Foods that smell bad but taste good, in your opinion.

Options
13»

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Beets. Nothing worse than boiling beets.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ripe camembert
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,499 Member
    Options
    I had a durian candy the other day. it was really delicious! (until my eyes started tearing after a while)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and Stilton cheese. The latter smells like dirty socks.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Papaya
    Jackfruit
    Fish sauce
    Brussels sprouts
    Many hard cheeses

I can't weigh in on Durian -- it smells so strongly of sewage, I haven't been able to get close enough to eat it.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Stilton cheese, smoked herring, liver and onions.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. It smells like cut grass, but I like the taste.

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The smell of cooked broccoli gets complaints in my house, but everyone likes to eat it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    So many I see others have named...pickles, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kimchi, fish sauce, boiled eggs, feta, etc.

Garlic in general.

Subway (the restaurant) smells exactly like vomit to me when I walk in...I think it's some of the bread they have baked, and I always get the flatbread, so I'm not sure if this one counts. I like a nice steak & egg breakfast sub there now and then...the smell is just gross to me. Once I was in the post office immediately after lunch at Subway and I thought someone in the line had puked on themselves and it turned out it was MY JACKET :cold_sweat:
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    cooked broccoli & cooked cauliflower
  • helena99716
    helena99716 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ground meat, raw or prepared... And onion powder. The smell of these actually makes me gag.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ripe cantaloupe
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    So many I see others have named...pickles, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kimchi, fish sauce, boiled eggs, feta, etc.

Garlic in general.

Subway (the restaurant) smells exactly like vomit to me when I walk in...I think it's some of the bread they have baked, and I always get the flatbread, so I'm not sure if this one counts. I like a nice steak & egg breakfast sub there now and then...the smell is just gross to me. Once I was in the post office immediately after lunch at Subway and I thought someone in the line had puked on themselves and it turned out it was MY JACKET :cold_sweat:

OMG, yes to the Subway stench! It clings to you. :s
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Turnips!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    Asafetida/asafoetida, which is a flavoring. I've bought it, but never could bring myself to put it in food I was cooking. Raw, it smells like rotting dead animal flesh. Strongly, even in small amounts, at quite a distance. Awful.

But I've had food cooked with it, and it was delicious.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Durian.

Durian all the way baby. I ordered a durian shake on the second date with my now husband. He thought I was kiddding and the restaurant was in on the joke. No way I'd make a joke by ordering that bad boy. He declined to taste it. His loss. Love me some Durian.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Fritos. Taste good. Smell horrible.