Netting too little calories?

Options
Okay, I worked out this morning and burned 478 calories. I am to eat 1400 calories a day and I haven't really been hungry today. I've basically netted 606 calories today! I've eaten a ton! I know I need to eat at least 1200 calories or my body will start thinking about "starvation mode" but I honestly have eaten 3 meals, wasn't hungry for snacks, and need some advice on what I should do, please. I've only had one cup of coffee, a ton of water and a diet dr. pepper to drink today. Here is what I've eaten today:

Breakfast: bowl of plain oatmeal w/ peanut butter, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp honey.
Coffee with creamer and splend. And half a cup of orange juice.

Lunch: Chick Fil A grilled chicken sandwich with light mayo and lettuce
small fruit cup
string cheese

Dinner (I wasn't hungry and made myself eat because I knew I needed the calories)
1/2 peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread
100 calorie pack - breakstone's cottage cheese with peaches
sugar free chocolate pudding

I don't want to eat past 8 PM but here it is 10:37 and I'm slightly hungry but I plan on going to bed soon. I think I will just eat a string cheese and call it a night. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    once in a while isn't terrible, frequently will put you into starvation
  • rachie50380
    Options
    i hear ya! this week i have been thinking that maybe im just not eating enough? didnt have any weight loss within 3 days and i did so good. hoping it catches up with me next week. im trying not to step back on the scale until next friday. and thats almost impossible since it sits right in front of the toilet~temptation....
  • lizbanks
    lizbanks Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to come in really low on calories, I'll eat a handful of mixed nuts. Good fats and fairly high in calories. They're also not filling at all... At least not for me. I have a really tough time eating enough calories too. I run into this problem frequently though and have started in on nuts. Another one I'll throw around is yogurt.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    once in a while isn't terrible, frequently will put you into starvation

Agreed. It takes several weeks to enter starvation mode.
  • cranda58
    cranda58 Posts: 11
    Options
    try adding some more nuts and cheeses to your diet. Just a handful of almonds is packed with calories, lots of protein and good fats, and are easy to snack on even if you arn't that hungry. Same thing with cheese. Will fill in some of those extra calories if you are worried.
  • 1013arleen
    Options
    I have the same issue. Sometimes I will go slightly over and some days I am way under...Hope it isn't going to casue me an issue...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    i hear ya! this week i have been thinking that maybe im just not eating enough? didnt have any weight loss within 3 days and i did so good. hoping it catches up with me next week. im trying not to step back on the scale until next friday. and thats almost impossible since it sits right in front of the toilet~temptation....

Try making an adjustment. Increase your caloric intake for a day or two. Change your exercise routine or take a day off from exercise. Your body will adjust to consist patterns and you will plateau.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Eating well spaced "meals" is the best as then you don't end up hungry late at night and either eating too late or eating something bad.
  • kristy1105
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about too little calories. It's my opinion that if you are not hungry, you shouldn't eat!

Each person's metabolism is different. I am supposed to eat 1200 calories of food each day. But that number wasn't working for me. I have found that if I eat around 900-1000 each day, that I will lose about about 2 pounds a week. I've been eating this way for about 5 weeks now.

So my advice is for you to figure out which number works for you and stick with it. Of course you shouldn't eat when you are not hungry. But if you feel like you should, then eat something small like a bowl of cereal or a piece of fruit. I like the half a sandwich idea.
  • adnuckolls
    adnuckolls Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I should have re-worded the starvation mode part. I know it takes a while for the body to enter that but thank you so much for the great advice!
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    if you only eat 900-1000 calories a day, won't your periods stop and you will go into starvation mode. maybe i am confused on this.

could someone please explain this.

i thought that you are not suppose to go below 1200 calories a day. so if i eat 1800 and burn off 300 that leaves me eating 1500 calories a day?