Snacks?

Options
sdolan91
sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
I'm having trouble hitting my calorie goal with just my three main meals of the day, so I end up snacking between them.
Does anyone have any recommendations for some healthy snacks I could eat?
I HATE protein bars, and I always end up eating a rice krispie treat even though I know they're horrible. (ugh.. but so good..)
Thanks!

Replies

• WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Are we trying to find high-calorie snacks to help you hit your goal or low-calorie snacks to compensate for snacking between meals?
  • sdolan91
    Options
    Are we trying to find high-calorie snacks to help you hit your goal or low-calorie snacks to compensate for snacking between meals?

I'm usually 300 calorie short, so probably lower calorie snacks.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    1. Unless you are legitimately allergic or sensitive to a food: there are no bad foods.
    2. If you carefully read package information, a lot of "healthy" bars are worse for you than a candy bar.

That said: some healthy snack options
    1. Almonds (1oz is about 20 almonds)
    2. Veggies (carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers)
    3. "100 calorie" snack packs
    4. A cup of fruit
    5. A small sandwich (1 slice of bread sandwich)
    6. A mini-meal, basically 1/4 portion of leftovers
    7. Peanut Butter (great with veggies)
    8. Cereal, one serving of cereal: most are fortified with vitamins and iron so even the "bad" ones aren't bad. (The nutrional information is near identical form Coco puffs to Shredded mini wheats.. go CocoPuffs!)
    9. Instant oatmeal (The Quaker "Hunny Bun" flavor is one of the lowest in calories of instant flavored oatmeal)
  • sdolan91
    Options
    1. Unless you are legitimately allergic or sensitive to a food: there are no bad foods.
    2. If you carefully read package information, a lot of "healthy" bars are worse for you than a candy bar.

4. A cup of fruit
    8. Cereal, one serving of cereal: most are fortified with vitamins and iron so even the "bad" ones aren't bad. (The nutrional information is near identical form Coco puffs to Shredded mini wheats.. go CocoPuffs!)
    9. Instant oatmeal (The Quaker "Hunny Bun" flavor is one of the lowest in calories of instant flavored oatmeal)

Yum.... Cocopuffs! Thanks so much! This helped a lot!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    sdolan91 wrote: »

4. A cup of fruit

Yep. CocoaPuffs have 100 calories per 22g serving. Frosted Mini Wheats have 210 per 55g gram serving. Doing the math (100/22 * 55). CocoaPuffs have 203 calories for 55g vs 210 in the "healthy" cereal. I bring a small calculator with me grocery shopping for checking this kind of stuff. Some of it is really surprising!!! A regular sizes PowerBar has 230 calories, a regular sizes Snickers: 215!
  • excognita
    excognita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Low starch, high-water fruits are my best friends. Red seedless grapes have 70 cal / 100g. I eat a lot of cantaIoupe and watermelon.

I also start the day with protein and fat. There's nothing wrong with carbs and I still try to meet my macros, but starting with carbs just makes me crave sugar all day, whereas protein keeps me full.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry between meals?

I like sargento "balanced break" packs for an afternoon snack - it's some portioned dry fruit, nuts, and cheese for 180 cal. Super filling.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    sdolan91 wrote: »

4. A cup of fruit

I second the cereal as a snack/dessert! I always have a box around every week. Two servings of a 100 cal cereal is a perfect snack for me! Rice crispies are great with cinnamon and a little sugar sprinkled on it if you want something with a lot of volume, and its reminiscent of a rice crispie treat!
  • ellustiina
    ellustiina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd say berries, fruits and nuts :)
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    nuts, dried fuits and yogurt portioned out it about 250/300kcal. veggies and hummous, fruit, protein shake if you need to hit protein goals, anything with peanut butter, rice cakes, honey and banana or instead of rice cakes you can have a small pitta bread. Yogurt, cereal or cereal bars of induldge in something nice like a biscuit or small piece of cake!