What is your simplest, quick, easy meal?

Options
2»

Replies

• CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Avocado toast with a fried egg on top!!! I eat it for breakfast or dinner at least twice a week.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Pasta topped w/ ground chicken meatballs, tomato chunks, sautéed spinach, and crumble feta
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I'm making a huge pot of turkey chilli today and it couldn't be easier.

Through a packet of turkey mince in to a big pot with an inch of water.
    Then throw in
    Stock cube, crumbled up
    2 tea spoons of crushed garlic. I buy it ready done in a jar. Life is too short to chop garlic B)
    Chop up a whole packet of mushrooms
    2 onions chopped
    A bag of kale ( I buy the ready chopped at Aldi)
    1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1 yellow pepper, chopped up
    3 large carrots. I spiralise but you can just chop.
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Chilli powder to the heat you like.

You could add kidney beans but I'm not a fan.

When it's cooked I serve it with cous cous or jacket potatoes.

Portion it up for the freezer as ready meals for those CBA nights.

The first step should be "brown the minced meat" and then add water/stock scraping the brown bits from the pan. That will improve this a lot :)

That's the great thing with chilli, you can do it any way you like and throw in any thing you like.

I never brown turkey mince as I find it dries it out, I always brown beef/lamb/pork mince then drain away the fat. I love turkey boiled to keep the moisture in it. Same with chicken if I'm adding it to a sauce or anything.

Quite often I'll chuck in other veg, what ever I need to use up really. It's also nice topped with a bit of Parmesan and a sprinkle of pumkin seeds :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I am new to cooking (my mother rarely cooked growing up, then roommates in college and previous mates did most of the cooking) and I am looking for low-fuss meal recipes.

No fancy ingredients or special kitchen gadgets please. =) Stuff that is readily available at standard grocery chains would be ideal.

Thanks so much for your contributions!

Eggs
    Grilled sandwiches
    Pasta
    Salad
    Leftovers
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Last night I needed a quick dinner when I got home so I rinsed a can of black beans and rolled half of the can of beans up with two scrambled eggs and cheese in a tortilla. Easy peasy proteiny burrito. Now I have half the open can of black beans to eat with my lunch today.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Roast veggies... baking sheet... cube things like potato, carrots squashes, beets, turnips, sweet potatoes more colour means more nutrients, toss them in a bowl with salt, pepper, olive oil coat the baking sheet with olive oil bake at 375 until tender ( easily penetrated with a fork) now you got a tasty side to ho with your protein, store what you don't eat in the fridge and microwave to warm them for another meal... check out Jamie Oliver shows to learn and develop some kitchen confidence.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I'm making a huge pot of turkey chilli today and it couldn't be easier.

Through a packet of turkey mince in to a big pot with an inch of water.
    Then throw in
    Stock cube, crumbled up
    2 tea spoons of crushed garlic. I buy it ready done in a jar. Life is too short to chop garlic B)
    Chop up a whole packet of mushrooms
    2 onions chopped
    A bag of kale ( I buy the ready chopped at Aldi)
    1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1 yellow pepper, chopped up
    3 large carrots. I spiralise but you can just chop.
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Chilli powder to the heat you like.

You could add kidney beans but I'm not a fan.

When it's cooked I serve it with cous cous or jacket potatoes.

Portion it up for the freezer as ready meals for those CBA nights.

The first step should be "brown the minced meat" and then add water/stock scraping the brown bits from the pan. That will improve this a lot :)

That's the great thing with chilli, you can do it any way you like and throw in any thing you like.

I never brown turkey mince as I find it dries it out, I always brown beef/lamb/pork mince then drain away the fat. I love turkey boiled to keep the moisture in it. Same with chicken if I'm adding it to a sauce or anything.

Quite often I'll chuck in other veg, what ever I need to use up really. It's also nice topped with a bit of Parmesan and a sprinkle of pumkin seeds :)

Your response was so much nicer than mine would have been.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey with eggs. Obviously added stuff makes it even better and makes great leftov3ers. I add peppers, onions, and black beans. SO good. When I'm feeling fancy I top w avocado and salsa. NOMS

I also love black beans and quinoa. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Another go to is crock pot meals. Cuz like... so easy.

Or grilled chicken or beef and eat either in a corn tortilla (also making tortillas out of eggs is pretty easy and yummy), with spinach, salsa (OKAY I LOVE SALSA!!), pico, and peppers or whatever I'm loving.

Black beans and sautéed sweet potato tacos are also a big hit for me and my belly.

ANYWAY... I'm hungry now
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Anything in the crock pot is my friend. I have a huge roast in there today but make all kinds of things in it. Easy prep and after 6-8 hours you have a full meal. My favorite is Beef Stroganoff and then of course stew and chili.

Stroganoff in the crock pot:

1.5 - 2lbs stew meat, tenderized
    two cans cream of mushroom soup, low sodium
    1 can of water (less if you want thicker Stroganoff)
    1 basket of sliced fresh mushrooms

Mix up the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. 30 minutes before it is done add 1/2 cup of sour cream, mix in and turn the pot to the "warm" setting. Let it sit while you prepare egg noodles. Top the noodles with the Stroganoff from the crock pot and add more sour cream if you like.

• melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try one of the cooking meal delivery services. You can have step by step instructions, so you can learn to cook.

My favorite quick and easy meal is oven baked broccoli and shrimp. 450 degree oven. with dry broccoli drizzle olive oil and stir to coat evenly, and salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir broccoli and add shrimp that has been coated with olive oil, salt and pepper and put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.

If you line the baking sheet with foil, the clean up is fast and easy as well.

Does not reheat well!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled Eggs, mixed greens, chopped up veggies. Add a little vinegrette, voila!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For a really quick storecupboard meal I like:

Put on some pasta. While that cooks, chop half a small onion, 4 or 5 sundried tomatoes (in oil is good, shake off the excess first!), throw these in a frying pan with a bit of garlic, oregano, chilli flakes if you like. Add some sliced olives once they're nearing done. By this point the pasta is probably cooked, so drain and toss everything together with some toasted pine nuts, or if I have them in the freezer, bits of sausage or shrimp. Fresh spinach is also tasty if you have it. But as a basic meal from the cupboard when you don't want to go out then it works!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Easy 1/2 hour meal: oven fries, a patty, a frozen veg or salad. We buy chicken, turkey, salmon, and tuna burgers at Trader Joe's but you can get them in just about any grocery store. You can use any type of potato for the oven fries, including sweet potato. Each type tastes different.
    1. Preheat oven to 400F, convection fan on if you've got one. Preheat a skillet or grill pan in the oven for the patties.
    2. Cut potatoes into about 1/2" thick fries -- no need to peel. Toss in 1 tablespoon olive oil + seasonings. Distribute on a rack, on foil, or directly on a sheet pan. If on a rack, you won't need to flip them. Shove them in the oven for 10 minutes (30 minutes total)
    3. Put a frozen patty of your choice on the hot skillet or grill pan. Set timer for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir the potatoes if you think they need it.
    4. Flip the patties, and the potatoes if they need it, and set the timer for a second 8 to 10 minutes. Make the salad/slaw or microwave a frozen vegetable while the patties cook on their second side and the potatoes finish.

In half an hour or less you have a balanced meal of meat, oven fries, and slaw/salad/veg.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Anything with eggs, avocados and beans!
  • megardner1
    megardner1 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There are ready made tyson chicken . just heat in a skillet for 5minutes and toss them in a ready made salad. I usually prep salads then add chicken takes 7 minutes if that......shrimp does not take long. I usually add shrimp or chicken with vegetables I already have and add light seasoning and just a dash of soy sauce.