4 weeks in and LOST! Anyone else?

Options
I am a little over 4weeks into the Keto life style and have not cheated, AT ALL! I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong that the scale will NOT move. I'm starting to get discouraged but not enough to cheat! Should I cut all dairy out??? Stop eating almonds all together? I'm so confused. If I work out it tells me to eat more calories etc but if I don't is that what is stalling me? Lost. HELP!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? Are you logging every day? How are you estimating your exercise calories burned?

What is your daily calorie goal, activity level, age, weight, height, and goal weight?

For most people losing weight is about calories, not eliminating foods. It probably has little to do with what you are eating and everything to do with how much, unless you have any specific medical condition, which in that case that would also be helpful information for responders.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat less....
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    use mfp to its full potential. Eat a balanced diet , move more and keep a calorie deficit - you will lose weight 100% guaranteed.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks in but I have lost 4.5 pounds. I do measure my food portion and I walk everyday between 30 - 60 minutes depends on how I feel that day, but at least 30 minutes a day. I do not eat my exercise calories. Are you losing inches? My first three weeks I only lost 2.1 pounds and this week was 2.4. Don't give up. Re-evaluate what you are eating and drinking. Drink plenty of water and get lots of veggies. Also what is your sodium and sugar intake?
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. If the Keto eating style helps put you in that deficit then great! But you still need a calorie deficit. Keto or not. I'd also recommend getting a food scale to help with intake accuracy. You are either eating more than you think, or burning less than you think.

Never cut out foods you enjoy. Much more sustainable that way. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose Keto as your weight loss method? Keto isn't required, whether Keto, balanced, vegan, etc. all you need is a caloric deficit to lose. If you are not losing, then you are eating at maintenance.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eliminate foods for weight loss, you need to reduce calories. For some, eliminating most of a macro (carbs) makes calorie counting unnecessary. But others still need to count calories.

Measure and log everything that goes in your mouth. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Fat is very calorie dense......a digital food scale is going to be most accurate for solids.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    1. You don't cut out foods, unless for medical reasons.
    2. You measure everything correctly
    3. Log! Log! Log! Log everything you eat and drink that has calories.
    4. Eat at a deficit.
    5. Use MFP as a guiding tool to get you where you want to be.
    6. There is no quick solutions. It does take time. The scale may not show initially. How do your clothes fit?
    7. Exercise. Walking is the easiest and the best, in my opinion, to lose weight.
    8. Drink plenty of water!
  • cenia77
    cenia77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had a calorie deficit more than 90% of the time. I don't eat more than 4-5oz protein for lunch or dinner. I eat lots of greens, drink a gallon of water a day, I get at least 45min a day of exercise in whether walking, biking, etc.

On another note, yet my bra's are loooooose(sorry if that's TMI) and my watch has gone 3 notches tighter lately... All I can think of is maybe I was getting too much dairy in. And going to lay off the almonds for awhile. I was told that as long as you only had a serving a day it was ok. I was eating them as a snack but curious if that's what's doing it. So going to rearrange things.

I chose Keto due to the fact that I have PCOS which makes it very difficult to lose weight and it also keeps me in check with NO sugar intake and limiting carbs. I have also had 2 children... my 2nd one being 15months old so after breastfeeding and not being able to limit some intake on oatmeals and such that upped my production of milk when needed for a FULL YEAR (lol)... that didn't help matters. My body absorbed those carbs and kept the weight on. When I had him I lost 33lbs within the first 5 months and then plateaued due to the oatmeal. So I'm not silly when it comes to eating. I eat healthy, I just find it nearly impossible to lose. So... that's why I ask for advice sometimes :) Figure y'all will help a girl out and let me know what i'm doing wrong :)

Thank you so much for all the advice. It does help A LOT!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    cenia77 wrote: »
    I have had a calorie deficit more than 90% of the time. I don't eat more than 4-5oz protein for lunch or dinner. I eat lots of greens, drink a gallon of water a day, I get at least 45min a day of exercise in whether walking, biking, etc.

On another note, yet my bra's are loooooose(sorry if that's TMI) and my watch has gone 3 notches tighter lately... All I can think of is maybe I was getting too much dairy in. And going to lay off the almonds for awhile. I was told that as long as you only had a serving a day it was ok. I was eating them as a snack but curious if that's what's doing it. So going to rearrange things.

