Water Weight is the Worst!

I was so close to my goal weight a few days ago only to have it sky-rocket by 5 pounds within the past 3 days. What compounds the issue further is that my cycle started 3 days ago so I know what's causing it. It also hasn't helped that I have had a lot of salty foods (thanks cravings) that I couldn't log accurately because they are locally made. I also haven't been preparing my own meals since family was bringing snacks and food and it was gooood fooood. XD

I do manage portion controls and I have been exercising despite the bloatings and cravings. I'll lay off the store bought meals so I can more accurately log calories again. This will challenge my self-control and I need that.

I'm still getting comments that I have lost a lot of weight, clothes that couldn't fit me before or I had to struggle to put on now slide on and off, which are better indicators than a number on a scale. I know all this, it's just that... I was so close to my goal and it feels like I'm going in the opposite direction much faster now than I got here.

I just wanted to vent, really! I'm still positive things will be back to normal once my cycle is over.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    When you get to your goal weight, you're still going to have a range rather than be fixed at that weight from normal fluctuations.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    I disagree it is the best because it comes off easy. Relax not a real number.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I hear you. I'm having some fluctuations myself. And, as much as I know that there is no way I ate 17,500 above maintenance yesterday, that I did strength-train and went out for two slices of pizza (and stayed within my calories; it wasn't a cheat meal), that it could be getting to that point in TOM where I do retain water, etc etc... I'm still not happy when the number is 5lbs higher than it was at Sunday's weigh-in.

It's one thing to KNOW that weight-loss isn't linear and fluctuations are normal.

It's something else to not be annoyed by it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    amtyrell wrote: »

^^This. Water weight is not fat. You know exactly what caused it, you usually know how long it takes to come off, and it really does not affect anything. What we need to be concerned about is fat.

PS Learn to get used to it, because it doesn't go away in maintenance. In fact, it's more noticeable because you're no longer losing real pounds.
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    I was just talking to my SO this morning about this. Nice to come on here and see people having the same crappy experiences.
  • FlavourfulBear
    FlavourfulBear Posts: 11 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »

That is definitely one way to look at it.
    I was just talking to my SO this morning about this. Nice to come on here and see people having the same crappy experiences.

Yeah, it's good to share the good experiences and the bad. XD

• Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    I put on a kg every month. I finally worked it out. Its horrible. Anyway it doesn't help the confidence at ALL. I found myself wanting chips just around that bloated time. Add me if you want to vent on this argh issue
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Same here. I can gain 3 to 5 lbs during my cycle--it's so frustrating! But if you stick to exercising and reducing salt AND sugar the bloat should come off easily. Just give it time....
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Venting is ok. When you get people here reminding you its only water weight and how its difficult during that time for many it actually calming because you know your not alone on this. I mean.. i know its water weight but I hate seeing the number on the scale go up when you worked so hard on this.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I feel bad for all the women who give up because they DON'T understand it is just water weight and normal ... <3 It is annoying. Nobody said being a woman is easy!

It is very aggravating to work hard all week, getting the exercise in, meticulously logging, drinking your water, then BOOM see either no loss or at worst, a GAIN...and it makes you want to cry, scream, growl, throw things...etc. Now that I understand it's "just water weight" and I do weigh daily (so I don't have to wait a week or two or a month to see the "real" number) it makes it easier to bear but no less irritating nonetheless.

I've decided in my head that my "goal range" is 140-150. All well within normal BMI for my age and height, and won't affect any clothing I wear. So once I get to my goal (stated as 145) and if I am anywhere in that range of 140-150, I will not freak out.

Now, if I see 151...all bets are off.

BUT I have to get there, lol..I'm only like, 91 lbs away..ha ha...
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    I think of it as being well hydrated.
  • BrookeLynn18
    BrookeLynn18 Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2017

"It is very aggravating to work hard all week, getting the exercise in, meticulously logging, drinking your water, then BOOM see either no loss or at worst, a GAIN...and it makes you want to cry, scream, growl, throw things...etc. Now that I understand it's "just water weight" and I do weigh daily (so I don't have to wait a week or two or a month to see the "real" number) it makes it easier to bear but no less irritating nonetheless." -WizzyBeth

This is where I'm at this week. Between a salty weekend dinner and my cycle I "gained" 5 pounds and almost cried. Not going to lie, it took me about an hour or so to realize that it wasn't me, it was the salt and water my body was retaining. I was doing everything right and still gained. I came here for support, and it helped tremendously. I've found a couple women having this problem this week too! It's comforting knowing that I'm not the only one, and that strangers on the same journey are willing to share their wisdom.