Is it bad to eat at night?

I have a tendency to get caught up with work and school during the day, I often forget about food until it's past 7pm. Is it bad to eat that late?

I've heard differing opinions on the fact/myth that eating late is bad for your metabolism.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    not in the slightest. I only eat at night :p
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Meal timing has absolutely no impact on weight loss. I eat the bulk of my calories from 8pm onwards.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Oh I hope not. That's when I've eaten most of my calories as I've lost 103 lb. Fact. I do my cardio late, finishing well after dark, then eat my exercise calories, often right up to midnight.
  • RogueRunner_1
    RogueRunner_1 Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Only if eating late causes sleep issues. There are nights in the fall/winter that I don't eat dinner until 10.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Unless you have specific medical issues that it can make worse, like GERD, it's not an issue.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Nope. Not unless you have stomach issues when you eat and lay down. I eat before bed every night on purpose... helps me to get a good sleep :smile: Take a look at what animals do, if you have a dog or a cat... they woof down their food and then take a nice long nap. When they wake up they're all energized, etc. We should live more like animals haha!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I usually quit right around 11:30pm. Be doing it for decades.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    This is a common myth, but a myth nonetheless. When you eat does not matter, though as others have noted it might effect your sleep patterns. I normally like at least a couple of hours of digestion time before I crash.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Meal timing has absolutely no impact on weight loss. I eat the bulk of my calories from 8pm onwards.

this.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    The only significant effect meal timing has on weight loss is how it effects the number of calories you consume. Some people find they eat fewer calories if they limit themselves to certain times of day, or if they put off eating until later in the day. Some people are prone to mindless snacking in the evening, or whenever they are in front of a television, or at work, as so they try not to eat during those times. Some people eat less if they eat more often, including right before bed (*raises hand*). You have to figure out what works for you - there's no right or wrong answer.
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    I don't, Just because I sleep better when hungry and I tend to weigh daily so I like to be empty so it's not fluctuating as much. But like others have said, if it works for you, fire on!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    It depends not unless you either
    1. Have sleep issues where eating before bed makes you not sleep well
    2. Eat over your calories at if you eat at night gorging on junk with no willpower
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    The reason so many says it's bad to eat at night is because it doesn't give the body enough time to process the food before the time they tend to weigh (usually first thing in the morning) so the weight shows a false increase due to all that waste.

In the long term it doesn't affect weight any more than eating at other times of the day.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Calories taste better at night lol I eat majority of food in the evening because I can't go to bed hungry and it's normally only time I can sit down and relax.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    giphy.gif