Easy meals

Options
jillDob
jillDob Posts: 24 Member
WhT meals are high in protein low in carbs that are quick & easy to make , I don't have the time to spend hours in the kitchen.

Replies

• imom2sarah
    imom2sarah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein Bars or Protein Smoothies and a high Speed Blender like vita mix or Ninja. No real cooking . Salads with 2 Hard boiled in it. Thats all I got for you..Sorry
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What's "high protein" and "low carb" to you, and are you sure you need to eat high protein/low carb? If you eat low carb, you eat high fat, and if you want to lose weight, you just have to reduce calorie intake, but you have to do it for a long time, so find a way of eating that suits you.

Learn to cook, get in a routine of having everything ready in time, including, when applicable, defrosting/soaking overnight - and cooking a balanced, nutritious and delicious meal can take 15-35 minutes.
  • Roosh513
    Roosh513 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you want something quick and easy, chop up 3 whole veggies, meat of your choosing (chicken as an example), drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, season with your favorite seasoning blend, and roast in the oven. If you want to add carbs, just drop in a chopped sweet potato.

Time for chopping veggies: 10 min
    Cubing meat (optional): 2-5 min
    Bake time: 15-20 min (depending on meat)

The simple formula above can make eating healthy so trivial and tasty, it's hard to look back. If you bake larger batches, this will feed you 2-3 times! Here's one of my go-tos. I've recently started roasting just the veggies and dropping things like fried eggs in the mix to add calories and protein (soooo good!).

2 large portobello mushrooms (buy chopped for extra time savings)
    2 stalks of broccoli
    1 whole yellow onion
    1 sweet potato
    Southwest seasoning blend

My advice is to practice the basics in the kitchen if you haven't already done so. The more you practice, the more time-efficient you will be. People over-complicate healthy eating and for whatever reason think it takes hours of time to prep their own meals.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For especially easy dinners, look up "sheet pan dinners." You just put stuff on a sheet pan and throw it in the oven.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This week I decided that my exercise increase in protein allowed would be met by consuming a slice or 2 of Cure 81 ham. A big slice delivers 14 grams of protein, tastes fabulous, and is quickly and easily heated. I had sworn off Cure 81 ham early in this journey because of the salt content. I've since learned to love the salt, but I had neglected to reunite with delicious Cure 81. That is my suggestion for high protein low carb meal.
  • d2harvey
    d2harvey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    chicken thighs, normandy veggies, diced tomatoes, onion, spices.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Anything in the crockpot. And also meal prep.
    I make something on Sunday and have it Sunday night and for lunch and dinner Monday-Thursday.
    I do shredded chicken with salsa, meatballs (binded with egg and almond flour). Look up low carb cheeseburger casserole on Pinterest!

There's lots out there!

I also have been eating a lot of hardboiled eggs, but it is making me kind of sad.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I typically do 1 crockpot meal a week and then cook 2 other nights and that is it. Crockpot meals...salsa chicken, beef roast or a soup. Eat it as leftovers for 2-3 days/nights. I enjoy breakfast casseroles with eggs, milk, cheese, spinach, any other veggies you like and either bacon or sausage. Eat it with some salsa or hot sauce for days after and it's even better. In your shoes, I would try and cook something a few times a week, but make extra for the in-between times. Baked chicken is pretty simple, just season with your favorite seasoning and steam some veggies to go with it while the chicken cooks (chicken breast, 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes and it's done).
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use the microwaveable frozen veggies a lot (normally riced or mashed cauliflower, but whatever you enjoy) along with chicken breast: I can have a meal ready in 5ish minutes if I'm using my George Foreman grill, or the chicken bakes within 20 minutes. If I'm not having the veggie steam bags, I throw the chicken or a salmon burger on top of a bowl of greens for a quick salad.
  • dunnee88
    dunnee88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lamb kebab, tzakziki, salad, and maybe couscous or toast a pita if you want the carbs. Definitely my go too quick option.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken, lean cuisines, cottage cheese and fruit. Protein powder smoothies with greens and fruit and flax. I just learned you can freeze spinach and kale so I blend it up with whey protein and frozen berries. And brown rice with canned veggies and curry powder. String cheese and plain Greek yogurt with honey. I'm a master at avoiding cooking!
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I make something on Sunday and have it Sunday night and for lunch and dinner Monday-Thursday.
    I do shredded chicken with salsa, meatballs (binded with egg and almond flour). Look up low carb cheeseburger casserole on Pinterest!

