Always so hungry!!

Options
Hello everyone :) I'm not new to MFP but this is the first time I have actually been dieting and exercising and sticking to it. I'm going on a month now and I have lost 12lbs. My problem is I am always SO HUNGRY! I'm 5'4 & my starting weight was 260. As of today I am 248.
My hardest habit to break was my "midnight munchies" Its been a bad habit my whole life and thats when the hunger is at its worse. . The past month I have done really well by not eating after dinner but tonight I caved in and made some egg whites and toast around midnight, now I feel like I failed my diet :(
Any advice to help not be hungry after dinner?

Replies

• lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You just have to play around with your calories to see what works best for you. Don't feel like a failure. At least your snack was healthy. This is a complete lifestyle change. Losing weight and keeping it off takes dedication, hard work, and yes..sometimes failure because it's how we learn. Congrats on the 12 pound loss, that is great!! If you find yourself hungrier at the end of the day, try to eat less during the day and save your calories for dinner or leave room for an extra snack after dinner. As long as you are in your calorie range, you will lose weight no matter what time of the day that you eat. Your body will adapt to whatever you do, it just takes a little time. :)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating at the moment? and how many pounds have you set it to lose a week. you have two options, either exercise more so you can eat exercise calories or change your settings to losing a little less each week so you can eat more. :) also make sure your eating nutritious filling foods like good carbs and protein. if your not getting enough you could definetly feel low on energy therefore hungry.
  • ehxsnohs
    ehxsnohs Posts: 12
    Options
    Also I don't know if this helps any, but maybe I need to make some changes to my diet? Anyone have any tips? The past month my diet has been:

Breakfast: Either 2 egg whites scrambled and a piece of whole grain toast or Oat Revaluation Oatmeal.

Lunch: Usually a salad or some veggie soup

Dinner: Usually some type of fish or chicken with some veggies or salad and maybe some rice.

After Dinner: Usually some fruit slices or a fruit smoothie.

And for exercise, I'm a stay at home mom to a toddler so I'm chasing her around all day and in the evenings after dinner my husband and I go for a 3 mile brisk walk and I come home and do the Elliptical for 30 minutes.
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too! I was up at 2a.m looking for digestive biscuits - had about three. I find the best thing sometimes is not to fight it and have something small because its not that you're h ungry but its your appetitie its like your tastebuds haven't got the signal that you're not actually hungry. Sometimes I'm not hungry at all just thristy so in the 'fog' of nightitme I think I'm hungry but I'm actually thirsty. So I keep water next to my bed. Other times its that I haven't had enough of my calories early enough in the day and I am actually hungry. Your egg white snack doesn't sound too bad though.:smile:
  • ehxsnohs
    Options
    At the end of the day my calorie intake is usually about 1000
  • losingtheselbs
    losingtheselbs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tend to get really hungry if I'm up late at night. I usually make sure I have dinner only just before 8pm so I'm still not eating after 8 but I haven't had dinner too early, leaving me to be hungry during the night. Another thing you could do is keep drinking water or simply just go to bed earlier. If you really feel like you have to eat, I'd go for something like an apple or some celery. Both of these foods are said to be 'negative calorie' foods, meaning they burn more calories than they contain just by digesting them. Hope this helped a little, good luck!
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you like having a snack after dinner then I would suggest you skip a snack during the day and save it for the evening.
    I live by the philosophy that it doesn't matter what time of day you eat; it's how much you eat overall that counts.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Also I don't know if this helps any, but maybe I need to make some changes to my diet? Anyone have any tips? The past month my diet has been:

Breakfast: Either 2 egg whites scrambled and a piece of whole grain toast or Oat Revaluation Oatmeal.

Lunch: Usually a salad or some veggie soup

Dinner: Usually some type of fish or chicken with some veggies or salad and maybe some rice.

After Dinner: Usually some fruit slices or a fruit smoothie.

And for exercise, I'm a stay at home mom to a toddler so I'm chasing her around all day and in the evenings after dinner my husband and I go for a 3 mile brisk walk and I come home and do the Elliptical for 30 minutes.

make sure you change it up.
    and theres no reason why you cant have at least one egg yolk if you like them. do you mind opening your diary so that i can see how much you are eating?
  • ehxsnohs
    Options
    Yes I opened my diary :)
    Even though I have been trying to lose weight for a month I have only been keeping track here on MFP for about a week.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Are you serious? Just look at your diary....wasting my time here...
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    after looking at your diary its no wonder your hungry! You need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories and if you are truly burning over 1000 calories a day you need to eat even more. You should try to eat more veggies and things that are bulk that will fill you up. You can have a huge salad with all the fixings for less than 100 calories. Also you need calories for the muscles to get fuel to become more efficient and help you with that weight loss. You also need to stop using the quick add calories as it doesnt tell you anything about what you are eating. Add the items in from the label if you dont find it in the database.
    If you would like, my diary is open and I started out at 265lbs and now have lost 77lbs doing basically what I am doing now every day for the last 5.5 months. You can see i eat a lot during the day but I dont have that many more calories than you. Maybe it will give you some ideas to help with that hunger!

Good luck and friend me if you would like!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    ummm obviously you arent eating enough.... and if your burning that much you should be eating more protein and carbs
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    ummm obviously you arent eating enough.... and if your burning that much you should be eating more protein and carbs
  • ehxsnohs
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're hungry; you're not eating enough. You should really only go that low if it's medically supervised. Maybe try upping it to 1200 calories and if you still feel like your starving add another 100 - 200 calories. You could probably eat 1,600 and still lose weight.
  • francinecowart
    Options
    sounds like your exercise is great!! but like me your not eating enough...still trying to figure that one out myself....i'm thinking of doing like i've heard the french do...they eat very very small portions of food many times, like 6 times a day......thats what i'm hearing needs to be done here anyway, by my friends....and in doing that maybe you don't have to deprive yourself of much...just a thought i am pondering to look into...many here may disagree....good luck!
  • aghaller
    aghaller Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is a really good site to visit, it is called ASK A DIETICIAN (don't know if I spelled that right) and she says NEVER eat less then 1200 calories a day otherwise your body will know it is not getting enough food and will start to hang on to the fat cells and the calories. She says to eat a meal, then a snack, then meal etc so we have something approx every 2 to 3 hours. Keeps us feeling satisfied and our metabolisim working. I think you are hungry because you ARE starving yourself a little. Eat 1200 or more calories daily. All the best to you.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more - especially if you are exercising lots!!!

My typical work day includes

Breaky : 1 bowl of vanilla almound special K with milk @ half cup of milk on the side - roughly 250cal
    Lunch: 1 Chicken wrapwith tomatoes and chipotle sauce @ 1 yoplait thick and creamy yogurt - roughly 300cals

snacks post work vary - sometimes granola bar - sometimes fruit - sometimes more yogurt - usually 300 cals of snacking pre dinner
    dinner i try to stock up - usually chicken with potatoes or corn - sometimes a sub - i usually try to intake 500-600cals for dinner

im not going to lie- i throw in a cookie every now and then - i enjoy a freezie (60cals) frequently in this season. as far as beverages - i rarely drink other than water or black tea.

salad or veggie soup for lunch is NOT enough calories - i was doing salad and apples for lunch for a long time and couldnt figure out why i was starving by the time work was over... i was only consuming maybe 160cal lunch. yuck