Keto diet?

Options
Anyone else trying this? Any success/horror stories? I just began a few weeks ago after a 5 day water fast.

So far so good but I'm wondering is it safe long term for weight maintenance or should just be a short term weight loss diet plan?

Replies

• Quadrashocker
    Quadrashocker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I personally have done keto on and off for years, it's not easy, but there are many health benefits and a lot of people that have gotten healthier. It's not for everyone, but if you want to read first hand accounts you should visit www.reddit.com/r/keto. It's a very active and supportive community. There is also a section that is dedicated to the science of the diet. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for most of the last two years - most of that was maintaining.

Keto is perfectly safe over the long term. You could do it for life if you so wish. It makes weight management easy for me, and improves my health so I'll probably stick with it for the foreseeable future.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    rmgordon79 wrote: »
    Anyone else trying this? Any success/horror stories? I just began a few weeks ago after a 5 day water fast.

So far so good but I'm wondering is it safe long term for weight maintenance or should just be a short term weight loss diet plan?

Keto is safe. The question is why did you chose it? If it is for a weight loss advantage, there is no evidence in the way of studies that have proven any metabolic advantage to keto for weight loss, long or short term.

There are other reasons one might chose it, eg. to help with insulin resistance if that is an issue for you. It's a valid choice. Just no additional weight loss benefit.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • millerte55
    millerte55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Tried. Need permission to join the group. Explain why I want to join in XX characters or less... Naw! I', just looking for advice, I'll look somewhere else.