confessions and frustrations....

1. I tore 3 ligaments in my right ankle 4 weeks ago
2. I continued to walk (and injure it more) for another week
3. I have been non-weight bearing for the last 3 weeks
4. I started physical therapy and a little weight bearing this week
5. I went to the gym tonight to doing a little swimming (w/my physical therapists permission)

6. I stepped on the scale. It was not pretty. I have gained 8 pounds in the last 4 weeks. I knew this was going to be rough but I did not expect this.

7. TIME TO GET SERIOUS AGAIN! Diet and as much exercise as my ankle will allow.

Replies

• espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    oh no sweetie... It's huge that you caught the gain this soon and not 20 pounds down the road! good job!! Slow and steady.. and take care of yourself! :)
  • That sounds really painful! Good luck on your recovery!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 497 Member
    I am so sorry, Staci. It is hard not to be a downer, but to me that just shows how delicate the balance of weight loss really is--one thing goes wrong and it topples. First, the most important thing is to do what you are supposed to do to heal your ankle. You have to preserve your ability to be active (pain free) in the future. I know you know this, Ms. Nurse, but sometimes it's hard to be smart about resting when you have been exercising and it has been working for you! Second, just do what you can do. So for right now that is very light workouts and eating well. Maybe things will stall but maybe they won't get worse either. I have to do this a lot (finals, a recent family medical crisis) ... maybe a more disciplined person could find a way to do everything I do and exercise, too, but I can't always do it, so I just try to not make it worse during those times. Be patient and keep logging, twin. I will be hoping you are healed and cleared to exercise soon. :)
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    It's OK - we are only human! You couldn't help it. Take care of yourself and get better soon!
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Wow... sorry to hear you have been in so much pain and frustration. You know your body better than anyone else, and you know how much you can tolerate. Be careful not to re-injure yourself and take care of your body. *big hugs* You can do this!! Feel free to add me if you need support along the way! :)
  • obifatkanobi
    obifatkanobi Posts: 190
    Keep in mind that some of the gain is nothing more than fluid around the injury, as well as fluid retention from your change in exercise reduction. It will come off quickly, as will the few pounds you more than likely gained. Focus on healing, negative energy like this will only delay the process.
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Try not to push yourself too hard. You don't want to aggrivate your injury to the point that you can't walk at all for a long time.