Weight Watcher Defector; MFP Joiner - Have Questions

Options
Hey everyone! First of all thanks in advance for reading this. A little history: I am in a place where I am ready to lose weight and have been for several months now. I really needed some motivation and accountability at the start of my journey in January, so hired a trainer. It didn't really work out with him as some of the advice I was getting was really unrealistic, so I joined Slimming World. After a couple months I found the program was just too complicated and also there was no structure (unlimited pasta allowed - what?)

So still having the goal, I joined weight watchers in May. Again I really needed that accountability. But after 2.5 months I have not lost any weight. So I decided to plug in my food/calories into MFP as a test... With the daily allowance of smart points and eating quite healthily (veggies, fruits, lean meats, low fat, etc) - I was having upwards of 2300 calories per day - no wonder I was maintaining! Where some members on here have commented they are starving, I am the opposite, but I imagine if it did work, as the points would decrease, I would feel the same way.

Either way, I've decided it is not for me anymore. It was really nice to have that meeting of people and accountability, but I also noticed a lot of discussion around unhealthy habits and not too much on healthy living strategies. And what's nice is I am feeling that accountability to myself now and motivation on my own, so I am done and have just decided to use MFP. Of course more friends are always welcome!!!

My question for you is surrounding my goal... I have around 160 lbs to lose. One of my goals was exercising more often - not trying to become an olympic weight athlete or track star overnight but to simply move more. I started this week and have started walking briskly for 20-45 minutes per day. My goal for next week is to get into the gym and add some weight training alongside that cardio.

Based on this what would you call my activity level? I have a desk job and sit all day. I take regular walk around breaks but it is still a desk job; no activity besides my fingers on the keys...

Second question - the thing I liked about WW was the flexibility to be able to still live while trying to lose weight. How do you handle the drinks after work Friday or going out with your friends Saturday? I would like to be able to enjoy my life while still doing this; I've seen people write about their "cheat" meal or what not on here - what is some good advice around that?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you are likely sedentary - but would depend on your step counts for the day (sedentary is roughly less than 4k steps)

I don't have cheat meals - I just plan fun stuff into my daily calories - yesterday I had a cupcake and some cookies; alcohol I tend to steer clear from but everyone is different

if you are worried that your calorie goal is too restrictive, try adjusting (with 160lbs to lose, you could easily do 2lbs a week)
  • thestoryofangelina
    thestoryofangelina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for such a quick response @deannafisher - According to my wrist tracker, I am doing on average 8000 steps per day. On the rest days, it will likely be more around the 4000 mark.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

My question for you is surrounding my goal... I have around 160 lbs to lose. One of my goals was exercising more often - not trying to become an olympic weight athlete or track star overnight but to simply move more. I started this week and have started walking briskly for 20-45 minutes per day. My goal for next week is to get into the gym and add some weight training alongside that cardio.

Based on this what would you call my activity level? I have a desk job and sit all day. I take regular walk around breaks but it is still a desk job; no activity besides my fingers on the keys...

Second question - the thing I liked about WW was the flexibility to be able to still live while trying to lose weight. How do you handle the drinks after work Friday or going out with your friends Saturday? I would like to be able to enjoy my life while still doing this; I've seen people write about their "cheat" meal or what not on here - what is some good advice around that?

Thanks!!!

1) You are sedentary, your activity refers to your non-exercise activity level, this will give you a lower calorie allowance but any exercise that you do will give you additional calories to play with (if you are logging these using the database, bear in mind they can be inaccurate so probably best to aim to eat only 50% of them for a few weeks and then review your weight loss rate). If you are using a fitbit or similar tracker and have it synced with negative adjustments permitted, it doesn't matter too much what you set your activity level to as your calorie adjustment will correct any difference.

2) For me I have found the easiest way to be flexible around my life is to try my best to plan ahead, I use a weekly planning sheet, I have a section for notes at the top, so I have an event or social or plans with friends I make a note at the top and try to work around it, if I am going out for dinner, I might skip breakfast and have a lighter lunch so I don't have to comb through a menu looking for a lower calorie option or I will increase my activity level during the week to "bank" calories for the weekend. If it's a one off thing like my birthday or Christmas I might just have a maintenance day, the most important learning curve for me was realising that the bump up in the scale after these things is nearly all water weight and will vanish in a day or two.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for such a quick response @deannafisher - According to my wrist tracker, I am doing on average 8000 steps per day. On the rest days, it will likely be more around the 4000 mark.

