Tips for travelling - NY

Options
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for trying to stay relatively on track while I go on a short break (5 nights) to New York.

I've managed quite well so far and lost around 24 lbs, however I don't want to let it all slip away while I'm on holiday.

I'm going with my partner who very much wants to experience the tastes as well as the sights on offer and I don't want to spoil any of her enjoyment.

I won't be able to use my phone to log while I'm away due to excessive data charges.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what kind of food to choose/avoid?

I'm hoping that I will counteract a fair portion of the increased calorie intake by the sheer amount of extra steps I'll be doing each day.

Thanks in advance for tips :)

Replies

• lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I recently spent 3 weeks in France. I decided I would enjoy the food and not worry about it. The only health-related goal I set was to walk at least 10,000 per day. I haven't weighed myself since I returned but my clothes still fit so I can't have done too much damage. You will not undo your progress on a five day trip. Remember, it takes 3,500 calories beyond your TDEE to gain a pound. I would also suggest avoiding the scale for a week or so when you return because you will probably have water weight.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Avoid cheap fast food. I just got back from a break and undid weeks of work.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    It's only five days... enjoy yourself within reason. When I go on vacation I usually eat light and healthy for breakfast, lunch, snack... and then I indulge a bit for dinner. I'll still order something I normally wouldn't eat but I do go for substitutions like I skip the starch and ask for double the veg instead... stuff like that. I try to stick to simple things too. I've been weighing and logging for so long that I can sort of eyeball a portion size by now.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    One thing you might try is to eat only two real meals a day. Breakfast and dinner or lunch and dinner. Have a piece of fruit or yogurt for the missing meal if you are hungry. I've done this when travelling and it makes up for the higher calorie restaurant meals. Also, just be smart in your meal choices. Steak is less fattening that pizza. Fish or chicken are usually safer than pasta. Skip the bread.

Or just enjoy the trip and start over again when you get home. You won't gain much in just 5 days.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. And if you're worried, seek out places with great vegetarian/vegan options. They're usually a lighter option calorie-wise (but not always!). This site is great: https://happycow.net/north_america/usa/new_york/new_york_city/
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Whenever I visit NYC, I walk so much it pretty well allows me to eat out and not gain much, if anything.
  • RichJames90
    RichJames90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for help guys!
    I think I'll go with the light breakfast (fruit and yoghurt) and enjoy the rest :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are from, but in my area of the US it is common to have free refills on soft drinks. Found out the hard way it's not necessarily the way in NYC. Verify before mindlessly asking for a refill on your Diet Coke or ice tea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Use free wifi to log your food.

Don't take the bus or subway... walk.

I can't do the light breakfast thing unfortunately (always hungrier in the morning, but don't care for breakfast food, so it's a problem), and do my biggest meal at lunch, but to each their own.

When I go to NYC I just hit the places that have food I can't get elsewhere (which typically means French food). Of course I'm in NJ so it's not like I can't get good pizza here, lol. But last time I spent the day there, I walked 12 miles, enjoyed some tasty pastries from Dominique Ansel, had some tasty French flatbread for lunch, and I was too stuffed to have dinner anyway.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    when i go on vaca, i don't worry about my food intake or calorie AT ALL. because it's a very short amount of time compared to the rest of my life. five days is nothing. NOW if you are going on an extended 1 month cruise or something like that, that would be totally different. have fun! I LOVE NYC!!! they have the BEST waiter/waitress service!
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Avoid "Rays" pizza. There's about 20 of them. There's a coal oven pizza adjacent to the Ed Sullivan theater and I love the Otto restaurant. There's a huge Italian market called Eatily, everything is great there.
  • RichJames90
    RichJames90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Not sure where you are from, but in my area of the US it is common to have free refills on soft drinks. Found out the hard way it's not necessarily the way in NYC. Verify before mindlessly asking for a refill on your Diet Coke or ice tea.

I'm from the UK - free refills aren't uncommon but it's not expected really so I should be good there. Thanks for the heads up though
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    5 days can't make any difference in the long run. I think you should enjoy yourself and eat enough and what you want. You'll most likely not eat all the time, but do other things. You'll also go right back to your plan when you get home. If the problem is fearing you won't be able to get back to your plan when you get home, adjust your plan to something you want to stick to.