Should you force kids to be active?

Options
2»

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    I used to drag the kids out with me on runs, hikes, bike rides, tennis, swimming, anything to encourage activity. It was those bonding experiences that led me to the conclusion that they are *kitten* and I can barely stand to be around them.

But when they get older they'll remember those experiences they had with you and promptly throw you in a nursing home.

To be honest, I don't think the oldest is going to let me live long enough to get into a nursing home.

You think they'll grant you a mercy killing? I only hope I can be so lucky one day.
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 8 and a big gamer. My husband is the stay at home dad for now, and he's not big on the outdoors. She's a thin kid, but she was NOT getting what I felt was nearly adequate exercise/activity. When I started going on walks more often, I'd bring her with me. When she'd complain about being tired after only a short time walking, I'd tell her that is exactly why she is going to start walking with me more often as it's a bad sign for her health if she gets tired so easily. Guess who has become my walking partner? She must enjoy it because she will brag about being "mama's walking partner" sometimes. She loves it even more if we go along a trail with raspberries, blueberries, etc. Eating fresh picked berries makes it a survival adventure apparently, lol. We're going to hike and picnic at the falls this weekend.

I've found that me changing my diet and activity level has benefited my whole family so far. My husband has lost the weight he wanted to simply because I refuse to buy as much junk food or eat out as often, and he's eating salad more often as he likes how I make them (he lost weight with so much less effort that I'm envious). And my daughter is far more active. :)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My kids are 6 & 9; I don't "force" them to be active. I do sign them up for activities without telling them beforehand. I signed them up for swimming, rugby, tae kwon do (those stuck); soccer and gymnastics (those did not stick). So yeah, maybe I did "force" them to be active, BUT I have allowed autonomy over the activity they chose to continue.

I DO force the kids to turn off the tv after an hour and take an outside break during the summer.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wish my parents had forced organized sports on me as early as possible! My older brother has never been athletically inclined, so he hated being tricked into tee ball as a wee one. I wanted to play on the (quite expensive) weekend soccer team "allll my friends" were on, but my parents were hesitant to sign me up and have it be an abysmal failure because I'd missed 3 years of practice and I'd hate playing in the bone-chilling fall rain. Years of conflict ensued over my lingering desire to play on this specific team, and I got involved with every free school-sanctioned team my elementary school offered, but they finally instead registered me for field hockey in 6th grade and it really enhanced my life. I stayed in the league for 7 years and it was a wonderful community. It also helped me feel connected to my parents and proud that my dad didn't miss a single game on his weekends off. For me, organized team sports helped build a sense of accountability, sisterhood, and self-discipline. It was also part of what I understand now as self-care and shaped how I maintain my sanity through scheduled physical activity as an adult.

I think if you include your children in the conversation about what physical activities they might like, it not only helps ensure they will stick with an activity at least for the season you've paid for, but also strengthens lines of communication for them to feel safe/respected enough to say when something isn't working for them. I'm in my mid-twenties now (working as a therapist lol), and have a wonderful relationship with my parents. That being said, we really did not have good family communication skills and there was a lot of unnecessary conflict because we're ostrich people that bury our heads in the sand or jump to anger instead of exploring why our feelings got hurt.

TL:DR enjoying physical activity is a lifestyle you can model as a parent, but can be enhanced for your child through organized team sports that incorporate exercise with social activity. Finding your child's niche should be a collaborative effort and involve ongoing assessment from the financier and the participant.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I wish my parents had made us kids be active. Everyone in my family is obese and they all seem to be ok with it.
    I take my girls with me to the track when I run, or have them do Zumba with me. They aren't athletically inclined but that doesn't mean I don't encourage activity. Force? No. Because they will eventually just rebel. Make them fall in love with it on their own.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Just saying go play isnt enough. Is anyone out there to play with?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think there's a lot to be said for parents who at least expose their children to activities enough that the kids start to feel confident and comfortable doing physical stuff.

I was overweight from a very young age and obese from teens onward, but I always had fun in gym class (crazy I know especially for a chubby bookworm of a girl!). I never played organized sports and had no interest, and I think my parents knew that I wasn't gonna go that route. But I was taken bowling, on bike rides, threw a ball around with my dad, had a basketball goal in the driveway...some of that rubbed off on me and made me a smidge more "athletic" (loosely using that term) than I would have been otherwise. When I asked to go swimming, they made every effort to help me spend as much time as possible in a pool whether the above ground cheapie one we had at home or the city pool.

My husband's a lot more active than me now (daily runner and loads of other stuff) but he had a way different start...he was a chubby, bookish kid too, but his parents didn't expose him to anything active and he was always picked last, hated gym, totally uncoordinated even to this day with anything involving a ball or racket. They just sort of acted like "ok you're a smart kid, you like to stay inside and read and play video games" and that was that. He didn't even learn to swim (ever), didn't ride a bicycle until adulthood and now he refurbishes antique bikes and helps other people with theirs. But it was a long road for him!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What is meant by force?
    Punishment if they are not playing a sport?
    Ridiculing less active hobbies they may love?
    Locking them out of the house?
    Physically chaining them to a piece of exercise equipment?
    Not loving them if they don't meet activity standards?

I'd prefer to encourage fun activities and get kids involved in something they like rather than force them to do sports or exercise just because I am bigger. Positive reinforcement seems like it would be healthier long term.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    One of mine loves playing outside and is very active but is also OBSESSED with electronics and would sit on them for the rest of his life if we let him. So yes, we do limit him and send him outside and force him to do other stuff
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    We MUST lead by example. If we are not leading very well in this department then we should nudge them a little to start exploring. If we don't take the TV, video games away at some point we are simply encouraging them to stay in involved with this one activity, or what ever sedentary activities they may be involved with.

Children need our guidance, the world is open to all possibilities, if we don't guide them, they will never know how to explore and venture out to determine what they like and don't like particularly as far as activities, exercise, etc.. goes.. My kids are grown, but once upon a time, I saw parents rely too much on teachers and school PE coaches, and did not put enough of their parenting into their kids in this area.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't think of it as forcing anything. It's structuring our kids' lives so they can thrive, giving them as much choice as possible in the process.

My daughter wanted to quit soccer so I said, fine, but you have to play a sport or have some structured physical activity. She was too lazy to try something new so she stuck with soccer.

My parents let me quit sports in high school and I wish they hadn't. They didn't know how to help me make good choices or add any structure at all and those years were a struggle.

• JimmyTooStrong
    JimmyTooStrong Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    a6dpmrpueaxn.gif