Sodium, we have a love/hate relationship!

Options
I copied this from my blog. I hope you enjoy!

Sodium, Sodium, Sodium. I love you because you taste so good. You're in my most favorite foods. Sodium, I love you because you show up in the best restaurants and sodas.

Sodium, I hate you because you cause me to have high blood pressure, get headaches or have major heartburn. Sodium, I am not going to allow you to defeat me because I will wash you down with your enemy, water. I am going to drink 64 oz a day just so you won't have the best of me. I will continue to exercise and sweat just to get rid of all of this salt inside of me. Sodium, the thing is--you even show up in low fat dinners, low fat dressings and low fat anything. I will compare and contrast you with other foods with sodium in it to see which one has less. Heck, if it's over 250 grams of sodium, depending on the size, then I am not buying it!! Seriously, why does Yogurt have 85 grams of sodium in it? What is that all about?

Sodium, you are not taking me out with stroke,kidney disease or a heart attack. Beware, I am watching you like a hawk. The world isn't big enough for both of us.

I still love you though and I hate you too.

Replies

• ditzee
    ditzee Posts: 49
    Options
    Well said!!
  • Xandralexa
    Xandralexa Posts: 87
    Options
    Cool, I like it.
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Sodium SUCKS!!!

It takes a while but eventually sodium is easy to maintain!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Nice! I never eat low fat foods! The few extra calories and the extra fat is worth it to me just so I don't get so much extra sodium.
  • jtucker42
    jtucker42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, good old Na and Cl my nemeses as well as yours.

I still can't figure out why a packaged boneless skinless frozen chicken breast has 650mg sodium and a vacuum sealed and frozen fresh chicken breast has only 40mg. The manufacturer I talked to said it was for flavor and texture but I don't buy that (and I don't buy them any more).

And don't even get me started on cayenne pepper sauces.

And it gets worse, recent research has shown that we don't even really know what a healthy level of sodium is in our daily diet.

</rant off>
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Balancing potassium with sodium will counter its water retention effects much better than just drinking water.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a common enemy, it seems. I do definitely love high sodium foods (or should I say, I used to love them?) but they didn't love me and they gave me puffy feet, hands, face, etc.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I actually read that broccoli is a better way to offset sodium because the potassium helps counteract the effects. Thankfully I don't like salt so I only have to watch for hidden sodium, like what you mentioned in your yogurt.
  • 90days
    90days Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium is nobody's friend. It takes very good, but it's certainly not good for us.
    I wish the food log included sodium intake for the days meal as well as cholesterol. That would be cool.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium is nobody's friend. It takes very good, but it's certainly not good for us.
    I wish the food log included sodium intake for the days meal as well as cholesterol. That would be cool.

You can put anything visibly in your diary by adjusting your settings.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Well said! I feel that watching my sodium intake has forced me to eat much healthier, as I do not eat as much prepared/fast foods, and as I watch the labels for NA, it makes me more aware of my intake. I know for myself, I feel healthier when I keep my levels between 1500-2000 mg daily.
  • divadoll41
    divadoll41 Posts: 188
    Options
    I have been watching my soduim too lately! Great blog!