Keeping on track on holiday

Options
Hi lovely people,

I'm going to up the Edinburgh fringe festival (comedy fest. in Scotland for those of you who don't know). I'm going to be staying at a friend's house, so on one hand, cooking will be fine, but on the other, I'm not going to be in the flat a lot, so I won't be able to make proper meals all the time.

So, what I'm looking for is healthy snacks that I can make before I leave the house in the morning. I'm not doing much bread, rice and pasta at the moment, so it's a little bit difficult.

I'm a veggie, so at the moment I'm cutting Quorn fillets into strips and seasoning with chilli for a good, high protein snack. I'm also thinking about salad wraps. Any other good ideas for food on the go?

Replies

• Bobble2610
    Bobble2610 Posts: 40
    Options
    If you're going to be on your feet all day wandering around Edinburgh, then remember that you have gained all those extra calories, so a few little blips won't actually have any effect...

As a side note... Any decent stuff on this year? I moved down south a few years back and haven't been back since, so I've missed the last 3 Fringes. I used to go every year and see the obligatory Terry Pratchett play, cos there is ALWAYS one on somewhere :o) Geek that I am.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Argh! There are so many good things on! I can't really afford to go this year, but I've got to. I can't miss it! Loads of really ace comedians: Stewart Lee, Andrew O'Neill, Robin Ince, Michael Legge... tons of people.

Yeah, there are a lot of hills in Edinburgh, so I'm hoping that I can burn some extra cals walking around everywhere. No public transport for me!
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi,

qourn pieces fried in a teeny tiny bit of oil, or a splash of water, with some peppers, onion, garlic, and either a splash of soy sauce or some spices, jerk or cajun seasoning works well. put on a bed of salad leaves, add chopped tomato and cucumber, if you have the calories spare you can even dress the salad with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. delicious. i used to have this for lunch all the time, it is very low cal (dont have info on me atm but something like 200 max for the entire lunch) then you can snack on some crisps/mini bag of malteasers/rice cakes, whatever after if you want without having too many calories. :-)

the other option is the quorn pre packeged salad/ deli faux chicken strips, the roast style ones are not as tasty as the flavoured (think they were either barbecue or tikka flavoured) but both low cal. anyway, you just whack all this into a tupperware box (or empty ice cream tub) take a fork with you (or there will most likely be plastic forks at the festival fast food huts) et voila, lunch thats healthy and low cal :-)

enjoy :-) x
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    What about some sliced apples and peanut butter and veggies with houmous? I like carrots, cucumber, celery, etc.. with houmous. Also, if you can find them, nakd bars are really, really good. They're vegan and they make some that are gluten free. They might be higher in carbs than you are wanting, but the gluten free ones are mostly made of nuts and the cashew cookie and cocoa orange are so good.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Brilliant suggestions! Thanks everyone x