Budget Friendly Help

Options
I am trying to get back into weightloss after the birth of my 4th child. With only one income (I am a SAHM) it is hard to afford the most healthy options I would like to buy. I was wondering if any one had any really good budget friendly healthy meal options or advice on losing weight on a budget. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Do you like beans? If not, give them a second chance. Frozen veggies in my area are always cheaper than fresh. Look for frozen chicken breasts on sale?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    First the main thing is fewer calories so less food is cheaper.
    Also eggs are amazing. Versatile delicious good for you protein packed yum.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    No need for specialized foods...the only thing that matters for weight loss is calorie totals.

Keep shopping like you've been shopping. Just eat less of it. On the plus side, you might find that your grocery bill will actually decline because you're not eating as much.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    plan your weekly meals around what is currently on sale - for protein etc - if you can afford it and have the space - buy in bulk (I do chicken like this when its on sale)
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live farmers markets can be amazingly cheap! I live in Western NY so our farmers market season is only from Juneish-Octoberish but you can get plenty of seasonable fresh produce for cheap. Last week I got 5 zucchinis for $1 and 7 green peppers for $2. If you live somewhere warmer your growing season can be even longer. I also agree about frozen veggies, they are a great money saver, don't spoil easily, and are just as nutritious as fresh. Cooking from scratch is usually cheaper as well since most pre made stuff has "convenience pricing" meaning it is more expensive than getting all the ingredients separate and making it yourself because you hardly have to do anything to it.
    Buy 80% lean ground beef instead of 90%, it is cheaper and once you cook it you can drain the fat off if you don't want it.
    Buy family packs of meat like chicken and fish then divide them into Ziploc bags and freeze until you need it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Losing weight means eating less so it should be cheaper. Plan meals, learn to cook, cook at home, prepare balanced meals, meals you like, eat it up. Have a stock of cheap staples. Shop smart - write a list based on food plan, bring and follow list, but also be flexible. Understand prices and seasons, remember the difference between price and value. Don't fall for hypes.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    bchrispell wrote: »
    I am trying to get back into weightloss after the birth of my 4th child. With only one income (I am a SAHM) it is hard to afford the most healthy options I would like to buy. I was wondering if any one had any really good budget friendly healthy meal options or advice on losing weight on a budget. Thanks in advance.

Weight loss is about having a calorie deficit. You can create a calorie deficit by reducing calorie intake, increasing activity (calorie burn) or both.

You don't have to buy special food to lose weight.
    A healthy diet is not a specific list of food but everything you consume working together to meet your body's needs. You need to look at nutrients of foods you eat and how they fit your whole day. There are a lot of ways to "eat healthy".

Meal planning is a good idea if you have a tight budget
    Low budget friendly foods where I live are oatmeal, tuna, whole chicken or chicken thighs, dry beans, lentils, rice, pasta, bread, peanut butter, eggs, potatoes, carrots, apples, ground turkey, cabbage, onions, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables.

You should start with just logging what you normally eat and sticking to your calorie goal. You want to eat in a way you can sustain. You can alter your diet in small steps like getting more protein or having more vegetables on your plate.

Typically I eat things like this:
    Breakfast- low prep foods like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- things like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. Soup is a good dollar stretcher and I have that once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

Low budget menu planning and recipes:
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/03/35-meatless-meals.html
    http://www.meatlessmonday.com/favorite-recipes/
    http://www.lentils.org/recipes-cooking/recipes/

Some MFP threads you may find useful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10518784/healthy-food-choice-on-a-budget/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500423/costing-a-lot-more-money-to-eat-healthier/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490067/most-healthy-food-options-are-very-expensive-and-im-on-a-very-poor-budget-what-to-do/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10020804/looking-for-vegetarian-recipes#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • jackslovely
    jackslovely Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i shop solely at Kroger and use their digital coupons, gas points, and a rebate app called Ibotta, where i earn money for things that i normally buy and there are sections for kids/babies, all groceries, household items, make up etc and once i have enough earned i get a gift card with the money i earn and put that towards MORE groceries. Its free money. Download it!
    With groceries i do shop what is on sale and look for things that can be made into multiple meals. I have a pretty good idea as to what i want to make for the week so i go to the store with a list in hand and do not stray from it. When i go shopping without a list i usually spend 2x more then what i wanted. Most times Kroger has chicken breast BOGO free or half off so i'll stock up and go home, weigh each breast and freeze it with the weight on the package so i can easily pull out chicken and know the weight. I use frozen veggies instead of fresh only because i never use them soon enough and frozen does save me time, again shop what is on sale, i can usually get 10 bags for $10. Like others have said, beans, rice, pasta are all cheap and can make really fillings meal. Oh and eggs are a must!
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Best thing I've found is a local produce dealer. They aren't genetically engineered fruits n veggies like some places sell (ugh) so they don't keep as long in the fridge...I go shopping 2 or 3 times a week...but its super cheap and gives me no excuse for not eating healthy.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    bchrispell wrote: »

This is my thing lol. Family of 5 here on one income (I homeschool the kiddos). We also do the Dave Ramsey thing so our budget is nailed down pretty tight-weekly grocery budget is $100 cash, and that includes non-food items as well. I've also lost around 50lbs and am now a little over 4 years into maintenance.

