Need assistance

Options
Hello! I am trying to lose weight without much success. I have some chronic pain issues and do try to exercise 1-2 times per week. My calories needed a day to lose weight are about 2688 and 2833 for maintenance. For the past year, I've only had 5 days that have gone over 2800. My weight is staying the same and is not coming off. Should I lower my calorie intake? Not sure if I am eating th wrong foods. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just a few starter questions... how tall are you, what do you weigh and how much are you aiming to lose? Do you weigh all your food on a digital scale / measure all your liquids with measuring spoons etc? Is your diary open? 2688 calories a day to lose weight does seem quite generous. You could try cutting it by 200 or even up to 500 calories a day for a month and see what happens, then reassess. Even on 2188 calories you could eat enough to not be hungry, but if you find you are then add a few more.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Just a few starter questions... how tall are you, what do you weigh and how much are you aiming to lose? Do you weigh all your food on a digital scale / measure all your liquids with measuring spoons etc? Is your diary open?

This. Tighten up your logging and try eating 2200 for a while, then cutting back gradually as you lose. Good luck!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Double check your maintenance/TDEE calories - they seem quite high for a woman.

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

To lose about a pound a week, you'd want to eat at a daily 500 calorie deficit. So if your TDEE is 1800, you'd need to eat 1300 calories a day to lose a pound in a week.
  • Myamya123
    Myamya123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    your calories are wayyyyy to high.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you are not sure about the foods you are eating, open your diary and ask if someone has the time to review it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile picture, and you're only working out one or two days a week, that calorie requirement is way too high. I mean, I'm smaller than you, yes, but even on my 10-mile or half marathon days, I'm not hitting anywhere close to 2700 calories needed.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    Calories will determine loss or gain. Food choices may help, or hinder, your short and long term ability to stick to your caloric budget.

As a 5ft 8" obese and overweight male I lost (and currently maintain at a normal weight) by eating in the range you described. I was/am also averaging 18-20k steps during the various time periods.

How much weight have you lost in total? If you had some success earlier, did you ever adjust your calories as you lost weight?

Absent more information about your stats, and knowing maintenance is achieved at about 2688 based on how you measure... go through your logs for month or two and see where you can shave ~500 Cal....

If making different food choices makes that easier for you by all means experiment! However firmly jeep in mind that the overall caloric balance is what will determine your rate of loss
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Walk. Eat less -- Calories In. Burn More -- Calories Out.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you haven't lost weight in 1 year, you are eating at maintenance. Reduce your intake by 500 for a 1lb per week loss. Or 1000 for a 2lb per week loss. Good news is that you know what your maintenance intake is.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    And awesome success losing the hundred and twenty pounds and managing to maintain for a year which frankly may have been a fortuitous break for you as the longer you maintain the loss, the less likely you are to swing back the wrong way!

Sounds that even though mfp has updated your maintenance calories, it has not updated your deficit Target calories.

At this point of time suggest a 500 Cal deficit I.e. ~20% of your 2600 tdee... And keep on going on!