under 1200 kcals a day?

Options
I recently ran into the you went into the "you went under 1200 kcals this could put you in starvation mode " this is true but i think not too much to worry about if your on the high end of morbid obiesity, asked the PCP and he said 1000 kcals is fine look at bariatric patients they consume alot less and thats hoe the weight comes off, when you come away or plateau thats when you need to change drasticly untill the body adapts and then change again untill the goal has been reached (exercise) its a science study it!

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the same - I'm 5'4' and I find I haven't lost anything lately when I've been sticking to 1200 calories, with a reasonable amount of cardio.
    I did lose when I dropped to 900-1000 calories a day when I started (I was going to try zigzagging but got too busy to do it properly) so I'm going to do a couple of weeks 1-2 days low calorie one day 1200 and do that for a couple of weeks, then do a few weeks just on 1200 calories and so on. I'm close to my goal weight but I get so bored if I lose it so slowly. I keep seeing "you will be 58 kgs in six weeks if you eat like this everyday" but its not really happening.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    if in doubt ask a proffesional, do not rely on what people say on here !

Stu
  • cnwofor
    cnwofor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode does not mean you will not lose weight. Your metabolism will slow but you will still be burning calories.
    When you are very overweight your body has quite a lot of fat reserves so if you provide your body with sufficient proteins and carbohydrates it can comfortably use its own fat for energy. For short if you are at immediate risk (Morbidly obese) you can try to speed up the weight loss by going really low on your caloric intake, but for most people staying above 1200 will be the long term way to success.
  • arkman3000
    Options
    agreed i am morbid obese 420 lbs and loosing alot my doc said think of how gastric works it will continue to work untill i get into the "obese" section then this is when the losing it without a oporation will become a challenge, im stubborn i have lots of issues no exercise lower 5 verts destroyed because of the love of cheeseburgers and the the hip is gone as well so 30 secs to 2 mins at the most for me on my feet but still determined to become healthy hopefully i get there before the demise but a nutrionist will br the best judge of you RMR's and caloric intake levels and where your body should be good luck to every one
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth. there is NO scientific proof of this. does your body slow down its functions when you eat drastically less...yes..but by such a marginal amount.

your body does not store fat for later because it thinks your starving..your body needs fuel..and if you dont provide it through food, it'll take it from fat/muscle and in TRUE starvation organs.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1000 calorie diet since April 2010 and have felt perfectly okay.. altho' I am disabled and unable to do any exercise to speak of. Having lost a considerable amount and then finding my weight STS since Xmas I have just put it down to 800 and still feeling fine and losing 6lb last week was a real bonus. Just started swimming again after many years and most probably will put my calories up a bit when I go.

Still have at least another 20lb to lose even after reaching my first goal which will bring me to about 11st 8lb (161lbs)