Plan advice

Options
DaveMustGetFit
DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi I wanted to share my plan and see what you guys think. I have been getting a lot of good advice and learning and reading but feel like a newb. All I have ever done in the past is cut cals and I got results - sometimes huge ones. But now I want to do better and do weight training and cardio and do something like a CUt to preserve as much muscle as possible.

I have lost 16 lbs over 86 days doing 1500 cals per day, 5x5s 3x per week and cardio 6 times per week. My eating has been "whatever" and not clean. I can see now there are many errors in this approach (even though it has yielded some good results). Here is my new plan...

I am 20% body fat (best guess), 203 lbs, 5'10" male.

I am planning on working out 3 times on 5x5 and 3 times cardio now, alternating days.
Cardio will be 30 mins on elliptical HIITs or 30 mins treadmill approx 5k.
I am going to try my best to do clean eating and 195 grams of protein, 45 grams of fat, 211 grams of carbs as my general targets.
This increases my cals to 2030 per day from ~1600 (a little scary for me)

But I can see how the remix in macros would make a big difference here, so I am going on faith that this will
a) Allow me to achieve a CUT
b) Allow me to maintain muscle, maybe build some more beginner strength
c) Allow me to keep LOSING fat and maybe weight (although I don't care about weight just fat/muscle).

What do you guys think?

Historically my metabolism has been very very very bad!!!!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am going to try my best to do clean eating

Don't do that, bad approach, flawed.

195 grams of protein, 45 grams of fat, 211 grams of carbs as my general targets

That's more protein than you need, or is even beneficial. For your weight, you don't need more than 167 grams of protein per day. I'd bump fat intake up to between 60 and 70 grams per day.

1600 was absurdly low, 2030 is much closer to where you should be for a cut.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    I am going to try my best to do clean eating...
    Rather than type out a reply, I'll let Alan Aragon (one of the premier evidence-based nutrition/training guys) speak: http://atlargenutrition.com/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

...and 195 grams of protein, 45 grams of fat, 211 grams of carbs as my general targets.
    Another solid, evidence-based source: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice so far
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Your plan...

Calories at 1500 were lower than you needed at your size but I suspect something is a bit amiss with your logging by your rate of loss. 2030 isn't all high to achieve a reasonable deficit. Shorter, lighter and older than you and I lose under 2500.

Clean eating - snort!! :) I don't agree with vague and arbitrary definitions and definitely don't agree with food restrictions based on that. I prefer to start from what I think should include rather than what I "should" exclude.

Protein @ 195g higher than you need. That's OK unless it squeezes out space in your calorie allowance for other food which may be more useful, enjoyable or sustainable.

Exercise routine - sounds a good mix of lifting and cardio.

"Metabolism low" - have you had it tested? If not then it's unlikely yours is significantly different to the general population.
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Great advice man - lots of good advice here

On clean eating, you are right about rough definitions. I guess some process foods are fine and I would agree prioritizing my macro needs seems more important to me.
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Well since writing thisbhave done more reading and figured out that I am mostly an endomorph. This means I need to bias fat over carbs due to the way we stocky types deal with glucose. As such I believe my macros need to be something like 40 protein / 20 carbs and 40 fat

Does anyone disagree?

I am guessing this will be hard for me to do as like most people, I love carbs.

I also learned I need to decrease rest time between reps and do cardio 3-4 times per week (which I already am doing)

Carbs are most useful to me post workout.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Stop reading woo.

Stick to reading the evidence based sources like the ones @AnvilHead Quoted above.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well since writing thisbhave done more reading and figured out that I am mostly an endomorph. This means I need to bias fat over carbs due to the way we stocky types deal with glucose. As such I believe my macros need to be something like 40 protein / 20 carbs and 40 fat

Does anyone disagree?

I also learned I need to decrease rest time between reps and do cardio 3-4 times per week (which I already am doing)

Yes, I disagree.

