Giving up alcohol

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Antabuse. One pill a day and you can't drink at all. It takes a week to get out of your system.

Isn't this a prescription sometimes prescribed to alcoholics?

Hardcore, even, NOT recommended for the vast majority of people. I never took anything when I was quitting (I dislike the idea, although I wouldn't defend this as rational, it's just me), but I know it's increasingly common to prescribe things like naltrexone if someone needs additional help for a short term period of time at first. I know maybe one person who got prescribed antabuse because even naltrexone wasn't working for him (he'd drink on it).

Anyway, doesn't seem likely to be relevant to OP or the thread.

Yeah, like a "last resort" pill.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Think of it not only as empty calories but an expenditure of hard earned bucks you don't need to make. If I had the money I spent on cigarettes & alcohol ... Anyway, stopped both many years ago and don't miss them at all. Booze is great for cooking, though.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    After I traveled in June and the time difference broke my habit of an evening drink or two, I decided to take July with no booze and see how it went. Aside from a couple of days where I felt the pull of habit more than true craving, it was no big deal. I bought some small bottles of flavoured club soda and that replaced the physical part of the habit sometimes when I felt the need. I am drinking a little here and there again but not nearly as much and I find the break has made me more sensitive to it. I had a beer with a friend the other night and a shot of whisky when I was reading in bed later and I woke up feeling pretty lousy. I find I am having one or two drinks maybe every couple of days, instead of three every night. And the calories! Oh my, I was spending 2-2500 cals a week on drink. 600 cals a day I'd be sort of subconsciously saving. I didn't feel comfortable unless I was heading into the evening with 1200 cals left to use. That's a lot of working out and some scrimping on decent food. I like things better now, moderation works.
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's not the alcohol that I miss, its the social part. Most of my friends love the happy hour. I have tried going and just having water (I dont drink soda or juice) but it isn't the same and I have to try so hard not to order a cocktail. I need to meet new friends that are not big drinkers so I still can have my social aspect and not just be sitting in a bar.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 4-5 times a week. I have cut down to no drinking during the week (only Friday and Saturday if I choose) and it is amazing! Sure, I miss it, but I also miss sleep when I'm drinking and I'd rather miss the alcohol right now than the sleep. I really feel so much better. I have more energy and I can eat a lot more if I am not wasting my calories on alcohol.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    The not drinking is easy. The explaining why you're not drinking is more difficult.

I usually answer "because calories".

I do drink, but try to keep the drink calories less than the dancing calories. (Alas, this kind of works out the opposite -- if leads are abundant and I'm dancing every song, then I don't have time to get a drink; if leads are sparse and I'm sitting out songs, then I'm bored and likely to grab an extra drink or 2 or 3).

(Moreso at Tango, where the dancing is less calorie intensive, and at least a few of us have brought bottles of wine as opposed to ordering from a bar - so no $$ incentive to drink less as a mediocre-enough bottle of wine or champagne can be bought for $5-10).

• CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I quit in my 20's, then had a relapse in my early 30s because of peer pressure. Hangovers are so much worse in your 30's and I just couldn't do it anymore.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing.
    I don't drink during the week (Monday thru Thursday) and I feel completely fine without it.
    Then BAM Friday night rolls around and I'm craving red wine while I watch movies with my husband. Sure one glass won't hurt, but it easily gets to 3 glasses then I'm looking for dark chocolate or salty chips to munch on. Then I wake up the next morning with a slight hangover that only hurts my workout. This also happens Saturday nights, and sometimes Football Sundays. So that's 3 days of booze and junk that completely negates any progress I made during the week. So if I want to lose weight why do I keep the weekend routine?

My father is an alcoholic, so this has always weighed heavy on my mind. When I step back and analyze it, it seems to me to be more of a habit than an addiction, although they can turn into the same thing. Habits are so hard to break. I haven't quite figured it out yet. But just wanted to let you know that I'm with you. I have a house party to attend this weekend that I'm already trying to figure out how to explain myself, because in my group of friends if you're a girl and not drinking you MUST be pregnant. Then next thing you know the whole county thinks you're knocked up lol
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hey congrats on making a step toward health! I think anything in moderation is fine but that we humans are just terrible with moderation so you do you.

I avoid temptation by managing stress mostly; I remove myself from uncomfortable social situations rather than cover them with booze; and family bonding revolving around drinking had to go for me: I don't want to encourage others in their unhealthy habits anyways. I drink coffee at boozy brunches, and seltzer water at drinking situations. And lastly, I try to be flexible and have sips occasionally, but I know one drink will lead to 3 while half a drink will usually suffice. We all have our limits.

And that's it! Find what works for you. :)
  • QJ18
    QJ18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hell yea. I don't drink either. My tips would be, don't hang out in big groups of people that plan on drinking or barhopping (because it's like being on another planet), and find NA drinks you like for weddings and dinners. I like Tonic water with lime, and it looks like gin and tonic so no one gives you a hard time about not drinking.
  • carrieonline
    carrieonline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Part of the challenge in quitting is the ritual around drinking - the opening of the bottle, the smell, how it feels special, like you deserve it at the end of the day or week. When cutting back or stopping altogether, I try to replicate that ritual by having a "special" non alcoholic low sugar/cal drink. Club soda with lime, kombucha, or adding an elixir. Anything bubbly. My biggest challenge is breaking out of the habit of drinking with family - it's the thing we do when we gather for family dinners. Helps to have a plan in advance, like when you look at the menu before going to the restaurant and decide what to order. Do the same mental exercise for social gatherings, and maybe bring your own non alcoholic drink so you're not stuck just drinking water.
  • jemalme
    jemalme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I want to cut back or even quit drinking, but I work in the tasting room of a winery, so I am around wine all the time! I am not permitted to drink at work, but if there is a tasting bottle with just a little left, I can take it home. So basically I drink for free. I used to be able to keep my drinks to one per night, but since my husband was laid off from his job one month ago, I find that I am drinking more (and so is he). I know we are self-medicating, and I know it's not good, but when 8 o'clock rolls around, I feel like I need and deserve that drink. I am currently in maintenance with my weight loss, but cutting out empty calories would be beneficial. Any advice?
  • ritzvin
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    The explaining why you're not drinking is more difficult.
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I usually answer "because calories".

Although, If I'm out of calories and in a snarky mood and someone were to make a comment: "because I like not being fat" is probably what would come out of my mouth.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I rarely go to stuff where people are going to be hanging out and drinking and doing absolutely nothing else. I get bored easily. dancing at a bar-yes. 'hanging out' at a bar - no.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've never been a drinker, so I can't weigh in on how to quit (long family history of addiction, I'm not interested in finding out if I got the gene). But I can comment on how to handle the peer pressure.

The most important thing is to stick to it. If someone is bugging you about it, if you give in "just this once" they will learn that all they need to do in the future is to apply more pressure. Not everyone cares, but I have met enough people who take it personally when I say "I don't drink" that I know it happens. As a non drinker by choice I tend to pay attention to other non drinkers out of curiosity. Those who give in even just occasionally tend to get pressured much more often and heavily than those of us who never do. The first few weeks or months when your friends don't understand why you stopped and might be feeing judged (not that you are judging just that they assume so) or insecure about their own choices might lay the pressure on thick. But once they figure out that you're serious, they'll be more likely to leave you alone, then it will get easier. But if you give in sometimes you'll always get "what's the harm in just one? You've been good this long!"

So stick to it, I'm sure it will get easier.
  • dunnee88
    dunnee88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try running a beer mile instead
  • dunnee88
    dunnee88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Either that or Mocktails to keep up with your social life