Over night paramedic

Options
Hey guys I am a paramedic that works night shift in the ER 7p-7a my job is for sure grueling and lots of walking. Any tips on what I should be eating during that time and I usually wake up around 10am when I work that day and if I do two or three in a row I'll sleep till right before work. But what's the best way to start eating with such a messed up schedule

Replies

• mkulhanek2014
    mkulhanek2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and I work 12 hour night shifts as well. On my first night back, I try to sleep in as long as possible and then I eat low carb, higher in fiber and protein foods to help keep my energy up and so I don't feel so sleepy on shift. On the day prior to my first night shift, I spend time cooking lean proteins and preparing my work meals for the next 3 days. This week I made grilled chicken, shrimp and zucchini lasagna. I pack a salad too. As a nurse, there are shifts when you don't have time to eat so I always carry some almonds, string cheese and a protein bar - just in case. For my subsequent night shifts, I wake up a few hours before shift and make an omelette with meat and veggies. It fills me up and holds me over.
  • LiveToBloom
    LiveToBloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to work shift work for 12 years. Finally gave it up in February. My body still hasn't gotten on a schedule. My sleep is all over the place, and I get serious cravings at midnight and 3 am. It's definitely tough eating around a dynamic schedule. I'm not much help in this department. I hope u get some good advice