Quinoa Blues

Options
jasminnatale
jasminnatale Posts: 30 Member
I can cook most things no problem but I can't get Quinoa right to save my life. Doesn't matter if it's box or straight from the grain

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't had quinoa in a while, but when I first discovered it and ate it often, I put in my rice cooker and set it to cook under the brown rice setting. It came out perfect every time.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I second the use of a steamer/rice cooker. I like to use my steamer as well; however, I prefer the stove because I can adjust the moisture level on the fly depending on what I'm using the quinoa for (i.e. more dry = veggie burgers vs more moist = served as a side dish). Using the stove, I get the best results cooking slowly. Overall, it takes me about 20 min. Once everything starts boiling, I add a lid and turn the heat down to a low simmer. The key for me has been finding the right simmer temp. This has works for me on both gas and electric stoves.
  • jasminnatale
    Options
    I'll keep trying different temps and playing with it but if I can't get it I should've get a steamer/rice cooker. Thanks guys! :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What happens to it?
  • jasminnatale
    Options
    It's either still crunchy or too wet and mushy. It's not good haha
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    This is how I cook my quinoa:

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/quinoa-common-mistakes

It always comes out perfectly.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    A rice cooker will be your best friend. Mine was $13 on Amazon. I use the brown rice measurements for quinoa to water, works perfectly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's either still crunchy or too wet and mushy. It's not good haha

You need to cook it longer to solve either prob.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I bring 200ml of water to the boil, add 60g Quinoa (rinsed first) and bring it back to the boil, pop the lid on and turn temp right down, usually cooked in 15 mins, makes 2 portions, if there is still a lot of water I will give it a few mins until it's absorbed the lot.