fat abdomen / stomach

Options
hi everyone, ive been doing a lot of excercise classes the last month and half, i can see im toning up, but i still have a lot of back and abdomen fat, it just dosent seem to be shifting.... unfortunately i do eat late, could this be the cause? eg i do les mills rpm twice a week, body pump 2 or 3 times a week and cx works once a week why is my middle still so fat, please help...im not overweight, im 68.5kg at the moment

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's genetics, nothing more. Eating late DEFINITELY has nothing to do with it. You can look into various fitness programs to try and do some toning, but weight loss is going to happen where it wants to happen and you're kind of stuck with that.

ETA: Here's some reading that might help more: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

This ^ all day long!!
  • jenniferozzy
    jenniferozzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hi all, thanks for the advice, i think ill just have to wait a bit longer and really cut down calories
  • subtlygold
    subtlygold Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi guys, I have a similar problem. Didn't want to make a separate thread for it so I'm posting here.

I have a normal weight, almost borderline underweight (19.2 BMI) but the problem is I still have belly fat. I know genetics plays a part but are there really no good exercises that can help tone and result in a flat stomach?? (I don't want to lose more weight)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    subtlygold wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a similar problem. Didn't want to make a separate thread for it so I'm posting here.

I have a normal weight, almost borderline underweight (19.2 BMI) but the problem is I still have belly fat. I know genetics plays a part but are there really no good exercises that can help tone and result in a flat stomach?? (I don't want to lose more weight)

Fat can't be toned, that is not a thing. It can only be lost so that the muscle layer is revealed. If you want a lower percentage of body fat while remaining at the same weight, you need to build muscle.

If your core is weak and your stomach sticks out as a result you can also improve the appearance of your belly by increasing core strength through exercise.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You can't target fat loss, your body will burn it in time. I am toning up but for me my belly/lower back is my problem area too and it's the last thing to go. Just genetics. I can see it going down, it's just not going down as quickly as I'd like. But then I am not stronger than genetics and am having to be patient whilst I continue eating at a deficit and exercise.

Just remember that no amount of crunches will speed up the belly fat burning process.
  • lporter0813
    lporter0813 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One fitness expert I listened to said to "skip the crunches" and do planks to strengthen core and flatten stomach. If I get her name I will post it here. Her video was about how we do the wrong exercises. It was a corrective video on the types of exercises that work!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will remove fat from the abdomen and stomach area is a continued calorie deficit.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    One fitness expert I listened to said to "skip the crunches" and do planks to strengthen core and flatten stomach.

Strengthening the core is one thing, but you still cannot target fat loss in the stomach because biology. At best stronger muscles will be better at holding in some of the fat, nothing more than that.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    subtlygold wrote: »

If you are borderline under weight and still have belly fat, it's largely because you have inadequate muscle mass. If you look in the bodybuilding section, it's not uncommon. Generally, it requires building up a muscle base (which may require bulking to gain some muscle) and then cutting back down; and then repeat until you get desired results.

OP, a flat tummy comes from low body fat and adequate lean body mass. If either isn't good, then you won't have a flat stomach. How tall are you? Because unless you are tall, you will probably need to keep cutting body fat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It's genetics, nothing more. Eating late DEFINITELY has nothing to do with it. You can look into various fitness programs to try and do some toning, but weight loss is going to happen where it wants to happen and you're kind of stuck with that.

ETA: Here's some reading that might help more: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Just wanted to stick this link in here again if it was missed before. Good stuff!