorie budget the next day. If you're frequently overeating by a large amount, it may be a sign that your calorie goals are too low, or a symptom of an eating disorder.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    zero
  • iraspiritia
    iraspiritia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All the time. I started logging every day since august 1st, and the last 3 days my calories intake exceed 1000 cal. My calories goal is 1800, it's not low at all.

Overeating is my biggest problem, I don't know what to do with it. Thank you for starting this topic.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't binge. There were days I went over - mostly due to family events, vacations etc (refuse to ruin holiday I've paid for!!) but still continued logging so I knew exactly what I'd eaten. I also tried to go under the daily allowance through the week to save those calories for days when I needed extra.
    I still do that in maintenance, although sometimes I do get a little too relaxed and have to put the daily calorie level down a bit for a few weeks!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A few times. It's a comfort/stress thing for me. I'm trying now to keep track of my cumulative calorie deficit, and aim each day for slightly more each day than I should. Then I'll have a buffer so I can overeat (within reason!) without feeling like I've scrapped all my progress to date (because I'll still be on track according to what my deficit should have been). That should hopefully mean I don't fall off the wagon completely because I won't feel so guilty about it. Not sure if it'll work!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    A few times for certain.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I never binged, but I went over my calories a few times at a restaurant.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    For me, the problem has been "taking a break" while on vacation, which happens more often in the summer. Once school starts back up (teacher), it's easier for me to stay on track. I went from 193 to 137 (July 2016 - April 2017). I did fine until December when we went away, then a Vegas weekend in March, a week in April, then a handful of trips in June and July. I don't like feeling "deprived" when traveling, but when I am in my regular routine, it does not seem to be as difficult. This is something I have been trying to figure out how to overcome.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've gone over my calorie allotment during vacations and when I eat some restaurant meals, but I don't "binge". By keeping on track for the rest of the week, I'm usually still on the (slower) path to weight loss. It's much easier to eat moderately, incorporate treat foods within the daily calorie limit, and enjoy life.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    A lot, and never. :)

There were lots of days when I was over and even a few weeks when I was over. But that was okay with me as I was purposely losing slowly.
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Occassionally in the beginning, very rarely now.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Actually.... never. Not so far, at least, and I'm 30+ pounds down. I do allow myself to eat TO maintenance once a week, though, because I want something OTHER than the daily salads I eat. I think once you find what works, it's not such a big deal to just kind of putter along and lose the weight. It's a BIGGER deal when you're struggling with the mental block of starting and are either depriving yourself too much or haven't found what works yet.
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    To help with overeating: prepare your food before you eat it! Also, I like to log in what im going to have for dinner as soon as I know, which is usually in the morning. Then for the rest of the day i can easily see how much food i can still have without feeling guilty about my dinner plate.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I eat at or over maintenance some days. It's part of my eating plan, not an uncontrolled binge or a "cheat."

65 lbs down. 15 to go.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    About once a month, roughly.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i go over my calories pretty often, life happens and i'm happy to lose slowly and sustainably. i don't really binge very often, if ever, depending on the definition we're using. i may plan to go over maintenance occasionally but more often i'm just decreasing my deficit or at maintenance (sometimes for a few weeks on diet breaks). as as pp noted above, this is built into my woe. the scale moves down, i don't feel deprived, it's a balance that works for me and these things will be individual, but for the most part, i think people find success more easily if they don't look at losing weight as an all or nothing proposition.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!