Toes going numb again... advice?

Options
Lizzypb88
Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My toes used to go numb, and I wasn't able to recreate it occurring on a treadmill with my physical therapist, and eventually with taking a week off of running I was able to run again, and switched back to just doing the treadmill again, and went back to the runners shoe store and found that I needed to go up half a size and get a wide shoe, all feeling of swelling went away...
I recently ran a 5k almost 2 weeks ago, and I realized I missed running outside so 4 days post race I did my first slow run outside.. and my toes slowly started going numb! I stopped and walked, and I have been going VERY slow as per advice on here to go slow and longer runs to improve my 5k time... now today was my 2nd run outside again, and again within about 10min numbness comes in! I can tell it's going to come because I feel swelling on the tops of my feet, so I walked for a min and ran again and decided it wasn't going to fully go away.
Thinking about it- this numbness ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I RUN OUTSIDE!! As long as I take a few days break and hop back on the treadmill instead there's never an issue... it's really getting to me because there's no pain, my body wants to run farther but I know from my past mistakes that running through numbness just makes it worse!
Could it be that the heat and humidity and just the pounding on the pavement at 190 pounds is just too much for my body? I'm so over the treadmill, but I can run 3miles on the treadmill slowly with zero issues! I feel that want to push and keep going and having to stop myself cuz of the numbness is frustrating!

-yes my laces are ridiculously loose
-I'm running at avg pace of 13:20, as slow as I can run
-no I have no medical issues, and PT had no definitive thoughts as to why

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Was the 5K on road or trail? Same as the surface you were running on when the numbness came back?

How tight are you tying your shoes?
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Was the 5K on road or trail? Same as the surface you were running on when the numbness came back?

The 5k was hell lol! It was in our town, and it's centered around a waterfall so the damn hills almost did me in having done 99% of my running on a treadmill... I did notice slight numbness in the middle of the 5k but it went away, I gave it my all and then some, I felt pretty healed before running 4 days post race
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    5k was road plus hills, the bike path I do my runs outside with now is pretty flat pavement, some small inclines but not drastic
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    I wear socks from the shoe store where fabric is tighter around mid foot, could that be squeezing too much?
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Could simply be the impact. Have you tried running on a softer surface such as grass?
  • ImNancyLynn
    ImNancyLynn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get numb toes as well. (only on my right foot) Only when running on pavement! It took me a long time but I found some good shoes and it doesn't happen much anymore. I have severe lower back issues and I have always thought it was connected. I stretch for nearly an hour before a 5K now. The shoes I found are Saucony Kinravas. Are you stretching well prior to a run?
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    nscrco64 wrote: »
    I get numb toes as well. (only on my right foot) Only when running on pavement! It took me a long time but I found some good shoes and it doesn't happen much anymore. I have severe lower back issues and I have always thought it was connected. I stretch for nearly an hour before a 5K now. The shoes I found are Saucony Kinravas. Are you stretching well prior to a run?

I normally don't stretch before, just walk but I did stretch a bit this time in hopes it would help... I actually have had sciatic issues for years, darn pregnancy lol but pitiformis tight muscles etc bug me a tad from time to time... my PT said since I've never had this issue prior to running that it can't be from my back, which I don't totally agree with. I can feel that I have some minor swelling/edema on the tops of my feet now, but husband doesn't notice... I hate the feeling of any swelling so I notice any little bit... I never get feet swelling on the treadmill
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    Could simply be the impact. Have you tried running on a softer surface such as grass?

My first thought is- I don't want to get any ticks! Lol but honestly there's been a lot of Lyme disease being reported around here... I don't know of any areas to run on a softer surface, but I could take a look online, are u suggesting that I just cannot run on pavement, or that I should try trails for now?
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    I wear socks from the shoe store where fabric is tighter around mid foot, could that be squeezing too much?

