Pull-ups & chin-ups

Options
So I've never been able to do a pull-up or a chin-up (I'm a woman, 5'2", 113lbs) but have been working on this goal for about a month, using the assisted pull-up machine at the gym. I've brought my assisted weight down from about 80 to 48lbs but I'm still far from doing it alone.

Any ladies (or guys) have advice for me on how to best reach this goal!? Thank you!! xxx

Replies

• microwhisper
    microwhisper Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look into setting up a new routine at home... I've been traveling and won't have access to the same gym when I get back.

Hopefully I'm strong enough to do negatives now- before they were just me jumping and flopping down. haha

Does anyone think using resistance bands is a good idea/alternate to the machine?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing upper body, usually twice a week, I'll do some sets on the assisted pull-up machine. I start with a couple of negatives and then do 10/8/5 of assisted. Max I can probably do a few at about half my body weight I think. I'm a long way away from a real one.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look into setting up a new routine at home... I've been traveling and won't have access to the same gym when I get back.

Hopefully I'm strong enough to do negatives now- before they were just me jumping and flopping down. haha

Does anyone think using resistance bands is a good idea/alternate to the machine?

Bands are very popular, but I don't prefer them. They give you assistance at the bottom where most don't need it. The machine is better for doing assisted chins.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing them. I've never used the machine. I started in the squat rack, then progressed to bands but always with assistance getting in and out of them. I have a pull up bar at home, just the cheap door one, that I also used when I was trying to master them but didn't want to do it in public. I always did lat pull downs in my workouts too.
  • microwhisper
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    Just keep doing them. I've never used the machine. I started in the squat rack, then progressed to bands but always with assistance getting in and out of them. I have a pull up bar at home, just the cheap door one, that I also used when I was trying to master them but didn't want to do it in public. I always did lat pull downs in my workouts too.

Thanks vegasfit. Those are some great ideas for when I get back home.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

I like this guide- I am working on it now. :smile: Good luck!
  • microwhisper
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

I like this guide- I am working on it now. :smile: Good luck!

Thanks pent! x
  • newfitmommfp
    newfitmommfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So I've never been able to do a pull-up or a chin-up (I'm a woman, 5'2", 113lbs) but have been working on this goal for about a month, using the assisted pull-up machine at the gym. I've brought my assisted weight down from about 80 to 48lbs but I'm still far from doing it alone.

Any ladies (or guys) have advice for me on how to best reach this goal!? Thank you!! xxx

A trainer told me to jump up on a bar, hold yourself for a few seconds and lower yourself down.

This strengthens the muscles to be able to do pull ups. Worked for me.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I can do a few now. I started with about 100 lbs assistance and now finish off my 2x 10 sets with 20 lbs after the first 3 or4 unassisted.
    Keep at it. Keep doing as many as you can at lower and lower assistance and you will get there.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    When I was most fit (nearly 4 years ago) I could do 5 strict pull ups, about 50 kipping pull ups and 3 bar muscle ups.

While the progression came with crossfit training over about 9 months I initially taught myself to do a strict pull up using a door bar at home.

I used a step to get to the top starting possition then slowly slowly lower a couple of times.

Concentrating on pulling the bar to you, rather than yourself to the bar helps activate the right muscles too.

Due to a bunch of reasons I can't do a single pull up anymore, but it is my quiet little goal right now. I think I'm about 3 weeks off based on how long it took to learn last time.

I have a squat/power rack at home now. I'm doing slow lowers every other day and just bought a resistance band but haven't started using it yet.

We'll see how it goes this time around!
  • microwhisper
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    When I was most fit (nearly 4 years ago) I could do 5 strict pull ups, about 50 kipping pull ups and 3 bar muscle ups.

While the progression came with crossfit training over about 9 months I initially taught myself to do a strict pull up using a door bar at home.

I used a step to get to the top starting possition then slowly slowly lower a couple of times.

Concentrating on pulling the bar to you, rather than yourself to the bar helps activate the right muscles too.

Due to a bunch of reasons I can't do a single pull up anymore, but it is my quiet little goal right now. I think I'm about 3 weeks off based on how long it took to learn last time.

I have a squat/power rack at home now. I'm doing slow lowers every other day and just bought a resistance band but haven't started using it yet.

We'll see how it goes this time around!

Lizette, that's awesome. Thanks for your experience and the advice. Good luck with the resistance bands; I'm thinking of trying those out too. My husbands got iron gym so might use that. x
  • microwhisper
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I can do a few now. I started with about 100 lbs assistance and now finish off my 2x 10 sets with 20 lbs after the first 3 or4 unassisted.
    Keep at it. Keep doing as many as you can at lower and lower assistance and you will get there.

Thanks. That gives me hope. I did a one Rep max today to see where I was on the assisted pu machine and got all the way to 36lbs! So I'm further on my way than I thought.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year to get my first chin up- using the flexed arm hang first then the negatives- after that I was able to gain one every couple of weeks and now am at 6! So keep at it, it just takes time and persistence. It worked better for me not to use the assisted pullup machine.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Negatives, flexed arm hangs, rows,(especially bodyweight rows) lat pull downs.

this here, what Rybo said + keep after it, you will get there Eastcoast Jim
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i loved negatives until i torqued one of those little muscles that lie deep under your shoulderblade, doing the jump. they do do amazing things for your lats, but my experience scared me and convinced me i really need to have the 'scapular stabilization' part nailed before i go back and try them again.

so i like the cable pulldown stacks better than the assisted pullup thingy. mind you, i'm not working very hard on the pullup project itself. i'm more just a demon for the retract-and-stabilize stuff. and at least inside my own mind, if i ever get to the point where i can pullDOWN 130-ish pounds and add a good stable hold at the 'bottom', that should technically equate pretty closely to the pullUP idea. i'll have the raw strength at least, or close to it.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    As stated bove, negatives, dead hangs, inverted rows, lat pull downs, assisted pull ups.
  • brandocalrisian
    brandocalrisian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just training your grip can help as well. You might try adding weight via weight vests or belts while doing dead hangs for some sets. After a while doing these your body weight will feel easier to pull up. Hope this helps