Break from exercise

Options
Been working out for the last 20 months and taking a week long break starting next Monday. Any of you take scheduled breaks from the gym/exercise? Took a week long break three months ago and still managed to lose six pounds during that week. I felt great and recharged. Any thoughts about breaks? Good for your body/mind?

Replies

• misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have been told you shouldn't take more then one day off in a row so I try not to. I do usually take off one to two days a week, it just depends on the week. Taking a week long break for most people wouldn't be good cause that week off will break a habit and sometimes it is hard to get started again. If it works for you it doesn't hurt to try it again.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I just took 4 days off. I really needed it and it helped me catch up on some sleep (i'm an early morning runner). I think I could've used another couple of days though because am not quite back to normal.

I think it's good if you think you need one.
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have, I had been working out too 20+ months and this past month I decided to just stop. I feel recharged and ready to start back up in august. I also started losing lbs again when I stopped working out so much. I do miss the high I got from working out.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I notice the most change in my body after scheduled breaks. Obviously I wouldn't go longer than a week, but I think they are entirely necessary! I think its also important to stay on track with your nutrition during breaks from exercise to see the best results.
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 6 days a week since I began this journey. Then I was sick for the last 2 weeks, I didn't exercise at all and lost 10 pounds! Just a cold, I still ate, in fact probably over the usual since I was inhaling oj big time. I hadn't lost ANYTHING in months. I've continued to lose this week. I may now take forced breaks periodically just to jump start continued loss. I have 40 pounds left I'd like to lose!
  • DallasEl
    DallasEl Posts: 54
    Options
    See I think there is something to the "jump start" thing from a break. The think the body just gets too used to constant exercise. A little break from the mental fatigue will be great! :)
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've read in a number of places (and experienced myself) that a week off can really benefit you - seems like you have already seen/felt that. While it's important to wait until working out is a solid habit for you, after 3 months of regular workouts you would be a-ok to take a week off without worry of losing momentum.
    It definitely goes to that whole "keep your body guessing" theory, as well as giving your body and mind time to rest and reset. If you've been going hard for 20 months (congrats, by the way, that is AWESOME!) you won't lose any of your progress and [as you've seen] you'll most likely feel revved up and ready to take it up a notch after the rest.
    Also, a big part of changing your lifestyle is figuring out how to deal with curve balls life throws you. Sometimes you HAVE to take a week off (illness for example) and mentally you need to be confident that that doesn't threaten your path at all.
    Be well and keep up the great work!!
  • DallasEl
    Options
    Thanks! Working out is just a part of my life now so I have no fear about the commitment side. To be honest I love to exercise. Makes me feel so alive.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A lot of bodybuilders i know take 1 week off every 3 months to let the body fully repair and recharge, as long as you keep your diet in control it wont hurt you any. You probably will want to modify calorie intake since your burning less but its fine. Muscle loss wont occur as long as you still get in the same amount of protein.

You will also often lose weight from decreased water and glycogen storage, how much depends on how hard you trained before...
  • WLitwinski
    Options
    I have heard that if you hit a weight loss plateau you should stop working out for two to three days and slightly increase your calories. This is coming from an endocrinologist.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken more than two days off since November, but I can see how it would be important if you're pushing yourself. I'm currently doing Ripped in 30 (plus either Yoga or Zumba) for six days a week, and I think I need to move it to five days, to include two days of rest. I also usually weigh in on the day after a rest day (and drinking LOTS of water), and I keep losing.

I say a hearty yes to breaks!!! :D
  • DallasEl
    Options
    6 days into my break and I am just itching to get back at. Last couple days I've been day dreaming about what run I want to do when the break is over. haha Tomorrow is supposed to be the last break day. Don't think so I see either a 13k run or 45 minutes of nasty hill sprints.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    You absolutely need take a week off every so often no matter what kind of exercise you doing as long as you are dong it intensely. Otherwise you will eventually reach a state of over training which cause injury or just cause to get sick.

Remember, you body only gets stronger, faster, etc. when it is resting and rebuilding. You can't got turbo all year not expect to have a flat tire eventually.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Been working out for the last 20 months and taking a week long break starting next Monday. Any of you take scheduled breaks from the gym/exercise? Took a week long break three months ago and still managed to lose six pounds during that week. I felt great and recharged. Any thoughts about breaks? Good for your body/mind?
    You should take at least a week off every 6 months minimum IMO. You can really reassess yourself and goals at this time, spend time relaxing, and giving your body time to take a break. Just like you need a week away from work every once in awhile, your body also should get one.
    I find that once I return, I'm very enthused and motivated to do better than I was doing before.
  • DallasEl
    Options
    7 day break was amazing. Body feels great and I am good to go again. My food was on point and I was still able to loss 3 pounds during that time! Hurrahhhhh for breaks!!!
  • deftodie
    deftodie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through the other posts yet, but firstly, if you are going to take a long break, make sure your calories reflect that lack of calorie burning. With exercise you can eat more, period.

I guess what I think though is what's going on in your life, or in your exercise patterns that make you feel you need that long of a break. Have you figured out a good routine in your day to day living? is exercise planned or something you feel you have to do and not enjoy it? Do you change your exercise routine up? I was told by my physiotherapist previously that every day something in my routine should change, so my body doesn't get used to the same routine, same goes for diet. If you body feels neglected and if its starving, its good to eat more and mix it up so that your body doesn't start storing fat (I think a lot of people have trouble in this department).

The last thing I'd like to ask is where are you in your head? Are you in the groove of food is for fuel and exercise is for life and needs to be included on a daily basis? With that in mind, as long as you're active and not living a sedentary week, you don't have to "exercise' if you're being active. If you're not in a good place with your exercise mantra, I'd maybe take your week and really figure out what it all means to you eating good portion sizes and making good caloric choices.. cheers!