Harder to lose weight 2nd/3rd time around?

Options
Hi everyone,

I started trying to lose weight on WWer's last year and lost about 13lbs, but left it because I found the points system to frustrating and gained back half of the weight. I tried again in the Spring and lost some weight, but then I hurt my foot and put most of the weight back on again.

I'm finding that even with intense exercise and watching my food (today was a free day), I have not seen much of a difference in the scale this week. Have any other repeat offenders (at least, that's what I call myself), found it hard to take off the weight after multiple attempts? How have you gotten your body to start losing again?

TIA!

Replies

• Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    I have only tried to lose weight once before and lost 20kgs hit a plateau and gave up and gained it all back. Then I started at uni and got even bigger, this is only my second time trying and I think it is good to lose the weight slowly because that way it is easier to maintain.

I tend to only weight myself once a month, I like to see results in the mirror and how clothes fit rather then the scale. In time I believe I will see the results on the scale too.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Totally more challenging to relose than it was to lose. Last summer, I moved pretty quickly through twenty pounds, then took another twenty off by February....and put on 8 in the Spring.

For the past three weeks I've been diligent, started C25K, and am barely budging..... I think part of it is that I'm at a much more reasonable rate, and not taking fitness classes five days a week (because school's out of session.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I started trying to lose weight on WWer's last year and lost about 13lbs, but left it because I found the points system to frustrating and gained back half of the weight. I tried again in the Spring and lost some weight, but then I hurt my foot and put most of the weight back on again.

I'm finding that even with intense exercise and watching my food (today was a free day), I have not seen much of a difference in the scale this week. Have any other repeat offenders (at least, that's what I call myself), found it hard to take off the weight after multiple attempts? How have you gotten your body to start losing again?

TIA!
    When you lose weight, you lose a combination of fat and lean muscle. You lose muscle faster if you don't strength train and eat enough protein to help keep it.
    If you lost muscle, then your metabolic rate is lower. So unless you gained back that muscle you lost previously, your caloric burn is going to be less. Which explains why many people who lost a lot of weight and gained it back have more fat at the same weight they were before.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    totally agree with ninerbuff.....i was working out hard with a trainer 4-5x week lifting alot and taking hard fitness vacations, etc. and then i gained back about 12 lbs but stopped working out for awhile and when i restarted i didn't really seriously do weight training (still sporadic)......lost muscle and now have to rebuild it to get my momentum. i've lost but it's super slow going...
  • Asmik
    Asmik Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there! I started WW on July 17, 2010 and lost 30 lb in eight months. Then it stopped, and I was desperate for loosing weight. I finally gave up and went on calorie restriction plan and lost another 10 lb. What I've learned from this plan that WW was missing is eating on a strict schedule, every 2-3 hours, and drinking plenty of water, at least 10-13 cups per day. I realized that I started being sloppy with WW over time, stopped measuring, and was eyeballing more! Water really helped to fuel up the metabolism, and the discipline kept me full for two hours. Try this strategy, I am very excited about the changes!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    See, the muscle thing is what's getting me confused because the break when I hurt myself wasn't that long. I can feel the muscle building and I've already done a lot of strength training-- maybe I'm just retaining water this week?

Hmmm ... well, hopefully, my body will get into the groove soon....