Somatotypes are a myth and you shouldn't base your macro ratios (or anything else, for that matter) upon them. They were made up in the 1940s by a psychologist after he looked at pictures of people and classified them based upon his feelz. There's no science involved and they're not valid indicators of anything.

[ETA:] There's nothing inherently wrong with 40/20/40 as your macro split, although it's probably more protein than you need and you say it will probably be hard on you to cut carbs to that level, so why make it unnecessarily hard on yourself for no good reason? Adherence is the biggest driver of success in both your diet and your workouts. Read the thread I linked above, set up your macros based upon sound scientific research and profit.

Also, reducing rest periods (depending on what you're currently doing) may not be helpful. If you give yourself less time to recuperate between sets, you reduce the quality (and volume) of your workout. Again, I don't see the sense of making that decision based upon imaginary somatotypes. I'll bet William Herbert Sheldon didn't even lift.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Does anyone disagree?

Yes - completely disagree! (See @AnvilHead above - spot on).

It's complete nonsense to think you process glucose or other carbs differently because you are "stocky". You have exactly the same glucose receptors as everyone else.
    Eating a diet you dislike for a spectacularly bad reason is a great way to set yourself up to fail.
    Align your training with your goals - not woo.

By the way something that might amuse you.......
    Many years ago I was getting an assessment from a Neurologist and he dictated as he went "A stocky man in his 30's"....".
    Hey Doc - did you just call me fat using a code word?
    "Erm - sorry, yes. But there is a fair amount of muscle buried underneath."

Crushed. :(
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OP: The "you don't need THAT much protein" comments are always red flags to me but, in this case, I'd agree but not for the reason other commentors suggest.

You don't need "that" much protein because I see no reason for you to increase your cal intake from 1500 to 2000 at this time because you still have too much BF at 20% and should remain in a deficit to lose more.

BTW: If you're serious, a guess for your BF is insufficient. Get a DXA scan or hydro test or get measured w/calipers by someone actually qualified to take such measurements. Otherwise, you really don't know what your BF is.

I get a DXA and hydro test every 3 months and weigh myself and log all my food daily and keep track of all of the data on Excel. If you don't have the discipline to accurately monitor your progress, you are just wasting your time. Just my POV.

In any event, 1500 cal/day is a pretty extreme deficit for someone 5'10" & still weighing 200#.

I'm 5'8" and when I weighed 196, I started my wt loss at 1600 cals for a couple of months but that was not sustainable and raised it to 1800 where it stayed for 10 months during which time I both lost and maintained weight because as I lost wt & fat my TDEE also dropped.

Only recently in the past 3 months did I raise my cals up to 2100 but that appears to have been a bit too much too soon, so I have dropped it back to 1900.

Point is, that I don't think you should raise your cals to 2000 at this time. 1800 probably would be better and using macros of 40P/40C/20F (which is about what 195gP/211gC/45gF work out to on a 2030 cal diet), you would need only 180gP/180gC/40gF.

My exercise program to start with was was very similar to what you say you are going to do. 3 days doing SL or Starting Strength and 2 days of cardio. Still workout 4-5 days a week but less strenuously than before. My macros were also identical to yours and have been so for the past 15 months.

During this time, my weight dropped from 196 to 158, my BF dropped from over 20% down to 8.9%, my strength increased by about 30% across the board, my LBM remained constant which means I neither lost nor gained LBM and only lost fat, I developed a visible 6 pack and more muscle definition/tone and vascularity than I thought possible.

So, if your goals are as you say to: 1) cut, 2) maintain LBM - - you say muscle but you can't measure that-- and 3) lose fat, then just increase your cals initially to 1800, log all of your food intake and stick to your cal and macro limits (it doesn't have to be clean but it has to be w/in specs) and do the exercise program that you say you're going to do and you should achieve your goals w/in 10-12 months.

Good luck!
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Very helpful replies everyone. Will consider all advice with great care!