20 lbs down 80 more to go!

Options
Hello, my name is Katie and I am 30 years old. I've been using this website and especially the app on my android for about 6 weeks. I'm just short of 20lbs lost. I've been reading everyone's posts and I thought that I would introduce myself and try to tell a little about why I decided to get in shape.

I've always been bigger. By adults standards, I'm not overly tall, just barely under 5'5". My lightest was the early part of high school, somewhere in the 150 to 160 range. I was active in school. I was the captain of the JV field hockey team, did track and field and was in the marching band. But my weight still kept creeping up. I'm not sure what I weighed at the end of high school. Then I left for college, they aren't kidding when they talk about the freshman fifteen (or fifty).
I did nothing active in college and was around 240 or so when my (now) husband proposed at the end of my senior year. I wanted to look good for our wedding so I out myself on The Atkins diet. Not the healthiest choice, but it was the popular diet at the time. And it worked for my. I dropped 60 lbs in 6 months. I was a lovely 180ish when we got married in July of '03.
Fast forward 8 years and all the weight is back and really has been for sometime. I wish, like may woman my age, that I could blame the weight on pregnancy. But we have no children so this is all me. We have struggled with infertility and spent lots of money on it. None of the doctors will blame my hormonal balances on my size but I know they are all thinking it. I've been thinking it and getting so frustrated with myself for not doing anything about it.
So this all is my experiment with myself to see what happens when I'm thinner. Will it help me get the child I so desire? I don't know but if it doesn't, at least I'll be hot and healthy. :) Thanks for listening to me.

Replies

• m2purple
    m2purple Posts: 38
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck! I hope this journey leads you where you want it to! If nothing else, you will be healthier! This is a great site for support and for keeping you accountable.
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am stuggling with my weight as well. I am 183 and want to be 130 I have a long road and need to lose it in the next year or the Dr will put me on diabetic meds. i have been on before and started to lose but life got alittle busy and I had to take a brake but I have deicided to come back. Congrats on the 20 pounds.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Wow Katie, you've made a very impressive start in 6 weeks! Good for you. Just keep at it, keep logging and eating healthier. It might take a while, but that's ok, slow and steady wins the race, as the saying goes. I've been losing 4-5 lbs per month, which is slow, but it's working good and I'm learning to eat right. You'll do great!
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    good luck Katie, just one day at a time, is how I have been doing it so far (1 week). I'd be glad to be your fitness buddy. I need support too. My email is irisheyes42us@yahoo.com, if you want to be friends. Or any one else want to invite me? thanks
    Deb
  • rmancha
    rmancha Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One should never keep weight in the back of their head all the time I think it is more stressing than losing the weight. In your case you don't want to wonder forever if your weight is the reason you can't have childeren. Put all your effort in it and go forth sometimes things that are easy for others are not easy for us or so it seems. You are already on the right track anyways keep going and don't turn back....just like the line "nothing tastes better than skinny," in your case it would be, "nothing tastes better than being a hot mama."
    The best of luck!