Depression and anxiety

Options
I was recently discharged from the hospital for my depression and anxiety. My family thinks that I should quit my diet until my depression and anxiety are better but when I lose weight it helps me feel better. I want to continue on my diet but there lack of support isn't helpful. I could really use some friends who will encourage me and I will encourage them.

Replies

• Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Hey, add me! I have dealt with the same issues in the past and losing weight and getting into shape has done wonderful things for me. I'm here to help and support you if you need it :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Healthy nutrition and exercise are two of my best tools for anxiety and depression.

So is ignoring people who are not supporters.

Whatever issues you have in your life, there is a book or an online resource. Dig in! You can recover once and for all from your anxiety and depression.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You have to do what makes you feel better. I am bipolar and have both depression and mania episodes, along with social anxiety. I like you live in a house where the family does not help with my lifestyle changes. While in depression I have stayed in bed and ate not caring about a diet. When my depression lifts a little I try to keep myself busy, I tend to stay in my head to much which only makes me feel worse. So when I am feeling better I do more things then I am more able to focus on my diet. Everyone is different when it comes to their mental health issues. You have to decide what is important and works for you. For me my mental health had to be a priority as it affected all aspects of my life from relationships to work.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have moderately severe, lifelong GAD - generalized anxiety disorder - and mild depression. For me, feeling in control is important and sometimes a struggle. Tracking my calories with this website has helped me maintain a weight loss over 100 lb and helps me stay in control of my health by watching my macros and ensuring that I'm eating a balanced diet. I can think of few things that help my anxiety/depression more than that. It also gives me a feeling of greater confidence which goes a long way to help with my anxiety.

I think your friends and family may fear that using this site will be an additional stressor for you, or lead to extreme behaviors. They probably have your best interest in mind but don't fully grasp the way(s) that MFP can be used, seeing it only as a tool to dramatically limit the calories one eats. If they see you remaining full of energy and looking healthy, whether you are losing or maintaining, I doubt they will continue to discourage you.

I wish you the best here!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    What does your psychologist say? It's hard to advise without knowing you and your triggers, but a professional who has gotten to know you may be in a better position to do so. Bring it up at your next session.

Your family may associate your diet with whatever led to your hospitalization. Even though the two may be entirely unrelated, their concern shows their care for you. Focus on that positive if you can. :smile:
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Meditate
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I am also skeptical to offer advise in regards to the family support because we do not know whether the weight loss is in regards to actual health or a feeling of control. I also suggest talking to your treatment team in regards to the best route.

However, I wish you in dealing with your depression. I've had several stays in a hospital myself, both involuntary and voluntary, for my mental illness. The last time I did, I left with a very supportive network of doctors to help. Don't be afraid to reach out to them. And if they aren't the right fit, don't be afraid to keep searching until you find someone that better fits your needs.
  • BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would agree with most everyone here. You have to do what is good for you AND what is going to be safe. If your team (therapist/doctors) are on board, then you do what is going to be helpful. Though I have never heard a clinician say eating a good, balanced diet was contraindicated for maintaining good mental health.
    That said, I don't know your family and this may well be part of their dynamic. But it's possible they just worry and they want you to be well. Families sometimes with the best of intentions can be very invalidating and that can be a source of anxiety. I would say, if you have a decent relationship with them, thank them for their care and concern and tell them you'll discuss it with your doctor and therapist and that your plan is to work very closely with your team on all aspects of your health. Sometimes it's better not to agree or disagree but to "take it under advisement". Best wishes to you!!!
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    However, I wish you in dealing with your depression. I've had several stays in a hospital myself, both involuntary and voluntary, for my mental illness. The last time I did, I left with a very supportive network of doctors to help. Don't be afraid to reach out to them. And if they aren't the right fit, don't be afraid to keep searching until you find someone that better fits your needs.

This poster is 100% right. It took me years to find a doctor who did not just push more and more pills on me. I was a walking zombie a long time. If I was having a negative side effect he would give me another med instead of changing the dosage or switching meds. Also I went to many therapists I finally found one within my doctor's practice that trained in mental illness. She is also my marriage counselor. Which she could be with me in regards to any loved one to better understand the way my bipolar and anxiety issues are sometimes unpredictable. It is also not just for the other people, it allows me to understand how my actions affect those around me. For some reason hearing it from a nuetral party was more helpful and eye opening then just hearing what I was doing wrong from my wife. When I was only hearing from my wife I got defensive and angry. Best wishes.. you can do this

• lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A healthy body helps a healthy mind. Just be aware you are not getting obsessed, controlling your eating shouldn't be a coping strategy for lack of control in other areas.
    I crashed quite hard when I stopped loosing for a while as so many people had complimented me I started needing the weight loss for a sense of self worth. Not a good place to be.
  • kms375
    kms375 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your awesome advice. My doctor and therapist are fine with me continuing my diet as long as it stays healthy. My therapist has also agreed to talk to my mom about my diet. I can understand how my family is scared that my diet could become unhealthy but everything is fine right now. I'm not going overboard like I have done in the past. I'm never eating under 1200 calories and I'm keeping my exercise at a normal pace. Usually just walking or jogging daily. And more importantly I feel good about myself when I'm eating good and walking daily. Thank you again everyone for there kind words