Obese & Underweight

Options
So I am looking at the different markers being measured for this new scale I was gifted and if I am reading it correctly it estimates that my caloric BMR (in a coma) is 1700 ish and that I am currently eating 1400 ish calories which makes me underweight. I have read here in the forums that caloric deficit should be based on TDEE. Is that correct or does it not matter? The last thing I want to do is eat too few calories that it has adverse affects. Also how would one or can a person change their body water as apparently I am below that as well?4jzi9w7onkav.png

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You can not be both obease and underweight. What is your height? Age? Gender? Weight?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm glad you didn't pay for the scales :s Sorry. But that is way way more information than you need, and much of it is wrong, misleading and bordering bizarre.

Don't worry about the water in your body. No, you can't and shouldn't try to change that.

BMI is the function of your height:weight. A BMI of 18.5 - 24.9 is normal weight. Below that, is underweight. Above is overweight. Over 30 is obese. You can calculate it yourself using an online calculator or an ordinary one, with your height and weight.

MFP calculates your calorie goal based on your TDEE. TDEE is based on your BMR.

Have you set up MFP with your stats? If not, do that, and follow its suggestions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    scales are bad for calculating most of the things you're talking about. they should just tell you what you weigh... they are no good at telling you your bodyfat. you can also ignore the water reading.

the number of calories you're eating does not make you underweight...

MFP calculates your calories based on your NEAT, not TDEE, that's why with MFP you should eat back exercise cals. whether you use MPF or a TDEE calculation is up to you - at the end of the day they should be roughly the same.

i would suggest you start by setting MFP to lose 1-1.5lb per week, eat that number plus a portion of your exercise cals and go from there.
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    You can not be both obease and underweight. What is your height? Age? Gender? Weight?

5'6
    Female
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Tionne31 wrote: »
    amtyrell wrote: »

5'6
    Female

Ok bmi is 29.2 that is overweight. You have to get to 154 to hit normal bmi and underweight is 114lbs or less.
    Plus the stats into MFP set it to lose 1 lb a week and track your calories consumed using a food scale.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think you're looking at it wrong, I think it's saying your BMR is 1418 and you should be eating around 1792 calories....

FWIW I am ~5'10" and my BMR is around 1450ish

But as others have said, scales can be notoriously wrong about that stuff. Put your stats into MFP, set it to lose 1lb a week and then log using a food scale as much as possible. There are some great pinned threads here to get you started :smiley:
  • Tionne31
    Options
    I think you're looking at it wrong, I think it's saying your BMR is 1418 and you should be eating around 1792 calories....

FWIW I am ~5'10" and my BMR is around 1450ish

But as others have said, scales can be notoriously wrong about that stuff. Put your stats into MFP, set it to lose 1lb a week and then log using a food scale as much as possible. There are some great pinned threads here to get you started :smiley:

LOL, I figured I might be hence the reason for the post...thank you.
  • Tionne31
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that responded, I really appreciate it!!!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    As for the water in your body, hydration. Go off the colour of your pee.

It should be pale in colour, the darker it is the more you should drink.
  • Tionne31
    Options
    As for the water in your body, hydration. Go off the colour of your pee.

It should be pale in colour, the darker it is the more you should drink.

I had my doctor tell me a few months back to slow down because my urine had no color to it, since then I average about 12-15 cups a day.