Question re Fitbit Alta HR

Options
Hi all, I currently have a Garmin Forerunner 235 for step tracking, exercise tracking etc etc. Recently though, it's been giving up the ghost. Apparently when I'm sweating it out in an exercise class I die for at least 10-15 minutes with no heart rate and it's getting kinda annoying. I know it's only a little thing and it shouldn't matter if I'm still giving 100% but I'm a data freak and I like to be able to compare my burns. My strap broke and the flappy bit is held down with an elastic band so there's that too..

Anyway, the Garmin was a gift a few years ago and I can't really afford to get another. I'm looking at getting the Fitbit Alta HR. I've had Fitbits before, maybe 5 years ago so obviously the technology is probably a little different.

My question is, on my Garmin I can select an activity i.e. aerobics, running, cycling, I do the activity, it takes my cals burned and pops them on here - does the Fitbit do this? It's been so long that I can't remember.. does it just count steps and "active minutes"?

TIA :)
and sorry for the ramble.

Replies

• Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So I got an Alta HR on Monday and so far I love it! I still probably haven't figured out all of the features but in addition to counting my steps and active minutes, it can sense when I'm working out and logs it as such. However, I'm a figure skater and my Alta knows I'm exercising but it's logging it as 'Sport' and I can go back and type in the specific exercise on my dashboard.

I do love the heart rate monitor and while i'm sure there is some wiggle room in it's accuracy, it was spot on with a reading I was getting from a chest strap kind.

In terms of adding to MFP, I'm not entirely sure if there is a way to sync that data. That said, I mostly use MFP for tracking food anyway.