Is there a reason you're wearing these socks? Try a different pear without any compression features. I accidentally bought a pair of 'functional' socks once and can't wear them - the pressure on my arch actually makes my foot ache while I run.
  • DX2JX2
    edited August 2017
    Options
    nscrco64 wrote: »

I normally don't stretch before, just walk but I did stretch a bit this time in hopes it would help... I actually have had sciatic issues for years, darn pregnancy lol but pitiformis tight muscles etc bug me a tad from time to time... my PT said since I've never had this issue prior to running that it can't be from my back, which I don't totally agree with. I can feel that I have some minor swelling/edema on the tops of my feet now, but husband doesn't notice... I hate the feeling of any swelling so I notice any little bit... I never get feet swelling on the treadmill

Treadmill is a much more forgiving surface than the road. In order of simplicity...first try different socks, next try running on a softer surface. If a softer surface gives you relief, then either find a softer surface to run on and/or look into more heavily cushioned shoes.

The above might not give you the answer you need, but at least you'll know what to rule out if it doesn't work.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Maybe a chiropractor would help. With my back and neck, I have had finger numbness and toe numbness as well. I don't have sciatic issues anymore. The chiro stretches my hamstrings as well as other stretches. Sometimes it takes awhile to find a good one.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My toes go numb in Brooks shoes (and a couple other brands, but I believe you're in Brooks), but not most other brands (even though they are all "good" for the way I run). Some shoes just don't fit my exact stride all the way through I guess. I would try different shoes.
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Is there a reason you're wearing these socks? Try a different pear without any compression features. I accidentally bought a pair of 'functional' socks once and can't wear them - the pressure on my arch actually makes my foot ache while I run.

I have them because that's what they recommended at the shoe store because I got blisters from my cotton socks, but all their socks were like that so maybe I could try looking on Amazon or something for socks?
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    My toes go numb in Brooks shoes (and a couple other brands, but I believe you're in Brooks), but not most other brands (even though they are all "good" for the way I run). Some shoes just don't fit my exact stride all the way through I guess. I would try different shoes.

I was in brooks and bought new balance, a wide fit and 1/2 size larger
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I was in brooks and bought new balance, a wide fit and 1/2 size larger

Bummer. I've never tried new balance but I knew I had the same issue with the numbness in Brooks (and some other random brands/models) so I was hoping that might fix it for you.
  • Style42
    Style42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Numbness is usually a sign of circulation concern, which could be cause by a number of things including weight and the ground in which you are running on. I usually with take a little spicy mustard to help with numbness and cramping. I suggest you go to the doctor to make sure that there are no circulatory issues.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As far as softer surfaces - if you have a high school track nearby, that might be a way to try out a softer surface without as much of a fear of ticks. :) I'd also second all the recommendations about stretching, especially your hips and piriformis and all that. I have really tight psoas, piriformis, and other hip flexor type muscles. Doing a lot of stretching there helps with my back, my shoulders (I KNOW, crazy, right?), and my knees. I owe my chiro for helping me understand all that and deal with a long-term back issue. If new socks, new surface, stretching, etc don't do it for you, I'd consider escalating it up to going to see a chiro.
  • 2annabelle64
    2annabelle64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Buy some thin double layer socks and you shouldn't blister...first layer rubs on the shoes, 2nd layer stays flat on your feet. I walked a few endurance walks with them and didn't suffer blisters (30km) for the most part. Any running store should have them.
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations on thin running socks that don't squeeze midfoot? That is where the swelling starts right before I get numbness, maybe it's a contributing factor, but looking I see most socks are that style online, kind of lost? Lol
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations on thin running socks that don't squeeze midfoot? That is where the swelling starts right before I get numbness, maybe it's a contributing factor, but looking I see most socks are that style online, kind of lost? Lol

Your choices will be limited if you have to avoid cotton, but most 'plain jane' socks shouldn't squeeze.

I like Balega Hidden Comforts myself but honestly will run in anything as long as it's not too thick or tries to do anything but be a regular old sock.