Menopause And Weight Gain

Options
2»

Replies

• msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is my first year of menopause and I gained 18.5 pounds. I'm 52 years old. I could not control eating sweets. I was waking up through out the night with hot flashes and night sweats. I could not wear any of my summer clothes from last summer. I got so frustrated that I would not even get on the scale. Well one night I could not take it, I prayed for help. The next day I got on the scale and it was a wake up call for me. I became a Vegetarian and started walking 30 - 60 minutes daily. My calorie intake is about 1540 and I do not eat my exercise calories. After 4 weeks I lost 4.5 pounds. It is slow progress but I gonna keep going. With all that said you have to count and record all you eat and be mindful of the choices. I eat a Whole Grain/Plant based diet which has open me enjoy veggie and grain I never eaten before. I do not even miss eating meat. You took the first step asking for help.

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I went into menopause at around 45. I kept my weight in a pretty good range till about 57. Then it became a real battle. I now eat 1200 cal plus my exercise calories (5'2"). I count and log every day. No "weekend off" as that had me gain ten pounds in a year.
  • lauraslinn947
    lauraslinn947 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    53, 5'3", post menopause (early at around 43-45). I run (either 10k or speed sessions) 3x per week, am active with lots of walking, yoga & Pilates 4x pw, body pump 1x.

To lose weight (about 1.5lb pw) I have to stick at 1200 cals, not eat back any exercise cals, 7 days pw. To do this I avoid alcohol entirely as I'd rather eat my calories.

At maintenance I set a weekly calorie target (around 10,000) and spread it over the week according to my diary.

It is tough and takes discipline but is worth it to me. I have seen no difference in my ability to gain/lose weight from my mid 20s. The only difference I've noted is that my energy levels are not quite where they were (but still good) and any excess weight tends to go to my tummy/boobs/back.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    So I'm one of those annoying women that always thought she was fat, but damn it now I all of a sudden am. 30 pounds up from where I was 15 years ago. My energy level slowed down when I started menopause and even though bio-identical hormones, that miracle cure, has me feeling better and more energetic, the weight is just not coming off! I admit, I'm not killing myself like I used to with karate or running until I can't breathe, my joints can't take that anymore, but I'm doing pushups, PiYo which includes a lot of lunges and squats, and I walk a lot at my job. When I get rid of this darn sinus infection, I'm going to start HIIT training on my treadmill a day or two a week. I've recently started following the PiYO eating plan which is putting me at 1500 calories a day (at 52 and 5'3"). But I seem to keep gaining weight. I have a neverending appetite. I will admit I have a free day and I do drink wine of Fridays and Saturdays. What more can I do? After working all week I really look forward to sharing that bottle of wine with my husband.
    No I don't watch my calories on free days, that's probably a big issue. As far as measuring I measure by weight unless it's a sauce or liquid which I measure in cups. Truthfully, I don't measure lettuce, or a slice of bread, but I track it by brand. I'm just frustrated. Never would have believed it would be this difficult to lose.

That will do it!

That's how I gained my weight.

For 4 years, I ate well during the week, and lost weight during the week ... and then I'd let things go on the weekend, and would gain just a tiny bit more than I'd lost on the weekend.

In 4 years, I gained about 20 kg ... 5 kg/year ... 0.4 kg/month. Hardly even enough to notice, until suddenly one day ...

When I joined MFP, I stuck to my calorie limit absolutely without fail for 16 weeks. That made a big difference. At the age of 48, and well into perimenopause, I lost 1 kg/week.

Regarding exercise, I'm a long distance cyclist. :) That was one of my motivations for losing the weight. When I gained the weight, I couldn't cycle up hills anymore and that made me sad. When I lost weight, I was able to get right back into my long distance cycling. :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and currently weigh what I did in my teens and early 20s. I lost weight fairly easily once I got my low thyroid properly medicated (about 15 years ago). I am able to maintain my loss as long as I keep up my exercise. When I slack off, the weight comes back. I found that by exercising regularly, I had very few bad menopause symptoms. It really helped. Currently I run 35+ miles per week and walk another 20 or so.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    53 here and I hear you! I've fluctuated and dieted before, but nothing extreme, and usually keeping the excess weight off for 5 or more years.

Menopause hit me hard. I used to lose weight on 1500 to 1600 calories ( I'm 162 cm) - nowadays I'm busting my kitten with a minimum 10-15 hours cardio a week( 4 of those hours swimming laps) strength training (newbie levels) 3 x a week and eating 1100 - 1250 calories (+170 for extra protein shake on strength days) and I'm losing about 2 -3 pounds a month. I'm starving most of the time, hunger cranky and have frequent intense hot flashes. 5 months in it is taking everything I have to keep going. (Yes I carefully measure my food, I drink only 1-2 alcoholic drinks a month, I don't crave sweets, I don't drink calories...)

I totally disagree with the person(s) above who said it is as hard for everyone and menopause makes no difference, and anyone can lose weight without exercise (and they use 'it worked for ME' as evidence). I believe that is total *kitten*. Yes CiCo is true for everyone but what that means for the individual is different. My experience tells me for ME the calories expended post menopause have plummeted to a pitiful rate - so somehow I'll have to adapt. Ymmv.

What I HOPE is that I'll find that something that works and is sustainable for me. Keto works for some. IF for others. Etc. I'm going to go on a diet break soon (1 week at 1400 calories I think is probably maintenance for me) and try a new approach like IF. I'll try the next approach for a few months and reevaluate with another break.

I guess I'm trying to say: I understand where you're coming from. Don't give up hope – but keep trying at different things to find something sustainable for you. Also don't believe people who say this is the one and only way to do it. What works for someone else may not work for you and vice versa.
  • bamakathy
    bamakathy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and had tried every diet known to man. Six weeks ago, the dr said my blood glucose was out of control and put me on a very low carb diet. I am down 13 lbs, my blood glucose is doing great, and I feel so much better- more energy, less inflammation/pain, better concentration. And this is the first diet I'm not hungry on.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you can friend me if you like. alot of my "friends" here on MFP are also in meno- or premenopause and we help each other. LCHF has been working very well for me post-meno. feel free to join us.
    :flowerforyou:
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bamakathy wrote: »
    I am 61 and had tried every diet known to man. Six weeks ago, the dr said my blood glucose was out of control and put me on a very low carb diet. I am down 13 lbs, my blood glucose is doing great, and I feel so much better- more energy, less inflammation/pain, better concentration. And this is the first diet I'm not hungry on.

that is great news! keep up the good work! :flowerforyou: congrats!