Quit drinking alcohol, not losing weight

Options
I was drinking about everyday for a year. About 8-9 beers plus a bunch of junk food while intoxicated. I gained 40 pounds. It's been a week since I quit drinking. I've been counting calories but staying about 2000 just because I've just felt really hungry. I haven't lost any weight and I'm a little ticked off. I'm thinking of cutting down to 1200 calories starting tomorrow, having one maintenance days week, and working out 4x a week. Does this seem like a good plan?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was drinking about everyday for a year. About 8-9 beers plus a bunch of junk food while intoxicated. I gained 40 pounds. It's been a week since I quit drinking. I've been counting calories but staying about 2000 just because I've just felt really hungry. I haven't lost any weight and I'm a little ticked off. I'm thinking of cutting down to 1200 calories starting tomorrow, having one maintenance days week, and working out 4x a week. Does this seem like a good plan?

Why do you need to cut to 1200?
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Come down on ur calories slowly about 200 to 500 max. Have patience. Change it up sometimes with making protein higher than carbs or vice versa so ur body when it adapts to having same schedule u have to change something up. U can add in cardio without decreasing ur calories but u would have to do cardio 200 calories per session. Start from 2 days cardio a week and increase the days u do cardio from there when u stop losing about a pound to 2 pounds a week depends on ur body. Good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and eat 500 calories less from it.

http://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'd start with picking up an inexpensive digital scale and before you make changes get your portions where you know for sure what you are taking in. Also, you are still probably going to have a little inflammation and sometimes our bodies will hang on to water to help flush the inflammation. Do you drink much water? There are differing opinions, but I have found more is better than less. Hang in there, keep trying you got this!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale and use it....then after a few weeks you can see about slowly cutting calories if loss isn't forthcoming. Your body is still healing itself so be kind.

This is one of the best pieces of advice you can receive during a stall (but a week or even two or three isn't considered a stall). Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and use only measuring cups for liquids. Weigh even prepackaged food.

Not drinking alcohol will only help if it brings you into a calorie deficit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Did you put your stats into MFP? Set for 1 lb per week and see how many calories it recommends.

You don't have to measure every little thing you eat forever. Since you're concerned about not losing, measuring & weighing will be good way to get your habits recalibrated. Doing this for awhile will help you learn accurate portion control, which is the key to lifelong maintenance.

Prepackaged foods can vary quite a bit, so that's the reason a lot of people weigh them.
  • Winner5555555
    Winner5555555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I aswell have been told not too cut down too 1200 calories. I am at just over 2000 a day. I am going to remain at this for a while
  • Winner5555555
    Winner5555555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    By prepackaged what do u mean? Like tins of beans or tins of tuna?