I chose Keto due to the fact that I have PCOS which makes it very difficult to lose weight and it also keeps me in check with NO sugar intake and limiting carbs. I have also had 2 children... my 2nd one being 15months old so after breastfeeding and not being able to limit some intake on oatmeals and such that upped my production of milk when needed for a FULL YEAR (lol)... that didn't help matters. My body absorbed those carbs and kept the weight on. When I had him I lost 33lbs within the first 5 months and then plateaued due to the oatmeal. So I'm not silly when it comes to eating. I eat healthy, I just find it nearly impossible to lose. So... that's why I ask for advice sometimes :) Figure y'all will help a girl out and let me know what i'm doing wrong :)

There's nothing wrong with dairy or almonds, it's about your calorie deficit. Sounds like you need to be more patient and the scales will catch up with your body.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

With PCOS, you likely don't have a normal metabolism, so the standard calculations (based on young, healthy people) are not working for you.

The way you are eating is great for PCOS, but you likely need to reduce calories. Maybe set your calorie goal 200 calories/day lower and try that for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

How much activity are you getting?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day do you eat? What does MFP recommend based on your goals setting?
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure, looks like you are losing but you just cant tell. Add me to your list if you want im doing ok
  • cenia77
    Options

fiddletime wrote: »
    How many calories a day do you eat? What does MFP recommend based on your goals setting?

I usually eat substantially less than what MFP has set for me. It has set me at over 1400 calories which I find impossible to meet .. (thank goodness).

• cenia77
    Options
    With PCOS, you likely don't have a normal metabolism, so the standard calculations (based on young, healthy people) are not working for you.

The way you are eating is great for PCOS, but you likely need to reduce calories. Maybe set your calorie goal 200 calories/day lower and try that for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

How much activity are you getting?

I can easily stay 200 lower than what MPF has me at...

I am working out everyday between walking and cycling and burning over 2000-3000 calories. I didn't know what effects it to tell you the truth. I had done a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry dangerously low calorie diet before I had gotten pregnant with my son. I gained almost 65lbs with my pregnancy due to gestational diabetes. Then on top of that I also breast fed so it suppressed my cycle for over a year! I noticed that my PCOS was coming back so I was like.. OH HECK NO... TIME TO DO WHATEVER I CAN DO to get this weight off. Having the extra weight puts me at a very high risk for diabetes. Cutting out the sugar and starches completely has regulated me in less than a month. I am RIGHT ON TIME for... well.. auntie red. (lol) It's definitely not fun this time around. UGH.... but... anyway.. now that I've given TMI.... perhaps more insight?

P.s. I appreciate all the help everyone is giving me. Trust me.. I'M NOT LAZY BY ANY MEANS,... just have a body resistant on losing weight. :(
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    1400 is not a lot of calories. I'm losing at 1800. Of course individual weight and height has to be taken into consideration.

Almonds are very good for you but also very high in calories. 28 almonds is almost 200 calories. How many almonds are you eating a day?

Personally (note I said personally) I don't believe in cutting out any food group. Carbs are your main energy source and if you're working out, you need carbs or you won't have the energy to get through your day. Plus, I don't believe anyone can live the rest of their life with eating no carbs, or no sugar. For the short term it will help you lose weight but once you start eating it again, if no other habits change, the weight will come back.

Just my personal opinion.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Not much deep knowledge on my part in comparison with the others, but, I thought I would not ever lose weight and I read a success story here about plateaus. The writer said NOTHING was moving downwards for a month and more. She upped her exercise for a week- cardio and strength and that got her over/through/past the plateau and the scale started downward. I am not a great one for exercise but I spent the next 5 days going to the Y and doing classes/exercise/swimming whatever 2 hours daily. It seemed to be all that was needed. I do about 30 minutes of nothing much normally and watch the calories but I am having continued success at this point. I am at 1200 cals and have lost 26 of the 50 pounds that was my goal. I plan to up the exercise for a week after I see my weight unchanged for 2 weeks in the future. Best wishes to you.
  • cenia77
    Options
    I had talked to my brother because he is the one who inspired me to try Keto after losing 101lbs in 8 months... he told me that doing a fast may jumpstart my body. I just finished a 16hr fast and still have energy... go figure. At work so I'm at a desk working my hiney off... then during lunch I have cucumbers to snack on and some pork and cabbage to eat. Not sure what I'm doing for dinner yet. Probably chicken again with some broccoli.. then my little work out depending on the little one.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I had talked to my brother because he is the one who inspired me to try Keto after losing 101lbs in 8 months... he told me that doing a fast may jumpstart my body. I just finished a 16hr fast and still have energy... go figure. At work so I'm at a desk working my hiney off... then during lunch I have cucumbers to snack on and some pork and cabbage to eat. Not sure what I'm doing for dinner yet. Probably chicken again with some broccoli.. then my little work out depending on the little one.

You're not a car, you don't need jump starting!
  • cenia77
    Options

You're not a car, you don't need jump starting!

lol... oh my goodness. You made me laugh so hard I almost spit my water out on my computer screen at work. Thank you. I need that!!!!!!!!!