Thoughts on logging "exercise"

Options
I've seen some people logging things such as vacuuming, doing laundry, making the bed, etc as "exercise" and I don't see the point. I mean I do all those things too. Always have. But I still got fat doing them so I don't think they should count as exercise calories.

What do you think?

Replies

• artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @SezxyStef That was my original thought as well.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log my exercise. My work schedule is on 4, off 3. When I work, I walk, a lot. I also go to the gym three times a week. Currently, I'm set as "Lightly active" and I'm not losing at a devastatingly fast pace (recommended 2-3lbs a week on average). Now... if I were down to my goal weight where maintenance was lower and I had to balance the calories on a more precise level, I may. I still wouldn't log my daily chores as exercise though since that's factored in to my activity levels.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    artanis50 wrote: »
    I've seen some people logging things such as vacuuming, doing laundry, making the bed, etc as "exercise" and I don't see the point. I mean I do all those things too. Always have. But I still got fat doing them so I don't think they should count as exercise calories.

What do you think?

I use Runkeeper to track it all. I wouldn't enter vacuuming into Runkeeper, so ...

The exceptions I make are for mowing the lawn and gardening.

I have an electric push lawn mower that isn't self propelled, so my Watch may track the steps -- and that's hit or miss, since it's also like tracking when you push a stroller -- but it's not actually tracking the exertion involved.

Ditto with gardening. I have a 160 square foot garden. Certain times of the year ... it is very work intensive. But if I'm just going out to do a basic harvest, and I'm not actually tilling or prepping anything, I don't count it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No, if it's things like that, I account for it in my daily activity setting. Even climbing the stairs at work are all part of that daily activity. The only thing I count is when I deliberately hit 'record' on my HRM and do a purposeful workout. Recording daily activities as exercise is double dipping to me.