Suddenly losing weight too fast?

Options
Okay, so I've been dieting/ changing my life for the past two to three months (and only lost about 9 pounds in that time). For a while it was nonchalant, and then within the last couple weeks, I've become more serious about it.

Anyway, this week, I just don't have an appetite. I've been struggling to meet 1200 calories-- I just haven't been hungry, and I'm not going to force myself to eat when overeating was my original problem (I used to eat for boredom, emotion, celebration... >,<), and the past two weeks were a struggle because I was ravenous for the duration of those weeks, so I know this is just a phase... but the thing is... On Thursday, I was 184.8. Friday, 184.0, and today, 183 (bringing me to 12 pounds lost)?!

Should I be worried about dropping too fast? It's not water loss, I'm still drinking anywhere from 8 to 10 cups per day.

Thanks!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating well and exercising, you metabolism may just be kicking into gear. If that is the only new symptom then I would not worry. If there are other things you are noticing as well, call your doctor.
  • mindiejean
    mindiejean Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    rebelliousroses.. not sure why r loosing weight so fast.... be careful... eating to few calories your body may go into starvation-mode and then you will gain ....
    when I don't have an appetite I eat small bites over a longer period of time
    Hope this helps.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your body just caught on to what you're doing. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to the new lifestyle and start lettingt he weight go.
    Also, you're new effort is probably paying off! As for the not making your calroies or the lack of apetite. Sometimes exercise is an appetite suppressant. but if it's serious and you just cannot eat, see your doctor. But if it's a matter if just being full faster, could be again, your body adjusting. Do try and make your calroies by eating calorie packed, healthy food like nuts or higher fiber foods like vegetables and fruits to get in all your nutrients,
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, last week I had the hardest time to actually eat 1200 calories, but I only figured it was because I didn't have enough food in my room to make me want to eat. :happy:

**** You weigh yourself every day? Sometimes weight fluctuates, and I'm sure you know that... this is why I usually weigh in every week the same day, in the mornings. :smile: ****
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss so far :)

I think there will be very few people who lose weight at the same rate over a long time, there are too many variables to allow that to happen. I think the safest way to look at this is an average over a longer period.

I know that eating less than 1200 calories is frowned upon generally, but not all calories are equal, and if you slip under a few days just make sure your calories are good ones for those days and don't fret about it.

If you lose 4 or 5 or even 6 lb this week, your average from the start is very healthy. If this higher weight loss becomes the norm you may have to evaluate your calorie intake a bit to stop it becoming unhealthy for you.

Good luck xx
  • DeandraLynn
    Options
    Even if you are not hungry, drink a good protein shake. That way you'll properly increase your calorie intake as well as your protein, vitamins, etc.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I think your math i wrong...your ticker ays you've only lost 11lb total and the difference between 184.8 and 183 i only 1.8lbs which i fine for four days. My fiancé has had poops that weigh more than that.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself every day? Some people think that once a week is too often! Your weight fluctuates from day to day, due to a whole number of factors (water retention etc) so weighing yourself every day isn't a good idea.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do, and I know the trend... but usually, it's down, then up... then the same... then down, then up, not down, down, down, for days in a row. XD Especially when I've expected it to go up the past couple days. I mean, the other day, I had a big plate of Chinese food an that almost always results in a bit of water weight for a few days. Not this time?
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    If the foods you are eating are high quality with high water, fiber, and nutrition content then that could be the reason why you are feeling full. This is normal and very healthy. If you are having trouble reaching your calorie goal, try healthy fats like olive oil and nuts. you really don't have to eat a lot to add lots of healthy calories. If this puts you over your fat requirements, make sure you are omitting all the other unhealthy saturated fat sources (including fats from animal products).

There are two main reasons why you need to be careful right now.
    1. You need to make sure you are getting all the nutrients your body needs. It's increasingly important to pay attention to this when your calorie goals are low because you are eating far less food and there are less ways you can supply those nutrients.
    2. Your lack of appetite could just be a passing thing and when it ends you will be ravenous for the nutrients your body missed out on and this could result in a binge. Or multiple binges. And then weight gain.

Make sure you a looking at food as sustenance, fuel for the body. If you look at it that way, you have to make sure there's enough to keep it running. That's why you have to fill up your gas tank before you go on a road trip, right? And the better quality fuel you get, the better the engine runs. Similar with your body. Make sure you are meeting your calorie goals with the right macro nutrient ratio for you (if you don't know much about macro nutrient ratios or what your personal needs are, I suggest doing some research) and at the same time make sure you are eating all high quality, nutrient dense foods. Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I dont think that is a rediculous amount to lose in 4 days - but like mentioned above - your body fluctuates a lot throughout the week. As long as you dont start dropping 3lbs+ a week on a continual basis you should be fine.

If you start mega dropping weight it can be a sign of diabetes - but to me it doenst sound like its dropping too fast - jusst faster than you have seen thus far.

Make sure you are eatin healthy calories and try your best to eat enough. I know I go thru phases where I hardly want to eat - then I will be starving for a week straight. It all balances out over time
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating healthy, I really wouldn't worry. Everyone talks about "starvation mode"...I've had weeks where I"ve lost .4 pounds and weeks where I've lost 3+ pounds. Its all in your exercise, healthy eating, and changing things up when you need to keep the scale moving. Unless you are at your goal weight, and your still losing fast, it'll even out. Good luck!