First-how are you defining 'healthy' foods? I follow the DASH protocol, which is touted as one of the healthiest ways to eat by the medical community, and it's ridiculously cheap to eat on plan. Whole grains, beans, frozen fish and chicken, frozen veggies, in season fruit/veggies etc are inexpensive compared to other items at the grocery store.

Second-what resources do you have available? If you have an Aldi nearby, (and it looks like we're in the same state), then that's going to be your go-to store. Even if you have to drive a ways to get to one it's really worth it, (I get groceries bi-weekly because my closest one is about 30 minutes away). I get 90% of my groceries there and then I supplement with Meijer and local farms. Also, look at unconventional options-more and more Dollar Trees are starting to carry food, including frozen items. Or is there an Aunt Millie's bread outlet nearby? Or in the summer look for road side farm stands. I have one a couple miles down, from a hobby farmer, that sells veggies/fruit, eggs and raw honey. What about farmers markets? Or do you have friends/family that garden, that you could barter with?

-we're fortunate that our state has a large number of farms and has a very robust growing season. Along with that-summer is the time to be prepping for the fall and winter. I currently have over 50lbs of strawberries and blueberries in my freezer, that I picked earlier this summer from U pick farms, or that Aldi was clearancing out due to overstock. I flash freeze them and then use them in my daily green smoothies and baking. I've also made freezer jam before and I'll be making crock pot applesauce that I'll freeze, once apple season kicks off here in the next few weeks. Get creative!

Thirdly-'shop' your kitchen before you start making your menu plan/grocery list. See what random ingredients you have, that you can build a meal off of. That pkt of taco seasoning hiding in your pantry is your first ingredient in a taco bar. That 1/2 container of forgotten sour cream is the start of a new recipe. Start with whatever you already have to save money!

And then-MENU PLAN. It doesn't have to be completely structured, but you need to have a plan of action before you step foot into the store, and that comes with menu planning. And along with that-walk into the store with CASH and a list.

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Not making any assumptions on this post. There are several authors who have written some informational items on healthy eating on government aid. I know government aid can be very restrictive so i use the term to demonstrate that healthy eating can be accomplished on most budgets. Try this NPR article where the link to the Cheap Eats pdf is listed. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/08/01/337141837/cheap-eats-cookbook-shows-how-to-eat-well-on-a-food-stamp-budget

Wow, thank you! Those recipes look delicious, so I actually went to Amazon and bought a print copy :)
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I echo the comments on eating vegetarian to save money. I am in a more fortunate position at the moment but when I have been skint in the past cans of tomatoes, chickpeas, lentils and beans have been very helpful.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes is also a great website with cheap meals - she breaks down each recipe by what it cost her to make and by serving
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I grocery shop using Walmart's online service. I love it because 1) it keeps me out of the store and therefore, I avoid impulse purchases and 2) it's super easy to price compare various brands/sizes. It's a great money saver for our family! If your family eats meat, try making a few meatless meals every week. Eggs and beans are cheap sources of protein, and you can do a lot with them! Make sure you don't have wasted food. Plan meals based on what is already in your pantry. Find ways to use up left over produce. Get on Pinterest and search for "cheap, healthy meals." You'll get lots of ideas. I've been super focused on saving money at the grocery store for the last month or so, and all of these things have helped me. I don't have time to shop multiple stores or search for coupons, so I have to be smart about the items we buy.
  • hello8642
    hello8642 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you're not in the uk, but you might never the less try googling Jack Monroe. She's a good writer who brought up her kid on a very very tight budget. All her recipes are costed- so you might find some good ideas there. Think the blog is called 'cooking on a boot strap'
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am similar and it's not easily. Luckily we have been adapting to gluten free diets so never ate pasta etc anyway. We try to go to local markets if we can but most of the time I buy produce at the super market. I meal plan to the extreme. I check what meat I have and what is on special and plan for the week. I will write down dinners and generally we all eat the same but I leave out the carbs and add extra vege/salad. I plan lunches for all of us. Each week kids get the same for the week and I will do baking etc to last. I try to stick to some form of eggs for my lunch or if chicken is cheap I will cook some for chicken salads or just have egg in salads. I am in New Zealand however and food is very expensive here so I try to plan to avoid waste etc
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There's no requirement that you eat expensive "diet foods" to lose weight. "Healthy" foods aren't inherently more expensive (unless, I suppose, you define "healthy" as "organic free range paleo."

I'm feeding my family of 4 (including 2 teens) on less than the USDA Thrifty Plan cost per week, and I think we eat "healthy." Yes, we eat carbs. We eat farmer's market meat and lots of veggies, whole grains, and homemade bread.

THe biggest thing to eating well on a budget is to plan ahead. Sit down once a week and plan out what you're going to have each night. Plan lunches if those vary. Don't "menu plan" by making a list of recipes, becuase that usually costs more (and has more calories). You have to think across the week - how to use up bunches of things you buy in bulk, where you can save time and money by cooking a larger batch and setting some aside for later.