Sedentary or lightly active?

Options
Sorry if you guys get this question a lot, but I really need a second opinion here because I'm not sure if I'm sedentary or lightly active.

I work a job where I'm on my feet all day for 2 full days of the week, with the odd extra shift. The rest of my work I do from a laptop, so sat down. I go to the gym 3 days a week for upwards of an hour, with half an hour cardio and then 30+ minutes of strength training.

I've read in some places that you have to work out every day to be lightly active, whereas others have said a long workout 3 or so times a week is enough to meet the criteria. This is where my confusion is coming from. I'd really appreciate your advice on this. Thanks! :)

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sedentary vs light active has nothing to do with workouts that get logged separately. When not at work or working out ate you up moving or a couch potato?
    I would start at sedentary but if losing faster than expected move to light active.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is your approximate step count for the day (excluding purposeful exercise) - sedentary is less than 4k steps; lightly active is 4k-8k(ish)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Just pick one. Try it for two or three months. If you're losing weight as the program says you should, continue. If not, adjust accordingly. My suggestion, start at sedentary and see how it goes. if you drop weight too quickly, change to lightly active. Just start.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lonff wrote: »
    Sorry if you guys get this question a lot, but I really need a second opinion here because I'm not sure if I'm sedentary or lightly active.

I work a job where I'm on my feet all day for 2 full days of the week, with the odd extra shift. The rest of my work I do from a laptop, so sat down. I go to the gym 3 days a week for upwards of an hour, with half an hour cardio and then 30+ minutes of strength training.

I've read in some places that you have to work out every day to be lightly active, whereas others have said a long workout 3 or so times a week is enough to meet the criteria. This is where my confusion is coming from. I'd really appreciate your advice on this. Thanks! :)

I would check what MFP gives you for both, and then pick something in between (since you are lightly active for 2-3 work days and sedentary the rest of the work week).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Careful of reading multiple sites.

There is a Harris 5 activity level chart from 1919 study that is all about exercise (1-3 days, 3-5 days, ect) but no daily activity considered used on most sites that deal with total daily calorie burn (TDEE).

There is MFP 4 activity levels that are all about daily activity but no exercise. (called NEAT method many times, or more accurately non-exercise TDEE).

For merely the fact you are not sitdown the entire time - I'd suggest Lightly-Active.
    But for others even if a 1hr drive to and from making 10 hrs daily sitting, even if you do nothing but TV/computer/games all night and weekends long except for times you exercise.

If you have household chores, pet, kids, weekend shopping, ect - easily Lightly Active on MFP, if not heading on up.

Reminder to what was mentioned - on MFP you add in exercise when done since not accounted for.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would say sedentary because that's what you are 90% of the week, assuming you work 16 out of 164 hours. Log the gym extra and eat back about half the exercise cals. On the days you work have an extra snack to offset the extra activity. If you sync an activity tracker, that will adjust for the variations.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I would say sedentary because that's what you are 90% of the week, assuming you work 16 out of 164 hours. Log the gym extra and eat back about half the exercise cals. On the days you work have an extra snack to offset the extra activity. If you sync an activity tracker, that will adjust for the variations.

How would you know 90% of the week - when the weekend and evenings have never been mentioned?

Vast majority that get fitness trackers that I've seen report their findings that their evenings-only help balance out their desk job during the day so they are Lightly-Active, never mind the weekends.

Accomplishing less than 4000 steps is really sedentary ALL day long AND on weekends - which is plain unknown in this case.
  • lonff
    lonff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys! It's definitely a confusing topic but I feel like I understand it a bit better now