New To Keto

Options
binterla
binterla Posts: 21 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I just began Keto. Doing fine getting my Protein in. I have followed MPG for years and have always consumed to many carbs. Thought I would give this way of eating a try. I am having a hard time finding a sugar substitute for my green tea and decaf coffee. I know there are keto friendly sugar substitutes for cooking. Does anyone use these for coffee/tea? Also, are the infamous "fat bombs" worth making? I still crave ice cream.

Replies

• jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    binterla wrote: »
    I just began Keto. Doing fine getting my Protein in. I have followed MPG for years and have always consumed to many carbs. Thought I would give this way of eating a try. I am having a hard time finding a sugar substitute for my green tea and decaf coffee. I know there are keto friendly sugar substitutes for cooking. Does anyone use these for coffee/tea? Also, are the infamous "fat bombs" worth making? I still crave ice cream.

Welcome to keto. I've been into keto for 3.5 months and down 20 lbs. I currently use stevia drops/extract. Now Better Stevia is a great brand. Or Truvia, pyure are also acceptable sweeteners. Keep in mind higher doses of erythritol, which are in these two may not be good for your body. I was using Truvia for a while in my coffee to sweeten it a bit. That was a mistake, it made me very ill feeling with body aches, headaches and upset tummy. When I switched off it those side effects were gone. So tread with caution on those. This is why I use stevia drops now, it's very pure from stevia leaf so no problems.

Fat bombs are yummy but only use them once in awhile to curb cravings for sweets etc. they are best to not be depended on solely for snacking on. Also HaloTop ice cream is lower in carbs and is delicious. If I buy some, I keep it in the freezer and only take a few bites every so often to help the cravings. Or Arctic Zero is another low carb sweet treat but it's not as tasty in my opinion.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    gn6roojonxkm.jpg
    9dkzs01qiyji.jpg

I use this brand. Both the drops and extract powder are great. Most other sweeteners have added fillers and additives, these don't.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I use liquid Stevia drops for my tea once and a while, works great.

For baking, I use erythritol.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like stevia drops too. I find they work well as long as you go with very little. Two to three drops is more than enough for a travel mug of coffee. I find adding salt gives it an almost sweeter taste too.

I also use it for baking. If it needs more bulk I just add more flax meal, coconut flour or a protein powder.

Fat bombs are a treat. A dessert. I overeat them so tend to only make them for special occasions.
  • steffenzfamily
    steffenzfamily Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love fat bombs and have several go-to recipes for variety -BUT am losing pretty slowly! I'm ok with slow, as long as I can stick to it (been about a month) so you have to decide whether you want to drop fast or slow and steady. Also they're good for days you maybe have grilled chicken breast and not enough fat. Hope you enjoy your keto journey!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group