There's lots out there!

I also have been eating a lot of hardboiled eggs, but it is making me kind of sad.

I'm going to die if I don't have a cheeseburger casserole....like right now.
  • mahoneypaula3
    mahoneypaula3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Courgette spaghetti with prawns. Fry garlic, add some fresh halved baby tomatoes, add half cup of water, then more if needed, some chilli powder to taste, low heat until tomatoes break down and you have a sauce, add prawns until cooked, serve on top of spiralised courgette, quick and easy, very tasty
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »

There's lots out there!

I'm going to die if I don't have a cheeseburger casserole....like right now.

I am making a cheeseburger casserole this Sunday lol, it is so good and is why I will keep it in the normal rotation.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My go to is anything with eggs. They are versatile, easy to make and easy on my budget.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you want high protein, low carb, just cook some meat. Nothing complicated about that.

If you walk a real quick meal (with carbs), I would suggest a stir fry
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I made something up this evening in about 30-40 mins total from start. Not sure what to call it, how about "one-pan ditalini with beef sauce," or more accurately, "scrounge the pantry since unable to drive today."

Rough proportions: chop one large onion, saute med-hi in EVOO until translucent. Add minced garlic to taste, let heat. Add chopped green pepper to taste (I used 1 whole large). Saute for 2 minutes. Add 2 hamburger patties, chopped up, to brown. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and basil to taste, with 1 6oz can of no-salt tomato sauce (I used Hunts). Toss in a glug or two of red wine. Mix well, let come back to temp. Add 1 28-oz can of no-salt diced tomatoes (Hunts again) with ditalini as desired (I used about 1/2lb = 1/2 box. Bring to simmer, covered for 15 mins. Serve and eat. The pasta absorbs much of the liquid, be careful you don't let it dry out. You can add other/more veggies if you like (i.e., olives).

You control the amount of protein and the amount of carbs by how much beef and pasta you add. This is a fairly robust dish. I have to compute my macros yet. Good luck.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I made something up this evening in about 30-40 mins total from start. Not sure what to call it, how about "one-pan ditalini with beef sauce," or more accurately, "scrounge the pantry since unable to drive today."

Rough proportions: chop one large onion, saute med-hi in EVOO until translucent. Add minced garlic to taste, let heat. Add chopped green pepper to taste (I used 1 whole large). Saute for 2 minutes. Add 2 hamburger patties, chopped up, to brown. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and basil to taste, with 1 6oz can of no-salt tomato sauce (I used Hunts). Toss in a glug or two of red wine. Mix well, let come back to temp. Add 1 28-oz can of no-salt diced tomatoes (Hunts again) with ditalini as desired (I used about 1/2lb = 1/2 box. Bring to simmer, covered for 15 mins. Serve and eat. The pasta absorbs much of the liquid, be careful you don't let it dry out. You can add other/more veggies if you like (i.e., olives).

You control the amount of protein and the amount of carbs by how much beef and pasta you add. This is a fairly robust dish. I have to compute my macros yet. Good luck.

MFP was my last web stop before bed last evening, so I need to apoloize ... got a low batt alert while typing the above and had to rush off.

1. obviously, this is a multi-serving prep. There were plenty of leftovers. you'd need a large-ish covered dish.
    2. if you think this sounds a bit like beef-a-roni, you'd not be wrong. I think this is different in the one-pan-prep approach, from-scratch (or can) ingredients rather than jarred sauce, and typically, more veg than "mom's beef-a-roni."
    3. doesn't have to be ditalini. broken spaghetti, mix of pastas, even rice or couscous can be used (might take some experimenting on the process). key for the one-pan method is smaller chunks of the dried stuff you're trying to hydrate. i haven't tried this with a quick-cook bulger or any other grains, but i'm sure there's an approach that can work with some experimentation.
    4. i scrounged my pantry last night. i've been home nursing an injury (bicycle crash), so i'm low on fresh summer veg. i'd usually like to add zucchini/yellow squash, broccoli, etc. into a dish like this.