How Do You Stay "Regular" Toilet-Wise?

Options

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I started taking 200 mg of magnesium every other day (with a lot of water). Cleared the problem right up and isn't a laxative so your body won't get dependant on it. You can take 200-400 mg daily but I didn't need that much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, did you mean BMR? If so, that's your calorie burn with zero activity factored in.
    Yeah, I meant the Base Metabolic Rate. I live a rather sedentary lifestyle so 1200 calories is just fine for me. The only problem is the constipation.

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings and be tracking Fat and Fiber.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    I used to have this problem. I started taking 200 mg of magnesium every other day (with a lot of water). Cleared the problem right up and isn't a laxative so your body won't get dependant on it. You can take 200-400 mg daily but I didn't need that much.

It is a laxative and it messes with your gut and the baceria there. Taking it once in a while should be ok, but not regularly.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    20 grams of chia seeds with water to make a pudding. Add some dark chocolate and a couple drops of stevia and I'm golden.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    make sure you get enough of the 3 "F"'s . . . Fat, Fiber, and Fluids. People should be averaging something close to 25 grams of fiber per day and most don't get enough. You should also get a mix of soluble and insoluble fiber. The insoluble is what bulks up the waste and helps you stay regular.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Are you keto levels of low carb?

From what others have said, every 4 days or so sounds like the norm. Some people even consider that a feature, not a bug, though I personally wouldn't.
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What were your "bathroom habits" before you went on a diet? Everyone is different.
    I know you said you are on keto, how has your diet changed and how recently?
  • Tulip9
    Tulip9 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Veggies, drink water, take a couple of generic Metamucil tabs every morning. Good luck!
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm not intending this to be medical advice, but I'll just inform about my Dr's recommendations. My Gastro Dr. advised to take Metamucil. There is a generic form, too. He said it wouldn't hurt to take it every day if I felt is was needed. It's not going to hurt and will not cause dependency. He said the over the counter laxatives DO NOT work and advised to not take them.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic and magnesium at night.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I also use probiotics and magnesium.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    That was one of the things I hated about low carb dieting. I took fiber pills to keep things moving. Now that I'm eating more normally, I have no problems.
  • tiffaniedemayo
    tiffaniedemayo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that I need to drink plenty of water while eating a high fiber diet. I was eating Kashi Go-Lean w/ almond milk every morning, but not getting enough water. I was so constipated, my large intestine was impacted. Kashi Go-Lean has 13 grams of fiber, that's about 1/2 of what's recommend a day. A few other things that are amazing is Kifer, I couldn't believe how better I felt, once I started drinking 4 oz. everyday. I also have a "squatty potty", that helps align you colon for "elimination". I have IBS w/ constipation, so "going" has always been a big problem for me, but with adding the Kashi, plenty of water, Kifer, and my funny little foot stool, you can now set you clock by my morning appointment with the porcelain throne! Also- for me, I've noticed any dairy products, and/or loads of gluten, like pasta every day, seem to slow down my bodies ability to eliminate it.
    Good luck! This is a very good subject, that not many folks are comfortable talking about! :)
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Low carb... are you eating a lot of cheese and dairy? I've noticed those slow me down a bit.
  • kapendell
    kapendell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do the opposite and I also suffer from IBS. The more active I am, the more I go to the bathroom. But it does help me that I'm drinking a lot more water and eating a lot healthier. Probably a combination of those things.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Drinking extra water, prunes, high fiber crackers (Wasa bread), whole grains, and reading material in the loo. It took a couple months but things are pretty much "normal." Things are not travelling through will quite the alacrity of early days when I was eating more food and a lot more butter. I think I was greasing the skids.