Keto Newbie

Options
I am in my 3rd week of doing Keto Diet. Would love to hear from others what is/isn't working for you. Finding no carb/low carb foods and reaching my fat goals without chugging MCT Oil havery been my biggest struggles. I know it will imove as I am further along, but any advice and support would be appreciated.

Replies

• barbaraprudhomme
    barbaraprudhomme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to start the Keto Diet, and would also love to hear about the experiences of others!
  • melanieelsieme
    melanieelsieme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to mfp. Please add
  • beckyhosack
    beckyhosack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi VMKelley77 and barbaraprudhomme! I am a 3 month in keto eater. What I found most challenging was learning (and some days I still am) to ignore everything I ever learned about how to eat to lose weight! I was taught, no fat, high protein, veggies, some dairy. NOW it's all good fats, some veggies, some protein, no carb, dairy is fine lol. I also learned that too much protein turns to sugar. That was a biggie for me because if I was hungry it was easy for me to grab a chicken breast from the fridge, something I always had cooked because that's what I lived on. Once I started tracking what I ate, I realized that I was WAY over on protein. That is something I still struggle with every day. Another thing that is very important is tracking. I am not good at it and have to make myself do it. You will be amazed once you get your macro's set up in here where you are doing good and bad. I have found if I hit a plateau, I go back and make sure I logged what I was eating. Typically I will see why I am not losing and I need to adjust. I also am constantly online looking up new recipes. You can get stuck in a rut with food if you are a busy person like I am. I love to cook but I work around 12-14 hours a day and when it's 9pm and I am trying to figure out what to make for dinner, I have a tendency to just eat the same things. This gets boring and leads me to want to fall off my WOE that I know works. Another thing to watch is that although certain alcohol is ok on keto, for some people it stalls their weight loss. I am one of those people and found out the hard way. If I have more than 1-2 drinks a week, I am thrown out of keto for days. I haven't looked yet, but maybe we need to start a message board just for keto WOE?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • VMKelley77
    VMKelley77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses and advice.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hey there! 6+ months on Keto and a lifer at this point

1. Don't think you can eat as much as you want on Keto, you still have to maintain a calorie deficit.
    2. Drink tons, and I mean TONS of water
    3. Keto flu = chicken broth or pickle juice
    4. Fat bombs help, but don't rely on them all the time!
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing keto feel free to add me! :smile: I've been in going on 14 weeks, I've lost 20 lbs.
  • KetoPhillip
    KetoPhillip Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Been on Keto for 18days. Lost 26lbs so far. Ate bad today but ill do better tomorrow i promise
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing keto feel free to add me! :smile: I've been in going on 14 weeks, I've lost 20 lbs.

Congrats that is excellent.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Congrats that is excellent.

Thank you very much! 45 lb loss total since 2013 :smile:
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Been on Keto for 18days. Lost 26lbs so far. Ate bad today but ill do better tomorrow i promise

First couple months is hard with mental cravings. Physical ones gone after a couple days in ketosis but the routine of swinging into Drive-thru for a soda was hard. Soda free 1 year and 1 day now so just need to push through those urges. Congrats on the loss.
  • MisssG7
    MisssG7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started keto 3 days ago
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm new to keto as well, started this week. My main challange is hitting my fat macros...the only way i was able to do it is to double up my butter and mct in my coffee.
  • loginfromhere
    loginfromhere Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What's keto?