Where to from here?

Options
So I've been losing weight for over a year now with the help of MFP. I'm 43 years old, 170cm I've gone from 103kg (227lb) to just over 74kg (163lb), I was actually 108kg (238lb) a few years earlier. I've discovered I enjoy running (around 40km/25 miles per week) and I'm feeling the fittest I have in my life. Mostly my family and friends have been very supportive, but I'm getting some negative feedback and I'm getting used to starting off conversations with people I haven't seen in a while by saying no I'm not dying of cancer.

Anyway the mixed messages are making me confused about my weight now, with some people telling me I'm too skinny and I should eat more. Personally I think this is mostly based on people being used to me as a bigger guy and it's just not what they are used to. Although I do look a little like the Michelin Man with the air let out as my skin hasn't bounced back very well. With a BMI of 23.6, which is at the high end of the healthy range, I think I still need to lose a few more kgs to be at my ideal weight and lose the last bit of belly fat that I have that might hopefully allow my skin to bounce back a bit better.

So after all that rambling what does everyone think, does my goal of losing another few kg sound reasonable or am I taking it too far and should stop now?

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think it's your body and you get to decide. Years ago, I lost a lot of weight and one of my friends tentatively whispered to me, "You've lost a lot of weight, was it deliberate?" I had to break the news to her that I wasn't dying. My opinion is that if you want to get yourself into the middle of the healthy range, by all means you should pursue that goal. I think you are right, people have a hard time reconciling the picture they have of you at 227 pounds versus where you are now. Give them time. They need to adjust their thinking, not you.

It would be interesting to know what your doctor thinks about your amazing progress!
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What Deb said!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

23BMI is not too skinny. But you decide the right weight.