MFP doesn't include deliberate exercise in their calculations for activity level, just stuff related to your job. Instead you log exercise, the same way you log food. You then "earn" additional calories (be careful as some numbers are a bit inflated). If this will encourage more exercise, great. If exercise is going to happen either way you might look at a TDEE calculator that includes exercise up front: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I "zig-zag" my calories. I eat a little less during the week and give those calories to my weekend. Whatever helps you stay the course.
  • IONickname
    IONickname Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. From what you've stated, it looks like you have a sedentary lifestyle. Don't take it as a judgment. It just means you burn fewer calories, so you'll need to increase activity or decrease calories to lose weight.

I started with WW over a decade ago and managed to lose 55 lbs. My problem with it is that it's a "for profit" business. To me, that means their ultimate goal is not to help you lose weight, but to make money on helping you lose enough weight to stick around, but not enough to get you to your goal. I like this place because it's free and because my biggest problem is accountability. MFP has more nutritional information than anything else I've tried. The hardest part for me was getting back into the habit of tracking.

With that said, once I quit WW, I managed to gain back about 40 of the 55. I still have about 75 to go (after re-losing 15, so far). There are days when I know I am going to pig out. The best strategy I have found for dealing with these types of days is to write it all down and look up calories before I stuff it into my face. (Thank goodness for smart phones!) That way, I am aware of what I am doing and can decide whether or not it will be worth gaining a pound or not losing that week. I had a 5 lb. gain over a particularly rough weekend, but I could see exactly why, so I didn't beat myself up about it.

As for drinking, I'm not much of a drinker, but when I do drink, I tend to stick to vodka or super light beers (Michelob Ultra or Miller 64). If you like sweeter drinks, a sweet, white wine (Moscato or Riesling) may be your best choice for calories. If you like mixers, use diet soda and stay away from the brown liquors (dark rum, whiskey, bourbon), as they tend to have more calories.

You're doing the right thing with exercise. Don't make yourself too sore to work out, however. It's ok to be a little sore as that will usually work itself out with more exercise. For strength training, think about re-hiring that trainer to get a good routine on all major muscle groups, then if you're disciplined, do it on your own. I don't have that level of self-discipline, so I have to pay a trainer to babysit my strength training or I get lazy.
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I record myself as sedentary and turn on the pedometer on my phone and take it with me when I walk. It's not super accurate but it does award me a couple extra calories every day. If you want something better you can get an actual pedometer for like $20.

I don't really like the term 'cheat' meal. But once or twice a week I skip eating back my exercise calories to bank a caloric deficit around 200-300 calories so I can indulge on Friday night. A lot of people on MFP make their goals weekly rather than daily.
  • thestoryofangelina
    Options
    @duebedm - thank you for those tips - yes pre-planning is such a huge success strategy. I've added you :-)

@tinkerbellang83 - Thank you - I didn't know exactly what the activity referred to so that helps A LOT. I have made sure my goal says 'not very active'. I'm not logging exercise (doing it in my daily journal by hand) - so won't be eating the "extra" calories I could get in doing that. I guess those activity calories could be in part used towards a meal out/a couple drinks on the weekend - as long as it is not excessive or out of hand. Thanks so much for your input - it really helped.

@TeaBea - You rock - thanks for your insight.

So I've got 1700 calories per day as per MFP's calculation and that sure is going to be a shock going from almost 2500 on WW to that!
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex WW'er also. I lost a good bit of weight on the old Points Plus plan but this new Smart Points is NOT for me. I lost weight on it but it is so restrictive that I couldn't stick to it.

I have been on MFP for a little over a month now and I am loving it. I love that counting calories is just that...there is no judgement on what is a good food or bad food like I felt on WW. I have fit all kinds of food into my diet, including homemade Italian bread yesterday. I wish you luck on your journey. Add me if you want another ex-WW'er who doesn't miss it at all!!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @duebedm - thank you for those tips - yes pre-planning is such a huge success strategy. I've added you :-)

@tinkerbellang83 - Thank you - I didn't know exactly what the activity referred to so that helps A LOT. I have made sure my goal says 'not very active'. I'm not logging exercise (doing it in my daily journal by hand) - so won't be eating the "extra" calories I could get in doing that. I guess those activity calories could be in part used towards a meal out/a couple drinks on the weekend - as long as it is not excessive or out of hand. Thanks so much for your input - it really helped.

@TeaBea - You rock - thanks for your insight.

So I've got 1700 calories per day as per MFP's calculation and that sure is going to be a shock going from almost 2500 on WW to that!

