Competition Prep

Options
So I have about 7 months nuts before I compete in my first bikini competition-I am a little overwhelmed when it comes to where to start. I'm working out at Planet Fitness so I have access to good weights, but no trainers. Any trainers or competition folks, should I start cutting fat first, building muscle or a combination of the two? I've already lost about 9lbs since I've changed my diet but I get nowhere near enough protein apparently! Are there websites that walk you through all this or should I just break down and hire a trainer?

Replies

• FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time bodybuilding fan.I have been lifting for many years myself.
    The fact is there is far more that goes into physique competition than people know.You have to program lifting,cardio,diet,get a suit,buy a tanning product,make-up,etc..
    It might be helpful if you would consult with someone experienced.There are people who do that online but they're costly.Do you know anyone who's ever done a contest?Ask them who they worked with.Or maybe you can find a competition prep buddy.
    You can learn something online.Look up bikini competition prep on You Tube.
    I'm really more of a fan of the heavier bodybuilders,so I don't know much about the people who are in the bikini field.
    The big site Bodybuilding.com has a ton of info,and boards for enthusiasts.There's a women's board.
    Best of luck.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't compete but from what I have heard, I would highly recommend hiring a coach, especially one that can help you with posing and training.

What are your stats and bodyfat %? If you only have 7 months, running a full bulk cycle right may cut it close, also you want to give yourself enough time to lean down. If think you have a decent muscle foundation you can continue to cut - preserve muscle and lower your bodyfat % while lifting.
  • neilgib28
    neilgib28 Posts: 36 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OP, if you are able to provide as much info as possible on where you are today and where you would like to get to in 7months time then I'm sure the good folks on here can give you lots of great input and advice. Personal stats in terms of height, weight, %fat, current diet (macro breakdown, calorie goals), lifting program, strong/weak points in terms of current physique, etc.....
  • MamaCassK
    MamaCassK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I'm 5'8 about 157 and maybe 33% body fat (general stats) so I know I have my work cut out for me-I do agree that a professional can definitely get me where I want to be!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? If it's less than 2 years you might want to reconsider competing in 7 months. You really want to hire a trainer. There's a lot to competing beyond just losing fat. You have to build a specific look and you have to learn the posing.

I compete in bodybuilding and I see lots of women jump into a show way too soon. They don't have enough muscle, they starve to reach the low body fat that is needed, they look sickly on stage, and they rebound after the show to end up fatter than they were before they compete. Please just take the time to build the muscle first then diet down for a show. Your health is important.
  • MamaCassK
    Options
    I have honestly just started 2 months ago! So you think I need at least a year? I know the form has to look a certain way and follow a ton of bikini competitors on Instagram so I have a lot of work to do! Thank you for your help!!
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    MamaCassK wrote: »
    I have honestly just started 2 months ago! So you think I need at least a year? I know the form has to look a certain way and follow a ton of bikini competitors on Instagram so I have a lot of work to do! Thank you for your help!!

I respect your enthusiasm to compete after only lifting for 2 months!

However, that really isn't a long time and I would still consider you a beginner. It's hard to make judgments seeing as we don't know what your current physique looks like, but I would recommend to continue making progress and building a good foundation before you think about competing. Speaking with a coach when the time is right would also be advised.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Definitely take time to just train and actually build some muscle. I'd suggest at least a year of lifting under the guidance of a coach before considering competing.

Can I ask how you decided you want to compete?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I think you need a full year of lifting without dieting with a trainer or two years if you don't get a trainer. Look into one who has worked with competitors before, not just any trainer. Avoid any that want you to take steroids. It is very, very common for bikini competitors to use steroids to get lean even at the amateur level.
  • MamaCassK
    Options
    Yes I think I need to work harder and maybe even put it off until next summer-I made the decision after seeing a couple friends compete and how much intensity and work they put in! I think now that I am 46 I want different things and goals to work for and competing is one of them
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Start dieting down now and get to a decent bodyfat percentage. When you get there assess your physique and ask a good coach when they think you'll be ready.

I admire your enthusiasm but you're maybe a bit ahead of yourself.
  • MamaCassK
    Options
    Yea...damnit, you guys are probably right...maybe I should allow some more time.
  • deedee825
    deedee825 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So I have about 7 months nuts before I compete in my first bikini competition-I am a little overwhelmed when it comes to where to start. I'm working out at Planet Fitness so I have access to good weights, but no trainers. Any trainers or competition folks, should I start cutting fat first, building muscle or a combination of the two? I've already lost about 9lbs since I've changed my diet but I get nowhere near enough protein apparently! Are there websites that walk you through all this or should I just break down and hire a trainer?

I am also a dirst time competitor. I'm about 10 months out. Also trying to figure all of this out. We could help wach other
  • MamaCassK
    Options
    That would be awesome!!!
  • deedee825
    deedee825 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome!!!

I don't know how to add friends.Do you?
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Look up Dana Tindall on Instagram and Facebook. I work with her husband and with his coaching she got her first pro card in her first year, and in her 1st contest in her 2nd year she won all 3 categories she competed in.
    They are both great people and will have helpful insight. Thanks to her husband's coaching and support I've lost 50lbs.
    Good peeps.