You should consider eating some of them back if you do start at the gym, otherwise you may find your energy levels dwindling. It is after all the way that MFP is set up to work so might as well use it as intended. Below might be helpful in understanding why...

fek29ohp1f05.jpg

• thestoryofangelina
    Options
    @IONickname - One thing I learned in this past few months is to face those "bad eating" days. Track them and own it. It is quite an eye-opener and makes you take more accountability for your choices. That way when you are about to make them again, you stop and think. A simple concept that applies to all areas of life, but still it was like a lightbulb when off when I started doing it. But I admit it took awhile. Also light beer - moving back to Canada in 8 months and can't wait to be able to finally have a beer lol - here in England they are all super heavy lagers and the only light beer (Coors) does not taste like our Coors back home at all!

@rolenthegreat - That concept with the exercise calories is one that really speaks to me. I don't think I will eat mine at all just yet; so knowing once a week I can have a bank of 200-300 calories for a night out indulgence sounds like a feasible and realistic option for being able to still enjoy life and food while losing weight.
  • thestoryofangelina
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 - you are amazing for making that! I understand; and yes that makes total sense about the calorie deficit and energy levels...
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I wrote it as part of the following post, which you might also find helpful :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • vxCricketxv
    vxCricketxv Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did WW long ago, when the points system was a lot simpler. I think that helped me more than the following "plus" programs that I never could keep up with. It worked fine for me. I lost weight with them, but I felt like it was just calorie counting at its core and was very happy to find MFP. No more paying their dues! This is much easier for me. I've lost 128 lbs since I started MFP just by staying honest with my tracking and moving more.

I also have a desk job. I got a fitness bracelet and I try to walk around as much as possible when I have the time. I've kept my activity level at sedentary. I don't log any exercise except what my steps plug in, and try not to eat but half of them back.

I don't have cheat days. I have maintenance days. If I go over, I try to keep the calories at maintenance and plan those allowances ahead. It helps control my splurges and I usually end up feeling good about choices if I can work them in. I try not to regret ice cream, or any other treat. Tomorrow is another day. I just chalk it up to living life and get back on track. (Halo brand ice cream, tasty and guilt free o:) )

Social outings for me are few and far in-between, but lots of restaurants menus are available and can be worked into the day. I've never considered any food out of bounds. Just logged it.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well funny thing, I lost my weight here but when it came to maintaining I didn't do as well. I have now joined WW to have accountability. I managed to have family celebrations and all the holidays and still lose but after losing my husband, I just fell off the rails and have gained back roughly 35 pounds. I'm back on track now, and I can tell you are in no better place to lose. And it's what you make it. Use it. I just need someone to actually see my progress in order to behave. Didn't really answer your questions but wanted to comment.
  • thestoryofangelina
    Options
    @lilacnine - this may sound like a silly question but what does "calories at maintenance" mean?

@swat1948 - sorry for your loss; and thanks for the insight. Everyone takes their journey in a different way and I am glad you found a way that works for you!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @lilacnine - this may sound like a silly question but what does "calories at maintenance" mean?

calories at maintenance means what you eat and maintain your weight within a defined weight range (I use about +/-2lbs from my goal weight - 149lbs)
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Breaking your exercise into smaller chunks and attainable goals is definitely the way to go - I like that you've started by increasing your walks for now and you have a next step planned. I found that making a goal list for scale and non-scale victories (NSV) made a huge difference in how I've approached this change in my habits. Do you have anything that is active that is also fun? ie. do you enjoy hikes? or dance?

The other question, I just own the less awesome days and owning them means I've had less of them but been accountable for each and every gram that went into my mouth.

Good luck, you sound like you're on a good track :)
  • thestoryofangelina
    Options
    Thanks for that @deannalfisher

@enyagoboom - Well I've signed up for the fun 5k at Disneyland Paris in September (its a stop go race with taking photos with the characters, etc so I was confident I could do it) and that has really been my major incentive. I love Disney so that got me SO motivated and dedicated!

After that in October I have a trip booked and then of course Christmas Party dress incentive for December... Every two weeks been doing NSV rewards (only NSV) as I don't want to turn anything into a negative experience at first while I'm getting going but will eventually add in a couple big things I really want as an incentive. Thanks for commenting!

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to Weight Watchers three times in the last 40+ years and each time it worked but I grew tired of it after awhile and usually quit as it was becoming obvious that the leaders had completed a cycle of topics and were starting to repeat.

Here is simple. You choose how to want to do things. Some folks induce complexities like low-carb, intermittent fasting, one-meal-a-day, keto, etc., etc., etc. None of these is necessary. All you need do is scrupulously measure and log all the food you eat and stay within calorie limits. That's all. How you arrange that is up to you. Whatever you choose, you will find people here that are doing similar things with similar struggles and successes.

Welcome to the "club."